shoe/toe covers??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

shoe/toe covers??

i've been mountain biking for many years, but i must have just gotten softer or something, because i'm noticing more than ever before that in these later fall rides my toes/feet are freaking freezing. it only happens while biking, not running or anything. And i definitely use the heavier REI hiking socks.

I could probably do with a better shoe (i have these meshy pearl izumis), but thought i might try shoe/toe covers. Anyone use these? do they actually help at all? looking for any input before I (possibly) waste my money....

was thinking these:

Pearl Izumi Pro Thermal Bike Shoe Toe Covers at REI.com

thanks
    Last edited by starry; 11-01-2011 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    https://www.jensonusa.com/store/prod...+Cover+11.aspx

I just bought these...cheaper and seem to provide more coverage to be warmer. I haven't gotten them yet, so that is all just based on appearance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have pearl izumi shoe covers. I found that the studded edges of the mtb shoes ripped holes in the covers. So I got a smaller pair and put them over my toes inside the shoes. That seems to work pretty well. Add a pair of the toastie toes (the heated packets) and I'm good to go. The covers do a decent job of keeping the wind off my toes.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    I used them for fall rides/cool not cold temps. Mine were 17 dollars and lasted for about a year. The toe covers are awesome BUT

Your shoe spikes will tear through them and over time they'll rip apart. If you have to walk it's very easy for them to slip off of your shoe. You won't notice they're gone til it's too late to go back and search for them.

They're perfect for cool road rides but not so great for real mtn.biking.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by jelloseed View Post
    I have pearl izumi shoe covers. I found that the studded edges of the mtb shoes ripped holes in the covers. So I got a smaller pair and put them over my toes inside the shoes. That seems to work pretty well. Add a pair of the toastie toes (the heated packets) and I'm good to go. The covers do a decent job of keeping the wind off my toes.

Hope that helps.
    Never thought of using one inside the shoe, nice idea. I use the Performance ones (they cost a whopping $4 at the local Performance Bike shop) and they do fine. When it gets really chilly, I throw the warmers in like you and I'm money. I also have some heavy duty Pearlizumi full shoe covers (can't find them listed anywhere to show you) and frankly, they are a PITA.

My opinion is to save the loot, buy cheap toe covers and some good socks and a few of those hand warmers and go have fun. If its too cold for that, put flats on and ride in boots (seriously, we do this a lot here in NE Ohio where winter lasts 6 mths!). If its still too cold, make a fire, have a beer, and enjoy the view from your couch or favorite chair.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!