Shoe issue.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shoe issue.

mtbr member

Shoe issue.

I seem to get some rubbing on the outside of one foot's pinky toe and the top/side of the foot just behind it. I've tried sizing shoes a little bigger, a little smaller, tried thicker socks, thinner socks, two-layer socks (blister free), different insoles with more or less arch support, moving my cleat a bit-some things help a bit but nothing eliminates the trouble all together, especially on longer rides. Any other suggestions? Riding 3-4 days in a row gets downright painful! (and I have a multi-day tour coming up soon...)

Magically Delicious
    Duct tape the toe?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Amputation?

Weird one. I have no idea how to help, I just wanted to make the joke :0)

mtbr member
    Adhesive Moleskin, available at a pharmacy or hiking equipment store, should do the trick. Basically you stick it to your skin so that it can suffer the abrasion for you.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Even better than duct tape or moleskin is leukotape. I learned the trick from PCT and Appalachian Trail through-hikers. It will stay on your feet for days because the adhesive is so strong. I've had it stay on my feet for many miles and many days (backpacking) and that includes swimming in alpine lakes daily. (by the way, it doesn't rip your skin off when removing)

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Medical-Le.../dp/B000E59HXC

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Shoe stretcher https://www.amazon.com/FootFitter-Pr...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Position bunion plug at the issue site. If a support hole is not where you want added room, drill a new hole, or remove the plug's anchor shaft then tape the plug to the stretcher.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thoughts and chuckles, folks. I also googled and found a recommendation for body glide or similar chafing prevention goop. Tape or moleskin would be my second choice though I would rather not have to worry about it getting wrinkled and causing more trouble than it cures, or having to reapply it.

My road shoes, which are worse, are a 1/2 size bigger than my MTB ones which aren't as bad--I think the bigger shoes lets my foot move around too much and chafes. My left foot is the troublesome one-seems to be a bit smaller volume than my right--a pair of shoes that is almost too snug on the right, still feels a bit sloppy on the left. I tried going a half size smaller on the left but then it's too tight and crowds my toes. So I guess I need to shop for new shoes too, though I'd rather not spend the money right now...just damned poor selection in my size locally, and I've wasted a TON of money trying to get shoes that fit and suit me online. I just need to stop trying that-it's a big pain in the, um-foot! (and wallet)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I use a larger shoe stretcher for the big foot.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I've got a pair of S-Works Trail's that get me on the outside of the right little toe. The stretchers look like what i need.

EAT MORE GRIME
    go buy new shoes you like most

go find some old timer cobbler who can rebuild shoes

have him customize the shoe for you. he can (or may be able to) rip it apart and
    rebuild it to fit your feets

find a cobbler first and find out if he can do it,
    most can, that is what they do for a living

mtbr member
    I stopped by my local running shop and spoke to a guy about the toe/foot chafing issues I'm having. He suggested Bodyglide before I even mentioned finding it via google so I bought a $1 sample size stick and I'm going to give it a try.