Shimano M 540,shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Shimano M 540,shoes

Never rode with clipless pedals but recently got a pair of the M540s. I also want to get the Sh 56 clips for the shoes.
    Problem is, I dont know what shoe I want. Ive researched and favor the Shimano MT 42 NV.
    But, Im curious, will only the Shimano shoes work with Shimano pedals. If not, what other brands would you recommend? Would like to keep the price around 100 bucks.
    Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    All SPD compatible shoes will work.

mtbr rememberer
    Try on every SPD shoe you can find and get the best fit.

I have the same pedals and still use the SH-51 cleat. I really like the lateral release. I found a pair of Pearl Izumi Select MTB shoes that fit and around that price range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just got the M540s as well and use the SH-51 cleat. No problems releasing with factory tension. I use Pearl Izumi X-Alp Drift shoes (they were 25% off $100 at REI during their anniversary sale; I think it's over now).

I've been commuting to work with them before I hit the trails so I can get used to clipless. Today was my 4th ride with them and I had my first near-fall -- had to make a sudden stop when a meandering tourist veered onto the path (I work in DC). My release was slightly delayed but I did get it out in time and managed to avoid a full fall with only a couple fingertips on the ground.

Members who have read this thread: 0