Shoe problem- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoe problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Shoe problem

I just got new shoes and tried them out for the first time yesterday. due to trail conditions I just took my hardtail on a 10 mile road trip. About halfway through my toes started getting pins and needles and going numb a little bit. I never had this with my previous shoe, so I'm hoping it just positioning on the pedal or something setup wrong. Anyone have any advice on changes I can make? I don't think I had them too tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have found the inner sole too hard on some shoes, leading to the pins and needles feeling. Adding a thin inner sole maybe with gel might help. I use Superfeet inner soles on all of my shoes and they usually do the trick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What type of shoes? It could be due to any number of reasons. Cleat positioning, laces/retention system too tight, or simply you need to break the shoes in.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Specialized Rime Expert with the a top boa dial and 2 lower Velcro straps.

Cleat positioning was the one I was wondering about. I mounted in the front hole towards the front of the shoe. Maybe I'll try to slide it back and see what happens?

mtbr member
    Maybe they just don't fit you very well.

mtbr member
    I have found that whenever I changed to new shoes, there is an adjustment period. Sometimes numbness, pain, or just not too comfortable. Generally if you gut it out, your feet will adapt to them after several rides. However, if they are too tight or a really poor fit that you get blisters then you may not be able to adapt to them.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Always run the lower straps at the loosest you can get. The only place where a firm purchase is needed....is the heel cup.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    I'm all for some room in the shoe. It they're tight or restrict my feet in some way, I get pain, cramps, numbness.... The other day I didn't have my normal socks so rode with some bulkier socks. N.G. nasty foot pain, even trying to loosen the fastening. The next ride with normal socks and all was good again.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Those boas can crank pretty hard, and that can affect blood flow to your feet. Try a little looser.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    They seem to fit pretty well. I do usually crank shoes pretty tight. I'll try loosening the toe strap and moving my cleat back a little. Don't know when I'll get out next, northeast is about to get dumped on it seems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I finally got them out for their second ride this weekend and moved the cleat back a little bit. The ride was a 17 mile XC race. Don't know if it was the positioning or the type of riding but the shoes felt great and my foot did not go numb at all. I tightened the BOA, but only lightly snugged the lower Velcro.

EAT MORE GRIME
    what you need are some good guy shoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEfOkcmXEyQ