Shoes

Printable View

• 03-21-2007
    Chris V.
    Shoes
    Well, there is no clothing forum...so I thought I might post this here.

I have been riding bikes for a long time. After a long break of aroun 6yrs, I have gotten serious about over the last couple of years again. My problem is that I can never seem to find shoes that keep me from getting numb feet. I thought that I had found a shoe that worked for me in the Specialized Tahoe, but last night on a 3 hr urban ride I got the dreaded numb toes. I have started really loosening up my laces around the toe box to help with foot swelling, but I am now wondering if inserts may be best.

BTW, I went with the Tahoe because it is known to be more generous in width and I wear a New Balance 11 4E as my sneaker type shoe.

I have thought about Sidi Mega Wides, but I really don't want to spend 150.00 to find out they don't solve my numb toe problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 03-21-2007
    cuffed2race
    1 Attachment(s)
    Shoe question
    I have the Specialized BG Comp Mountain Bike shoe and love them. They have a generous toe box that should help with the numb toe situation. It uses two velcro straps and a ratchet strap at the top. The seperate straps allow you to keep some areas snug while other areas looser. Some people do not like the ratchet buckle, but I love it. It allows for minor adjustments on the fly. I have been known to snug or loosen it a bit while still riding and not even unclipping. Firm enough for riding, but also comfortable to walk around in. The lugs on the bottom also work well for hike a bike situations. They run about $110, but you can sometimes find sales. I got mine at Bicycle Warehouse on sale for $80. They were a huge improvement in function and comfort over basic SPD shoes.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=26123
  • 03-21-2007
    Freerydejunky
    You can pick up some used Sidi's, The older ones have more toe room. Cheap too
  • 03-21-2007
    schmity
    If you dont want clip in shoes or whatever, go look into some skateboarding shoes. I had the same problem with numb toes but after i got a pair of DC shoes, it seemed to go away
  • 03-21-2007
    Hangtime
    I have gotten the numb feeling several times on long rides. If it's warm enough I just take off my socks and ride bare foot in the shoes. This gives me just enough room, suprisingly. I try to buy the thinnest socks I can to avoid the numb toes. You may also want to look into the fact that you may have a neuroma from the tight fitting shoes, see a good foot doc if it does not go away.
  • 03-22-2007
    Chris V.
    Thanks guys for the responses.

I think I am going to talk to a friend that I know via homebrewing that just happens to be a Podiatrist. Maybe I can get him to make me some custom foot beds off the books. I not only have wide feet, but also a realively high arch as well. So, maybe I have some problems to work out with fit before I go looking for a new shoe.

But, that BG Comp shoe looks really very nice. A bit more aggressive than my Tahoes. I will have to check them out.

Thanks again.
  • 03-22-2007
    cuffed2race
    Shoes
    I had stepped up from very basic Shimano shoes to the Specialized ones and never looked back. They are much more comfortable all around. Much better in pedaling efficiency and much better walking/ hiking in the dirt and no less comfortable walking anywhere else either. A custom foot bed may be a neccessity for your feet. It will add a little in the cost, but should be very helpful.
  • 03-22-2007
    PanicFan77
    I concur...I have the above Specialized shoes and love um'!!
  • 03-23-2007
    LadyDi
    I'm a little farther along than you with the numb toe problem. I have those Specialized BG Comps, having switched from pricier Sidi Dominator 5's (was getting recurring tendonitis in Sidi's). Spec's BG system is great-- the whole foot alignment thingy. The toebox is excellent. That said, I still get numb toes from time to time in ANY cycling shoes. I believe it has more to do with pressure on the bottom of my foot at the base of the toes. When it happens, I make an effort to alternately wiggle my toes then curl them under to relieve that pressure point. Works for me but I'm still looking for a total fix that might not exist. Specialized sells orthotic-type insoles (3 levels of arch support) and wedges that might help you. But $45/pair and you don't know for sure what you need...? If new shoes don't help, consider consulting a podiatrist or someone like who can tell you why you get the numbness and go from there.