Shoe Sizing Madness- Mtbr.com

Shoe Sizing Madness

Why can't cycling shoe manufactures build their shoes to a standard size? Go to any website with sizing charts and the "US equivalent" will be all over the place. Look at winter shoes and you're in psycho-land. I wear a 47 in everything but cycling shoe where I wear a 48 in most brands (PI, Sidi, Bontrager) except Shimano which doesn't make a true 48 (relatively). Go to winter shoes and you (despite what the size chart says) loose 1/2 size (with regular socks). One would think you would gain 1/2 size (because it's winter and thin socks don't cut it). So I'm left searching for a non-existent 49 and end up with 50s from Lake which are no-kidding 50s. Added a spacer below the insole (from Mendl boots) and the size is pretty close (long, but okay/wide in the ankle, but useable). I don't care if you make the exact same shoes, but establish an ISO standard and change your markings so there's one shred of commonality between Manufactures. Rant Over, time to Break in the Lake MX-145s.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I haven't bought cycling shoes online because of fit issues. I wouldn't wear wrong size shoes with some sort of shim to make up the difference, just sounds like a bad idea considering you really need a perfect fit in a cycling shoe. It's a bummer but the bottom line is if you want to buy shoes online you need to be prepared to return them a couple times to get the right fit.

Don't worry, be happy!
    No shoes are sizing is consistent. Same as clothing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    No shoes are sizing is consistent. Same as clothing.
    Wat?

Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    I haven't bought cycling shoes online because of fit issues. I wouldn't wear wrong size shoes with some sort of shim to make up the difference, just sounds like a bad idea considering you really need a perfect fit in a cycling shoe. It's a bummer but the bottom line is if you want to buy shoes online you need to be prepared to return them a couple times to get the right fit.
    The problem (at least in sizes 12.5-13) is that no one makes a 49 or you can't find anyone that has them in stock. Lake and 45 North don't offer a 49, Shimano's largest is a 48, Sidi claims a 49, but I've never seen one. I went to the only LBS with winter shoes and they had a 48 Fasterkatt (that they ordered over a year ago), no dice. So I'm stuck between and adaptation and a bootie. Don't need another neoprene bootie to fill with water so I'm adapting. It's not as odd as it seems really. My Mendl hiking boots came with the shims to adjust the fit of their boots as they break in and it seems to work great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    The problem (at least in sizes 12.5-13) is that no one makes a 49 or you can't find anyone that has them in stock. Lake and 45 North don't offer a 49, Shimano's largest is a 48, Sidi claims a 49, but I've never seen one. I went to the only LBS with winter shoes and they had a 48 Fasterkatt (that they ordered over a year ago), no dice. So I'm stuck between and adaptation and a bootie. Don't need another neoprene bootie to fill with water so I'm adapting. It's not as odd as it seems really. My Mendl hiking boots came with the shims to adjust the fit of their boots as they break in and it seems to work great.
    That's a bummer. I wear an 11 and it's hard to find my size sometimes because its so common. I have ran specialized shoes for about a decade now and I really like them. It seems you are dialed for your current pair but I found these with a quick search. I have no experience with them but they look interesting and they have large sizes

Mavic Alpine Mountain Shoes 2015 > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Men's Footwear | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Car_nut, I didn't really consider the Northwave. I don't remember seeing them reviewed anywhere and without a review or an LBS visit, I'm a little hesitant. I appreciate the work though.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm dealing with this right now too.

You'd think that if I wear a 42.5 in Sidi, I'd wear a 42.5 in Sidi.

Well, I'm wrong. I got some of the Drakos several months ago. Ended up selling them to a smaller teammate. Figured the Drakos ran small, got some 42.5 Dominators. Returned 'em. 43s on the way.

At least running shoes aren't as bad about this.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Car_nut, I didn't really consider the Northwave. I don't remember seeing them reviewed anywhere and without a review or an LBS visit, I'm a little hesitant. I appreciate the work though.
    I completely understand that! If the Lakes don't work out though, do keep them in mind. They are well regarded and I love mine. Doesn't mean they'll fit though. I feel your frustration. No LBS will stock such things around here, so I'm left with ordering two or three sizes and then returning what doesn't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    I completely understand that! If the Lakes don't work out though, do keep them in mind. They are well regarded and I love mine. Doesn't mean they'll fit though. I feel your frustration. No LBS will stock such things around here, so I'm left with ordering two or three sizes and then returning what doesn't fit.
    Does make me think about doing some deliberate travel planning. When I travel north next time, I'm hitting the LBSs to see what they have that I need. On the plus side, I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier gloves and love them from 45 down to 20 (or so). My last pair of mid-weight Pearls were good but didn't breath (important on an hour+ commute). Below 20 I'm normally wearing the Lobster Claws unless I'm XC skiing, then I'm going to stick with the Pro Barriers (lower wind speed, more body heat retained).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wait until you have a mens size 15 or 50, really tough. Quit yer complainin'. Ever look @ women's jeans ? A size 2, 4 or 6 by different companies could all fit the same gal.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Wait until you have a mens size 15 or 50, really tough. Quit yer complainin'. Ever look @ women's jeans ? A size 2, 4 or 6 by different companies could all fit the same gal.
    Nope, I don't wear womens jeans and I don't get your point either. I'm pretty sure women shopping for jeans would like consistant sizing too. Do you love not being able to find jeans that fit? My wife doesn't, but at least most places carry jeans her size. Try to buy your jeans on line next time and limit yourself to one brand (that you've never tried on before), the one pair they have in stock and plan on mailing three pairs back for the one pair that's too big, but you can use suspenders to hold up. I'm asking a legit question, perhaps one you should ask the folks who make your jeans. It might make you less grumpy.

Fat & Single
    Northwave 43, Lake 43, Sidi 44, LG 44, and Suplest 42.5... the joys of buying online.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nope, I don't wear womens jeans and I don't get your point either. I'm pretty sure women shopping for jeans would like consistant sizing too. Do you love not being able to find jeans that fit? My wife doesn't, but at least most places carry jeans her size. Try to buy your jeans on line next time and limit yourself to one brand (that you've never tried on before), the one pair they have in stock and plan on mailing three pairs back for the one pair that's too big, but you can use suspenders to hold up. I'm asking a legit question, perhaps one you should ask the folks who make your jeans. It might make you less grumpy.
    I don't wear women's jeans either. I'm in agreement with you. They can make tires to fit an exact size, why not shoes? I can not even FIND a size 15 sometimes, like the company stops at size 13 or 14.

Lone Wolf
    I buy local and try on shoes,,, problem solved...

Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    I buy local and try on shoes,,, problem solved...
    Winter shoes, Midwest, no local availability,,,,,problem.

Fat & Single
    Australia -

We don't them in that colour... only black.
    We don't have that size left.
    We cant get that style.
    We can order them in for you.

Its either buy a stocked item or take a chance and wait for them, sometimes for weeks to end up with "we cant get them anymore"

I used to try on and buy shoes and clothing local but with the price difference and the constant visiting shops looking for certain apparel and walking out with nothing gets you feeling like using the place as a dressing room. No, I absolutely never try an item on in a LBS then buy online but sometimes it feels like that when you go looking for a certain item, they provide an alternative and you dont like it, and I know that the bike shop owners/employees here, talk about people doing it on a daily basis.
    I have a good relationship with a few of my LBS's so I keep that strictly bike and component related.

A few of the big online bike shops now have an Australian returns office so I can order a 43 in a shoe, realize I would be better with a 43.5 or 44, order the new size then return the 43 to the Aus office and they charge me $10 for non warranty return.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Shoe Sizing Madness

Selection's a bit of a problem for me too. And time. One of the saving graces of online shopping is that I can do it from my smartphone, during my commute. My shoes will magically show up at my house on Monday. If they don't work out, I can put them on the UPS shelf in Shipping and Receiving at work. The process might take days or weeks, but I don't have to lose hours taking a long lunch or blow my carpool getting home early for retail. Or, worse yet, lose ride time on the weekend. (The commute and carpool are the reason for my post count lately too.)

I actually hunted around for a shop carrying Sidi. Didn't do brilliantly well. I suppose that's at least partly the majors taking over more and more square footage at the shops they allow to carry them. Lame.

I feel like lately when I go to a shop looking for something, they have some tangential version of it that one of the few brands they can carry or the Big S makes. It does make The Internet a more attractive option.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I bought a pair of Giro Code shoes last summer. Looking at my current shoes/snowboard boots/skates/ski boots/ I came to the conclusion that I'd be a 40. Turns out they were too tight, went to a 41 as I wasn't sure a 40.5 would give enough room. Still haven't seen a Giro 40.5 to see the fitting on them, but I may go 40.5 if I get a pair of Giro road shoes.

I'd argue that the mondo (cm) sizing is the most accurate. I know that Im a 25 for ski boots, and I'll wear a 25.5 for Nike runners, 5.10 Impacts, 5.10 Line Kings, Vans, etc

I found a really good chart online that had sizing conversions between various brands a few weeks ago, but no idea from where. I think maybe backcountry.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Best bet to post up here what you are wearing now and looking for so that people cna give you examples of what works for them from experience.

Sidi - 44 and can accomdate a medium/thick sock
    Shimano - 44 and can accomdate a real thick sock in the winter boots, medium in road shoes
    Pearl Izumi - 43.5 - Fit seems good but heel slip an issue sometimes hike a biking giving me blisters on occasion with my x-projects thinks about seeling them on fleabay
    Fizik - 43.5 Durability was an issue but fit ws amanzingly comfortable
    Giro - wearing a 43.5 but can only use a thin sock
    Mavic's fit was amazing as well but cannot remember what size I had I think 9.5

Plug to the shimano MW-81s (winter boot) seem to be pretty true to size in my experience order what you would in a regular shimano shoe and they should be good.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

HEMIjer,
    Your last comment is on the mark, Shimano's winter shoes seem sized the same as their other shoes. The problem is that Shimano's regular 48 run small too. I looked but don't see it offered in a larger size anywhere. I think the Lakes will do nicely, just waiting for some cold to try them out in.