Shoe Companies: I give up.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Shoe Companies: I give up.

I have read every post about flats for wide feet. Here's the summary so you don't have to: THERE AREN'T ANY. NONE. GIVE UP.

How about some company take pity on us and make a flat in 4, 5, or 6E (that's what "wide" feet are. "E" is not wide; sorry). I promise we'll all buy it.

Enjoy your 5.10s, all you Euro-footed shredders. I'm jealous and blistered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Why limit yourself to bike specific shoes? I ride in Emerica skate shoes that were recommended here, they grip just as well as my previous 5.10. The toe is damn near indestructible, and they come in wide.

Point is look elsewhere.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Over here in NZ, we don't usually have the choice of widths. Shoes are wide, or not. No labels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for that idea Fluidworks, but according to Emerica's current website, none of their shoes come in widths at this time. My searches of skate shoe retailers have come up dry or false (shoes listed in search results do not, in fact, come in widths). Still looking...

mtbr member
    if you are wanting a wide supergrippy shoe for platforms... try Vans with the waffle sole. i have 10.5 WIDES. they fit great, are way cheaper than overpriced 510's, stick like glue and last. i have the classic hightops and they were $45 at the Vans outlet.
    Specialized Camber 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get shoe that fits and get them resoled with climbing rubber. Not cheap (resoling is additional 40-50$ - don't know US prices) and resoled rubber might get delaminated eventually but it is one option.

Personally I haven't found 5.10 cycling shoe which would fit my feet but their approach shoes fit ok and work well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Vans with the waffle sole, done.
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Thanks for that idea!

Quote Originally Posted by markom View Post
    Get shoe that fits and get them resoled with climbing rubber. Not cheap (resoling is additional 40-50$ - don't know US prices) and resoled rubber might get delaminated eventually but it is one option.

Personally I haven't found 5.10 cycling shoe which would fit my feet but their approach shoes fit ok and work well.
    Thanks! None of the suggested shoes are actually available in widths ("runs wide" is not going to do it), so resoling is great idea that hadn't occurred to me! It looks like prices are similar here for "approach shoes", turnaround time is reasonable and 5.10 soles are available. WAY cheaper than a custom shoe.

Great plan and much appreciated!