Shimano M225 vs M230 vs Spec Pro XC shoes- Mtbr.com
    a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Shimano M225 vs M230 vs Spec Pro XC shoes

I must have clown feet or something, because I just can't seem to find the shoe that fits .

I'm currently wearing a fairly worn out pair of Shimano M225's which have actually been reasonably good fitting and durable shoes. While I like the shoes well enough and could buy an exact replacement, I think they are a bit heavy... I have weak skinny legs and yes they feel noticeably heavier compared to some other shoes I'm looking at. I'm also wondering if I can find a shoe that fits even better anyway.

So for the past couple of weeks I've been trying on shoes in the shops around here (not a "great" selection of shoes though) and have tried some Sidis, the new Bontrager RL's, and Specialized Pro's. The Bonties are very nice but are now ruled out... besides not fitting quite right *for me*, the buckle looks a little flimsy and the sole could be better for slick hike-a-bikes on real mtb terrain.

The Specialized might be a good compromise. They do seem to fit well, have a durable looking buckle, and are lightweight, but I'm not convinced yet that they fit better than the Shimanos on *my* feet. However, they are noticeably lighter than the Shimanos.

All that said, here's the real point of my post...

What in the world is the difference between the old Shimano M225 that I'm wearing and the new M230 (besides the thermal molding)??

The new M230 is a lot more expensive (like $75?), but what for ? Is it a lighter shoe? Stiffer? What?? The thermal molding feature is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth an extra $75 or whatever. Also, I can't figure out Shimanos shoe numbering system, they have the M230C and the M230L... what's the difference beside the color ??
    I read that on the internet.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    I ended up getting the same old Shimano M225's I had before... a local high-end shop had a few left-over pairs and one happened to be my size. With the discount price, I only paid $120 plus tax... that's about $100 less than many similar shoes.
    I read that on the internet.

Tool
    I've been riding M225's for years now. I don't have experience with other brands of similar shoes (went from a relatively low-end Nike to these), but these shoes do what I need them to do. More than anything, these are comfortable on my feet, but they also keep me well connected to the bike.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Members who have read this thread: 0