Shoe or Pedals- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoe or Pedals

mtbr member

Shoe or Pedals

This was tricky to find the right place so going to put it out there and hope to get some input.

Not a bike guru, just riding and enjoying it. However, I am noticing the issues that comes with pedals and shoes. Let me explain further.

We are talking about 3 different things:
    Specialized Hybrid - pavement and some dirt trails (nothing crazy)
    Trek Fuel - More rugged trails
    Schwinn Airdyne - Exercise

From the Hybrid, to the Mountain Bike to even my Airdyne my feet are slipping off the pedals a lot lately.

I have tried a few things so far:
    Asics Sneakers
    Vans
    Sketchers Go Walks

Not really into the bike specific shoes but starting to wonder if I should go in that direction OR/AND change my pedals.

I Google it and man I am overwhelmed with choices, brands, types, and so on.

Is there a site that simplifies it and helps me make a better decision as to what to do?

I really don't want to spend a lot of money on trial and error. Don't mind getting the right thing (within reason), but don't want to make a bunch of mistakes before I make the correct choice.

Thank You.

mtbr member
    Clipless is always the best answer if you don't want any slipping off, and for smoother riding (gravel, road, asphalt, smoother trails), they are great. Shimano 520 for $25 plus $50-$100 for shoes. More power to the pedals. For rocky/rooty singletrack where I've suddenly found my bike is no longer underneath me, I use pinned platforms with bike shoes. About $30+ for some decent platforms, and ~$50-$100 for bike specific shoes.

things to look for in platform specific bike shoes is a grooved bottom (look up five ten shoes) that will engage the pins. Street shoes have big knobs that don't really engage pinned shoes properly. street shoes also can be made out of softer rubber, which is great for walking on side walks, but gets torn up by metal pins.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The easiest and cheapest solution will be pinned flat pedals. I've used the Welgo MG-1 and put longer pins on them and they're very durable. Sneakers have flimsy soles, so you'll still have some slippage and a lot of flex which will affect your pedaling and your foot positioning while riding. If that's not too important to you and just want to ride, then there is nothing wrong with that.

mtbr member
    Yeah after posting this I found a few sites that clarified the things I was confused on. The shoes don't seem to be too hard to narrow down which ones I will go with, but the pedal choices are ridiculous. What happen to the days a pedal was just a pedal?

mtbr member
    When you're on a $50 wallyworld bike, a pedal is a pedal. When you expect performance, pedals are important.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Trek Fuel EX 5 2015 Model & 2016 Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc.

I once had a bike from Costco...man that bike sucked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    A pedal can still be just a pedal, hence why they still make plastic bmx style pedals. They're just a lot more rabbit holes to go down when it comes to components nowadays.

mtbr member
    Decided I am going to try studded for now. I will be buying only one pair for now, put it on the mountain bike for I use that the most. If I like it a lot I will then get pairs for the other bike and Airdyne. Now the question is brands....

mtbr member
    Another thought on the flat pedals I've been looking into, consider the weight. Some of them top off at about a pound (450 grams per pair) while the lighter ones can be almost half that. Might not matter too much for some riding but then again, why haul extra weight if you don't have to?

mtbr member
    Well ever since I been riding (on the past few trips in my Vans) and really feel and get a better grip on the pedals, this whole pedal change for now is on hold.

mtbr member
    On my Road bike I use Shimano MT34 shoes w/ M520 Clips. On the Mountain bikes 5.10 Shoes or Giro Jacket MTB shoes with pinned flats. Dont worry OP, there is a lot to choose from but trust me...get a nice set of flat pedals with pins and 5.10 shoes anything with the stealth rubber compound.
    2014 27.5" SC Blur TRa:cool: - 2014 IP-106 Chiner 29er :nono: - 2005 Fuji Team SL 16.2lbs -:thumbsup: