Shoe sizing?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoe sizing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Shoe sizing?

So I just took delivery of a new pair of bike shoes (Specialized Tahoe), my first in fact, because no bike store with 100miles has bike shoes that a) work on flats and b) aren't 5.10s.

Do bike shoes come in 1/2 sizes? It seems they make them in whole numbers only and I'm stuck with either too tight (feet would fall asleep) or too big (blister city). I can't imagine these stretching out that much.

The part that stinks is that Specialized makes the consumer pay the shipping to return the shoes. As they say, Buyer Beware.

Save Jesus
    There are an incredible number of bike stores around you that sell shoes that work with flats. They are the SPD shoes that have laces and full treads on the bottom. Go to your local REI and take a look at the Shimano MT33. Most bike shoes these days come in european sizes, whole numbers.

EDR
    Zappos, best store on the web. They have cycling shoes and shipping is free both ways. If in doubt order two sizes and send one back.

Shoes, Clothing, and More | Zappos.com

mtbr member
    Two solid recommendations.

Keep in mind, REI is having their big sale right now through Monday. Lots of shoes on sale and, if you're a member, you can knock 20% of one full-price item.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I called up another half dozen bike stores and three REI locations. Ended up finding one that had the shoe I was looking for in the size I wanted. At lunch, I made the drive and picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Enduro III for $90+tax at REI (list is $130). They met my requirements: Have to work on flats, no laces, can't break the bank and have to let your feet breathe. The added bonus is that the panel that covers up the clip mounts can be reattached whereas others in this segment are cut out of the sole when you want to add clips.

Amazingly, they're lighter than my trail runners.

EDR
    Lots of people love the X alps. I tried them on but they just didn't feel right to me though. Enjoy! those are nice shoes, even for HAB'ing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ok. So while the shoes are very comfortable, they are NOT at all practical for riding on platforms. The hard bottom does not allow for the spikes in the pedal to grip, which happened perfectly with my trail running shoes.

So what does one do? Send the shoes back?

Nope.

I ended up buying a set of Shimano 520s.

EDR
    I guess your posts now confuse me. You said you wanted shoes for flats that were not 510's but you went and bought clipless pedal shoes. Then you are surprised your clipless pedal shoes don't work well with flats. 90% of all clipless shoes don't work well with flats, especially with the cleats installed. And without cleats why would one even purchase clipless pedals? Anyway it sounds like you have it all sorted out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I thought those shoes would work with flats since they had a considerable amount of tread on them and they didn't "require" cleats.

Members who have read this thread: 0