Shin protection- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shin protection

mtbr member

Shin protection

There’s been a lot of discussion about knee pads. But my problem is that at 70 y/o, my skin is thin and bruises easily. Some of the Singletrack I ride is very narrow with briars and branches leaving me bloody after a ride. I was thinking of wearing a soccer type guard. Anyone else to this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Seems like it should work. FWIW, I hope to ride long enough (another 20ish years) to be able to write a post like this. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Yup. Still at it. Just got back from AZ. Mass snow sucks. Even with a fat bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    You could also look at bmx shin pads. The soccer guards I've seen generally have either the bulky ankle guards or the shin guard is just big enough to pass soccer regulations.

Demon Cleaner
    I've tried most of the lightweight, major knee/shin pads. My reasoning was more along lines of 'in for a penny, in for a pound' but at 49 my skin isn't as elastic as I'd like too.

The best I've found is the G-Form Pro-X. I can leave these on for long rides without a problem. They run hot, but that's part of the trade off for any pad. My major complaint is fit. They do start to slide. However, one grab and pull is enough for a short ride. A couple on a longer. I also plan to modify my set to elminate this (According to their chart I'm a large and the medium feels uncomfortably tight, but I'm going to add a velcro strap above the top of the calf and probably take in the thigh a tinny bit).

The Alpinestars Alps 2 is a contender. It's a heavier pad and still breathes fairly well. However, it chafes a bit and the real killer for me was that it isn't listed as machine washable. I've had Alpinestar Paragon pads break in half in the washer before and I suspect the Alps 2 would eventually do this too.

The 661 EXO II is too much like a loose sock and doesn't feel like it has enough protection. Too bad really as it's cheap and ventilated. However, it might fit you better and would be enough protection for brush strikes.

The others I've looked at or tried are all too heavy. More for DH use. I have a couple pairs of these for days like that but almost never use them.

All of these pads will leave a gap. You might consider DH pants (hot I know, but they will cover everything), or tall socks.

I wish Troy Lee would make their Raid knee guard with a shin sleeve of D30 (similar to the D30 extending down the underside of the forearm on their speed sleeves). That would be the knee/shin pad to own them all. But I"m not willing to try cutting up multiple expensive pads to achieve this.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    I am 54 and use IXS Assault knee/shin guards for all of my riding which is mostly trail, ST and some DH. They might not be your cup of tea but they work really well for me.iXS Assault Knee/Shin Guards | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    There’s been a lot of discussion about knee pads. But my problem is that at 70 y/o, my skin is thin and bruises easily. Some of the Singletrack I ride is very narrow with briars and branches leaving me bloody after a ride. I was thinking of wearing a soccer type guard. Anyone else to this?

I have had the same problem and have destroyed my shins, they look terrible.

Try G Forms, they’re inexpensive, comfortable and will salvage your shins!

mtbr member
    Just ordered some G Forms. They look perfect for what I need.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander