Shoes????- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes????

mtbr member

Shoes????

I'm looking for a new pair of shoes....currently using Vittoria Rock, but the sole is very flexible. I recently got a pair or new road shoes (Specialized Carbon Pro's) and realized how much better a stiffer sole is. So now I am on a search for a new pair of shoes, but don't want boat anchors. Here is what I am looking at:
    Specialized BG Pro Carbon - 726 grams
    Sidi Dominator 5 730g
    Shimano SH-M225 - can't find any weights

any other suggestions? I chose the above shoes as my team shop carries Sidi and Shimano. I love my Specialized road shoes so I am seriously considering them. I just bought a pair of Vittoria Acent carbon mtb shoes for $75 (retail is $275), but they are a size too big for me - on Ebay now if you want them).

KMan

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I too am looking for new shoes (road ones actually.. but also could use new MTB shoes).

The Shimano SH- M225 are claimed to weigh 740grams in Size 40. Shimano is usually quite accurate with the weights of their products, so those shoes would be heavier then the others you are looking at.

I was told yesterday by a well known writer/fitter/rider to Avoid Pearl Izumi shoes as thier cleat placement is poor for most people.

mtbr member
    If Sidis fit your feet they are the only way to go. They have excellent durability and are the definition of 'pupose-built'. The uppers tend to seperate from the lowers after a few years but I have successfully glued them back together. I think you can honestly expect to get five years out of them with regular use. Which is much better than any other shoe I have used (Specialized in particular, these tended to die on me after two years). S4L (Sidi for life).
    As regal as a Buick!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just got a pair of Specialized BG Pro Carbon MTB on ebay for a great price. Size 44 weighs 760g. Very stiff and much more comfortable than the Sport Mtn I had before. The ratchet buckel is very cool and really works when you are pedaling.

The S-works looks much lighter, 350g, but $275 is a little steep for me.

I recommend the BG Pro Carbon. Love them !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have Shimano 220's(i believe-carbon soles), Specialized Pro-carbon(both road and mtb) and Sidi Dominator 4's. I like the Sidi's the least. Not very comfortable for me. Love the Specialized and like the Shimano's. The Shimano's tend to widen out after very much use, or at least did for me. Plus they have velcro only closures that tend to not work well over time.
    The Specialized and Sidi's both have to be racheted to the last notch to get them anywhere near tight. Maybe the top part of my foot is not as high as most. Have only noticed this problem on all Sidi's and now the Specialized. The Specialized's are comfortable, stiff sole. Only had them 6 months so cannot determine how durable they are. I did have to trim the soles on both the Sidi and Specialized to make them work with egg beaters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What about the S Works BG Mountain Shoe and light at 350g thats a pair,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's the ~weight of one shoe, size 42... definitely not for a pair!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Specialized Pro carbon.

I used Sidi Dominators for years but I like the new Specialized shoes MUCH better. The Sidis were durable but never quite fit right. Although they never felt uncomfortable, my big toenails were black & blue & grew deformed with the Sidis. The Specialized shoes have more of an upward curve at the toes. I had so much more room in the Specialized shoe that I needed 1.5 sizes smaller (compared to the Mega version Sidi)! My toenails are finally healing! Apparently I move my toes around while I ride or the Specialized just match my foot shape that much better. The shape of the footbed is way more comfortable with the Specialized shoe. I did notice the slight outward slant (Varus wedge or whatever they call it), but find it more comfortable. The buckles are also better placed so that no part of it ever catches on the crank arms. This was a problem with my big feet & the Sidis. I haven't had the Specialized long enough to comment on durability, but they appear to be as well made as the Sidis. There is no comparison with ventilation - Specialized wins hands down. You can actually feel the breeze blow thru!

My Sidis weigh ~820 grams in size 47 Mega & my Specialized weigh ~770 grams in size 45.5 per pair without insoles & no spikes (just screws). The Sidi insole is paper thin (~21 grams/pair) while the Specialized insole is more substantial (~56 grams/pair) & much more comfortable. Specialized also has replacement insoles readily available (not cheap though).

I didn't have to modify the soles of either shoe to work with Eggbeater SL pedals.
    Last edited by B R H; 03-30-2006 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H
    I didn't have to modify the soles of either shoe to work with Eggbeater SL pedals.
    Does your sole not drag a lot during release? Mine had so much friction, i could not get my foot out.

SUBLIM8er
    The last time I was looking for a light shoe the Adidas Marathon seemed to be the lightist pic. It was/is 600g something. I passed because it's doesn't match my kit. But, I thought I saw that Performance or maybe Nashbar had them on sale real cheap. I think around 100 bucks. Don't have a clue about flex on it, though.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The bottom of the lugs on the sole do make contact with the body of the pedal, but the friction is nothing I notice clipping out. It's barely enough to scuff the bottom of the shoe & actually seems to be preventing the bars on the pedal from wearing the usual groove in the shoe.

I am using the SL version of the pedals which has a smaller diameter spindle. I have had to trim the lugs on the inside near the cleat on other shoes (Nike & Cannondale) to use with Time pedals & I think standard (non SL) Eggbeaters, but the lugs on the Specialized & Sidi have plenty of clearance in that area. I use the most forward cleat holes. Perhaps that makes a difference.

Maybe I just haven't had enough emergency bail-outs to notice yet!

Aug 2004

I've used both the Specialized and Sidi

I think Sidi wins hands down. The uppers on both my Dom 5 and Genius 5 for road are disgustingly supple and form fitting. The sole is super stiff on both and on my Dom 5's can definitely handle a crash. They've been beaten to crap. The price is high on them but as anyone knows you get what you pay for.

I have never had to shim the soles for my Mallet pedals nor have I had to trim the lugs at all. As far as someone saying earlier that they have to ratchet the buckle to the last notch to fit, did you try adjusting the strap to the inside of the foot and trimming the excess? That would cure that problem immediately. If that doesn't work, then that means the shoe doesn't fit.

Specialized, and Shimano make a great shoe, but you honestly CANNOT go wrong with Sidi. They've been doing this longer than anyone else so they've got shoes wired. That one can't be argued.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the same problem with the Sidis - too wide. I have the strap in as far as it can go but still have only 1 click left to tighten. If you use that last click, the release sometimes doesn't work making it difficult to get the shoes off. Actually, the Specialized ratchet & strap is higher quality than the Sidi. I've had problems with the Sidi releasing when dirty. I've also had the buckles break at the screw. I haven't had the Specialized shoes long enough to know how well the buckles will hold up.

The Specialized carbon sole is stiffer than the Sidi. The difference isn't huge, but is easily felt with your hands & quite noticeable on the bike.

I had to use the Mega version of the Sidi to get the room I needed in the toe box. This is probably part of the reason I ran out of clicks on the strap. That and the fact that I have narrow feet but wide toes (flippers?). The Specialized shoe fits my foot much better.

I agree the Sidis are sturdy shoes. I have 2 pairs & one looks really ragged but still works fine. One buckle mount is starting to tear off the shoe though - from catching on the crank arms. There are also a few holes from wear around the ankle area. I'll keep them for trailwork shoes but I'm going to sell the newer pair.

SUBLIM8er
    Sidi and Shimano are not the only players. So what about the new Time shoe? Same weight as the Sidi, basically and attractively priced. Carnac also makes a great shoe but the MTB line has never really taken off here in the US. Anyone care to chime in on these?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Members who have read this thread: 0