Shimano M225 Shoes and Time ATAC Cleat- Mtbr.com
    Wes
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Shimano M225 Shoes and Time ATAC Cleat

Is anyone out there using the Shimano M225 shoes and Time ATAC pedals? I just picked up a pair of these shoes and when I tried to put my ATAC cleats on the bolts were too short to thread into the nut plate. I dug into my tool box and found longer cleat bolts but now I'm nervous about tightening them down. These shoes have a carbon plate on the sole and the ATAC pedals have four tall ridges on the bottom that are suppose to dig into the bottom of the shoe. The carbon is really hard, much harder than the plastic bottom on my old Sidi's, and I'm afraid I'm going to crack the carbon if I tighten down the bolts. I've never used SPD pedals so I don't know whether they have big ridges on the bottom like the Time cleats. I called Shimano and they said they couldn't help me because the shoes were designed for SPD cleats. I have a call into Time but they haven't called me back yet. Help! I need these shoes for a big ride this Sunday. Oh, the 29er connection is that my wife and I both ride 29ers! Thanks.

mtbr member

Shimano M221

I've got the M221s (the previous version of the M225s) with the carbon sole and haven't had any problems with them. Been through 2.5 seasons and about 4 pairs of cleats. Crank them down and ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0