Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoes

Get out of town!

Shoes

I had a pair of Sidi Dominators that I loved but I don't want to pay that much for another pair right now. I also have a pair of Diadora Geckos that I bought based on some other reviews - they have held up well but will need to be replaced soon. I am looking for a pair of shoes that are resonably lightweight and comfortable. I want to be able to race in them as well. I'm getting frustrated because it appears that you either have to spend 200+ dollars for quality shoes (like the Sidi's) or less than 100 for a sub-par shoe. Can anyone reccomend a great pair of shoes in the 70 - 150 dollar range?

jrm
    mtbr member

Why compromise

when you get the dom 4s for cheap..

http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/bike.cg...st=dominator+4

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

you could get another pair of Diadora Gekos for cheap.

TEX

Old man on a bike
    Well, I don't choose a shoe for weight but I am a former Sidi wearer for several years now. Sidi lost me when they came out with that crap Action SRS shoe with the soles that fell off or needed replacement too soon for 200+ and 50 bucks for replacement sole parts. I loved the older Dominators and Technos, tho.

I've found some of those 70-100 buck shoes last just as long as a Sidi, especially soles, and I'd say several of them were fairly light (not the current Lake MX160's due to their Vibram soles, which are great when you're riding on other than xc race courses). Look at some of the offerings in that price range from Answer, 661 and Lake (non Vibram for racing tho), you might be surprised at the fit, features and quality you get at that price point. Buying them at closeout is a great way to go imho.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Get out of town!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Also Curious??

I am also curious about these shoes. Thanks!

Do It Yourself
    How about some Sidi Bullets. They are the same as the Doms with a bit more mesh and 3 velcros straps.
    Long Live Long Rides

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    FIT!

Whatever you get do not try a new brand/model without trying them on.

If you like the Dominators look at SIDI's cheaper shoes. Mostly the difference is in the closesure system (all Velcro, no buckle).

I like the Pearl Izumi shoes. Even the bottom of the line Vagabond performs very well and is durable.

And as mentioned the Lakes are very functional and fit nicely (I like the laces and straps) though not light.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

May 2004

diodora cosmo mtb

Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    I also have a pair of Diadora Geckos that I bought based on some other reviews - they have held up well but will need to be replaced soon. I am looking for a pair of shoes that are resonably lightweight and comfortable. Can anyone reccomend a great pair of shoes in the 70 - 150 dollar range?
    I wear Diadora Cosmo MTB shoes. Stopped making them, but maybe you can still find them.

Has 3 velcro straps, light, I like them. You can probably find 'em cheap now, I bet. Check it out.

The Shimano SH-225s are amazing. I used to hate Shimano shoes, but they did an insole re-design. Awesome support and stiffness as well as durability features. They cost about 150.

Members who have read this thread: 0