Shimano SH-M300 Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Shimano SH-M300 Shoes

When i was shopping for new shoes many friends recommended shimano shoes and raved how they would last forever so i took their advice and picked up their top of the line SH-M300 shoes. They are 3 1/2 months old and they are shot. They are delaming at the tip of the toe, tread completely worn out, they look awful.

I brought them into the shop and they chuckled when i mentioned warranty because they were convinced i had ridden them for 3-4 years but when i told them they were 3 months old they were shocked. They said it looked like i got some great use out of them but that does not change the fact that they are less than 4 months old. I called shimano and the rep told me he has worn out mtb shoes in the same amount of time and that's just how it is.

In shimano's defense i trained and raced a ton this year so i definitely wore them a bunch but to drop $300 shoes and they only last 3 months seems pretty lame!!

Am i being unreasonable thinking that mountain bike shoes should last more than 3 months and if they don't they should be warrantied?

I am guessing most of you will take shimano's side since no one wants to agree with anyone on this site for the most part.

Regardless, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes, I think they should last more than 3 months. I have a pair of Specialized MTB shoes that I've used for 20 years.

mtbr member
    post some pics so we can see the shape they are in

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have been riding on $25 Nashbar shoes for 4 years and they are still in decent shape, they probably have 1,000 miles of off road and 2,000 miles of road use. Sidi has an excellent reputation for longevity, sounds like my next pair won't be Shimano.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My last pair of shoes were sidi's and i don't think i would use the word longevity to describe them

Quote Originally Posted by ssalmons
    I have been riding on $25 Nashbar shoes for 4 years and they are still in decent shape, they probably have 1,000 miles of off road and 2,000 miles of road use. Sidi has an excellent reputation for longevity, sounds like my next pair won't be Shimano.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    shimano will warranty shoes for 1 year from date of purchase

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I brought them into the bike shop i bought them at and they told me that it was wear and tear even though i had them for 3 months. I talked to shimano and they told me that sometimes shoes will only last 3 months if you ride the heck out of them. He said i could send them in but probably won't be warrantied.
    Last time i buy shimano shoes.

Which sucks because now my only option is buying from rei and keep returning the shoes i wear out prematurely. Which stinks even more is that i will have to fork out the cash for sidi but at least they will be a bottomless pair of shoes. Wear out within 6 months return repeat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Let's see a pic. What did you wear last year, and how did they do? Sounds like you are a serious rider, so what worked for you in the past? If normal use did result in conditions described, then it sounds pretty bad. On a side note I have 5 year old sidi and they are holding still good even after changing the cleat plates (cut thru the sole!).

mtbr member
    My M300s have been brilliant through all of the riding, walking and trail maintenance they've done over the past 2 years. I've had the little plastic decorative strips come off the sides and the carbon sole is extremely scratched up but there are not holes or tears. The only problem I've had is with the toe studs. The flat screws that go in there can't be removed because the insert rotates when they are turned. They've done that since new.

My Sidi Dragons on the other hand have uppers that wear very fast and aren't as comfortable as the Shimano shoes for my feet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Which sucks because now my only option is buying from rei and keep returning the shoes i wear out prematurely. Which stinks even more is that i will have to fork out the cash for sidi but at least they will be a bottomless pair of shoes. Wear out within 6 months return repeat.
    If you are wearing out all of your gear this quickly you are indeed a lucky person as you get to use your gear a lot. Wearing it out and then returning it seems like you are taking advantage of the retailer's policy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Me riding a bunch has nothing to do with luck, it's a choice but that is another story.
    Shimano offers a 1 year warranty on all shoes. Mine lasted 3 months and that is why i am returning them.
    It's not the retailer's policy but shimano's. If the retailer warranties them it's shimano that eats it, not the retailer.

Regardless how much i use them 3 months is unacceptable IMO.
    Thanks for your input though

Members who have read this thread: 0