Shoe that can do both?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Shoe that can do both?

Hi all, longtime lurker and renewed trail rider here. I've had the Crank Bros candy clipless pedals on my MTB for years as I've mostly been riding with slicks around town. I do love being clipped in. Getting back into the dirt again, however, I wanna up my game and work on getting off the ground more, doing manuals, hops etc... It's been scary/hard practicing that stuff clipped in, so got the Crank Bros double shot combo pedals so I could have the option to ride both ways.

So then, are there shoes that can handle both flats and clips on the same ride?

I like the idea of clipping in on the long stretches of a trail but then flipping over to the flats on the flowy descents and pump tracks that pop up.

Is there a shoe with the cleats recessed enough for the flat side and a firm (but squishy enough for flats) sole to ride both ways in the same ride?

Thanks in advance.

Derrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ride flats. I used to ride clipless mostly, switched back to flats. Past Whistler trip we did theepic Lord of the Squirrels, 5700 feet up, then down. Did fine in flats, didnt miss clipless. Actually not being in super shape i spent a lot of time walking too and was glad for the flats!
    Tyere are a number of clipless shoes that have enough tread to walk decently, but the cleat will want to scrape on flat pedal pins. Youll prob need to experiment with pedals, find some you can remove center pins maybe.
    Oh wait, you're talking on same ride? I think its been most peoles experience that the compromise two on one pedal is exactly that, a compromise. And a pain to flip the pedal to the sidenyou want at the time

since 4/10/2009
    Don't do it. Pick one or the other. Use pedals designed for one specific type of use and only one specific type of use. And use shoes to go with them.

I have both clipless and platform pedals. I have shoes that go with either pedal style. Works great. I don't compromise, no matter which pedals I decide to use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Look into 5:10 shoes , there are a few that are actually set for clipless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No. There is no shoe nor pedal that work well doing both--do not believe what any pedal pusher or shoe salesman tells you.

If you are uncomfortable in clipless for that type of riding then get flat pedals and shoes for flat pedals.

If you don't like changing your pedals out then consider a second bike. Although, I was wondering if you already have 2 wheelsets since you said you mostly ride your bike with slicks around town, or are you getting a second wheelset, or going to permanently replace the slick tires with knobby tires on the same wheelset?

Reason I asked is changing pedals is much faster/easier than changing tires frequently and cheaper than buying a new wheelset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +1 on eschewing the combo. Go one or the other. I was exclusively clipless for ~15 years before going flats two years ago. For a time I had 5-10 Kestrels which are flat/clipless combo shoes and found them too much of a compromise.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    While I kind of tend to agree with the others, I know and ride with several guys who have chosen to go this route and seem to do just fine, me personally I'd never do it, pick one or the other. So what you're looking for is a skate style looking shoe, Five10s being probably the most popular, that's all the help I can give, sorry.

Men's Mountain Shoes 2 Hole (SPD) | Jenson USA (Page 1 of 3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Just go flats everywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Clipless shoes will give you no confidence when being used on a flat pedal, which defeats the purpose of using them for hard sections. If you must then something with a flat sole like Five Ten of Specialized 2FO have to be used.

I look at hybrid pedals as more of a choice between wearing clipless shoes OR normal shoes, not something to switch around on mid ride. They make sense to have on a commuter bike since you might need normal shoes one day and clipless the next, but on a mountain bike Id rather just switch the pedals out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks all... kinda figured as much about the combo being a compromise. And I do in fact have two wheelsets, so swapping out pedals doesn't seem like too much of a big deal, since I'm swapping wheels anyway. Will probably keep the Crank Bros double shots as my clipless option as I'm used to the eggbeater entry , and I can hop on the flats side when my 8 year old wants to take a lap around the block or something minor...also wouldn't mind a little more platform than the Candys have... Then I'll probably get some true flats and shoes to match for the dirt.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickO View Post
    Thanks all... kinda figured as much about the combo being a compromise. And I do in fact have two wheelsets, so swapping out pedals doesn't seem like too much of a big deal, since I'm swapping wheels anyway. Will probably keep the Crank Bros double shots as my clipless option as I'm used to the eggbeater entry , and I can hop on the flats side when my 8 year old wants to take a lap around the block or something minor...also wouldn't mind a little more platform than the Candys have... Then I'll probably get some true flats and shoes to match for the dirt.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're doing that then just get some mallets. I was doing the same thing.
    Clipped in for trails, normal shoes for riding around the neighborhood with kids.

I eventually just went back to flats full time.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    For a time I had 5-10 Kestrels which are flat/clipless combo shoes and found them too much of a compromise.
    I have the Kestrels and they are not a combo shoe they are just a clipless shoe with grippy tread for walking. I tried them once with flat pedals, they don't really work well at all because there is no tread where the cleats go which is like half the area of a flat pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    If you're doing that then just get some mallets. I was doing the same thing.
    Clipped in for trails, normal shoes for riding around the neighborhood with kids.
    I've had Mallets before as well, but they aren't for good for riding not clipped in unless it is a very short casual ride and not of the mountain bike variety. But they work ok for the purposes you describe.

mtbr member
    Just change pedals when you wanna stunt around and wear flats. Switch to clipless otherwise.

mtbr member
    I use Giro Rumbles for my clipless road bike and they work great. They are also usable on my MTB with Chesters and better than running shoes, but not as good as my 5.10 Freeriders. I agree...get shoes specific to your pedals.

Opinions vary and clipless on the MTB trails do have their (enthusiastically vociferous) proponents, but despite my 20 years of experience with SPDs on the road, I have a strong desire NOT to be clipped in on our local singletrack trails. Lots of traverses with steep dropoffs into deep ravines, and an unsuccessful or delayed dab can easily turn into a long slide downhill.

Giro Rumble

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I suggest changing pedals.