Semi OT .....Helmets- Mtbr.com
    what a joke

Semi OT .....Helmets

I am in the market for a new helmet. I had a Giro Animas but cracked it and need something new. Top of the list are the Specialized Decibel or Giro Pneumo.

Any suggestions???
    blah blah blah

Student of the Bike
    Yunno its kinds like saddles (& shoes)...whatever fits your head size/shape. WIth that being said I have a Pnuemo and an Atmos and their both great helmets. I recently tried on a Bell Sweep and it fit better than any other helmet I've tried on in years.

A wise friend of mine once said (regarding helmets).....you pay for air.

what a joke
    Very true, I know the Giro's fit well but was wondering if the Decibel has better air flow.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I like the Giro Xen. Fits great, and plenty of vents. Also, what about the Specialized Instinct?
    Last edited by Oliver; 02-19-2006 at 11:08 PM.

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    I like the Giro Xen. Fits great, and plenty of vents. Also, what about the Specialized Instinct?
    If I was only going to have one helmet I would get either of those. But I am going to get a Spec Deviant FF helmet for more protection and wanted something lighter and well vented for the purely XC rides.
    blah blah blah

giddy up!
    I'm a big fan of the Pneumo. I'm also fond of the high end Limar...whatever it's called.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! MET 5th Element.

MET for me. Even though I hate helmets, the MET 5th Element has been the best I have worn.

However, helmets are very ... well, you have to try them yourself to see if they suit you.

R.

TR
    Angry bunny
    If you want lightweight with heaps of ventialtion purely for XC then I can only recommend one helmet and that is the Giro E2.
    That said I am on the hunt for a Xen for more trailriding duties.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    I am in the market for a new helmet. I had a Giro Animas but cracked it and need something new. Top of the list are the Specialized Decibel or Giro Pneumo.

Any suggestions???
    Suggestions?

Sure...

I suggest you use the crash replacement policy for your Giro. Contact the company directly and you will be able to send it in and get a replacement helmet for a less $$$ than buying a new one because they give you credit for your damaged helmet.

If you go to the Giro.com website (like I just did while writing this post) and look under general info and the FAQ's, they list their crash replacement policy for bike helmets.

I have used the crash replacement policy for my Bell X-Ray 2x's due to crashes while on the bike. In both cases, my head hit the ground and the helmet cracked (a nice concussion on the 2nd occasion). The cost under the crash replacement policy is a better "deal" than buying new and is part of the helmet company's consumer safety concerns. They usually want the original receipt, the damaged helmet and a brief letter describing the crash. At least with Bell, they responded rather quickly and I had a replacement helmet on both occasions within 2 weeks of me shipping the damaged helmet to them.

BB

mtbr member

MET Parachute

MET helmets aren't sold in the US because of lots of litigation here and it would cost them too much in product liability to sell here.... but I just ordered a MET Parachute from Singapore, and no I won't sue them if I turn into a vegetable. They exceed all worldwide safety standards. It seems very versatile with lots of protection. Very lightweight and the face guard comes on and off easily, tons of vents.

Since you're in OZ, it shouldn't be a problem to get one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    For some reason, Bell are the only ones that ever seem to fit my head. I have an X-ray now and I have no complaints. A helmet is a helmet is a helmet. As long as it's comfortable, pop it on and forget about it.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    MET helmets aren't sold in the US because of lots of litigation here and it would cost them too much in product liability to sell here.... but I just ordered a MET Parachute from Singapore, and no I won't sue them if I turn into a vegetable. They exceed all worldwide safety standards. It seems very versatile with lots of protection. Very lightweight and the face guard comes on and off easily, tons of vents.

dude....thanks a lot for asking me if i wanted one! email me the details on how to get one.

mtbr member

Do they have one with airbags?

mechmann_mtb
    burner...

the MET looks cool. how much did you pay?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    dude....thanks a lot for asking me if i wanted one! email me the details on how to get one.
    email sent...

if you can't get one here maybe one of the international mtbr members will help out.the shiz

Aug 2004

Giro Xen

Fits me like a beenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi
    Do they have one with airbags?
    no, but it does have redi-suck and accu-jack

mechmann - about $150 shipped from singapore to socal

My gloves stink

Suggestions for bullet head?

My head is shaped like the monster's in the movie Alien- long, narrow, and lots of sharp teeth dripping with caustic saliva. Consequently, I can't find a helmet that fits comfortably. Giro fits okay, but its not perfect. Any suggestions for my bullet head?
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    no, but it does have redi-suck and accu-jack
    I am there with my fully rigid.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    My head is shaped like the monster's in the movie Alien- long, narrow, and lots of sharp teeth dripping with caustic saliva. Consequently, I can't find a helmet that fits comfortably. Giro fits okay, but its not perfect. Any suggestions for my bullet head?
    Same here. So much so that I've had to use the old spoon trick on the front portion of helmets in order to get them to fit my elongated skull.

Go try on the Bell Sweep, it was the best fitting helmet to grace my dome yet.

Jan 2006
    Ditto on the Bell Sweep. I just purchased one to replace my old Giro and it is very comfortable. I can feel the wind in my hair now!

TR
    Angry bunny

Illegal in Australia.
    Does not meet the Design Standard which I believe is the toughest in the world.

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

Xen

Quote Originally Posted by TR
    If you want lightweight with heaps of ventialtion purely for XC then I can only recommend one helmet and that is the Giro E2.
    That said I am on the hunt for a Xen for more trailriding duties.
    Nashbar and Performance have the Xen for about $80 fairly frequently in colors they want to move.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Rainman uses one over there... see above.

they list an Australian distributor on their website.

and this their blurb as to why they don't come to US, but Australia is specifically listed.

"As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident."

Well all I know is that I was talking to Standards Australia yesterday and they confirmed that while most Met helmets are available in Australia (including the 5th Element that Rainman has), the Parachute does not meet the Standard and so far Met has elected not to redesign/retool to allow it to.
    So you are correct that Met is available but the Parachute is not.
    Last edited by TR; 02-20-2006 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member

hmmmmm

Illegal in Australia.
    Does not meet the Design Standard which I believe is the toughest in the world.
    Rainman uses one over there... see above.

they list an Australian distributor on their website.

and this their blurb as to why they don't come to US, but Australia is specifically listed.

"As a supplier of helmets throughout the world, MET have to ensure that their products pass the different safety standards that apply in the countries in which they are sold. MET helmets do not meet just one of these standards but all of them, whether it is Europe, Japan, or Australia, for instance. Nevertheless, we have noted that some court decisions about product liability in some countries, especially USA and Canada penalize manufacturers for damages that may be suffered by a consumer involved in an accident."

mtbr member
    Well all I know is that I was talking to Standards Australia yesterday and they confirmed that while most Met helmets are available in Australia (including the 5th Element that Rainman has), the Parachute does not meet the Standard and so far Met has elected not to redesign/retool to allow it to.
    So you are correct that Met is available but the Parachute is not.

well that SUCKS for me.

TR
    Angry bunny
    well that SUCKS for me.

I would suggest that even though Met does not offer helmets in the US, even if it did this helmet may not meet your design standards anyway.

Jan 2006
    Ditto on the Bell Sweep. I just purchased one to replace my old Giro and it is very comfortable. I can feel the wind in my hair now!

what a joke
    Bruce, thanks for the FYI on crash replacemnet. I don't have the reciept, I did buy it new from Freewheel in MN over 2 years ago. I will send them an email and see what they say.
    blah blah blah

what a joke
    I like the idea of the MET parachute but I like the Casco Viper MX as it is the same concept but looks a little stronger. But I dont want to buy with out trying on.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10718
    blah blah blah

what a joke
    i just tried on a Decibel at the LBS..... wow that thing is light and fits really well. I will wait to see what Giro say about crash replacement but if it does not work out I will get the Decibel.
    blah blah blah

luckiest of the unlucky
    Heard lots of great things about the Giro Xen. Only bad thing I've read is that a lot of users get a little sweatier than with other helmets. Better coverage than most, and apparently very comfortable. However, I opted for the Giro E2. Very comfortable and light. Only complaint is that the straps tend to loosen themselves after a couple of rides. Otherwise great helmet. I'm sure that this summer will be the one during which I will get a bumble bee sucked into the vents of this helmet. It breathes almost too well

My gloves stink

Huh? The old spoon trick?

Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Same here. So much so that I've had to use the old spoon trick on the front portion of helmets in order to get them to fit my elongated skull.

Go try on the Bell Sweep, it was the best fitting helmet to grace my dome yet.
    Huh? The old spoon trick? You mean, using a spoon like a shoe horn? Man, you DO have a bullet head! Thanks for the tip, though!
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

Members who have read this thread: 0