secialized shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

secialized shoes

looking to order some shoes asap and unfortunately do not have a way of trying them on first.... so, does anyone have experience in how the specialized shoes run in comparison to shimano shoes? or mavic?

Thanks!
    viking

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My specialized road shoes seem to be a little lower volume and tighter in the heel cup that the comparable size Shimano road shoes. Will be buying a pair of specialized MTB shoes next weeks for this same fit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    do you still wear the same size? it is just a "snugger" fit?

mtbr member
    Specialized shoes run a bit smaller than comparably sized shimano shoes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would concur that the specialized seem to run a bit smaller but it is not by much. My Shimano mtb shoes are 43 and are roomy in the toes. My specialized road shoes are 42 and snug for wearing thinner socks. I recall the Shimano size 42 having wider heel box but not much more room in the toe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    so... i should opt down a 1/2 size? I have heard that the mtn shoes run a little closer in size, though...
    looking into the bg pro mtn shoe for anyone with experience in how it fits

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This is a mistake.

Shoes are one thing that you need to try on, and Ideallly ride for a couple hours but there are very few places that will allow you to do that. I have been wearing the same size Specialized shoe for a long time, but I bought a pair of sidi's once that were very expensive and did not work for my feet. I ended up giving them to a buddy who gave them to another buddy becuase he did not like them either. My advice is make trip to a specialzed dealer and try some on and then mail order if you want, or go to an REI or other big box store that has a good exchange policy. REI lets you return slightly used things for store credit so if you get some shoes that don't work for you once you get on the trail you can return them and get a different size, model etc. I really don't like to buy from big boxes but shoes are one place that having that return policy makes it worth it even if they are a little more cash. You need to try them out first. Spec makes some of the best shoes in the business, love mine.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

rider
    I'm hooked on Specialized shoes. I road then on both road and MTB and I also have Defrosters in both. I've owned Shimano shoes, tried on a few pairs and returned a few pairs. I wear comfy 45 in Specialized and can barely squeeze my toes in a 46 Shimano. I'd probably have to go 47 in Shimano. I agree with the other posts - Shimano toes narrow, heal wide. Specialized has more room in the toe which helps me with a wider foot. No doubt you need to try them on local or find a place with a liberal return policy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    just to clear this up...

I am no dumbass, I realize that some opinions on a message board are not going to send me straight to what I need...
    With that said, I work for a specialized shop... I am on vacation and not near a specialized dealer. The shoes I am seeking are about out, and may be before I get back. I was going to order them in before they run out.
    I have worn mavic and shimano... I wear 43.5 in both and they both seem to be true to standard shoes ( I wear a 10.5 or 11)... I did not know, in comparison, how specialized shoes run.
    I have asked many people via phone call through my shop, but figured i could get better stats/ responses through a public forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My last pair were shimanos size 44, just bought a pair of specialized bg comp mtb shoes and went with 43

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyviking
    ...but figured i could get better stats/ responses through a public forum.
    Now that's funny!!!

IMO the only way to buy shoes is to put 'em on your feet. I wear between 9.5 & 10 depending on the shoe, wind direction/speed and the average barometric pressure over the last 3 months. In a perfect world there'd be an international standard size "x" footbed and shoes would be built around each respective size. This ain't no perfect world!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    well, selector, if you know anything about stat. a larger pool means a more accurate measure. Going by one or two people's personal experience would not make sense...
    again, I was looking for some help. I have heard too many varrying responses to ever even attempt to pick a size based off of this.
    I have heard they run the same as long as you go by euro size, spec. runs tighter, I have heard others say they go down a size or two in the spec., or mtn shoes run the same but the road aredifferent.

I know my euro size, which is consistant for shimano and mavic (so its not like i was shooting in the dark), but without a consistant measure there is no possible way I could order any before trying the EXACT shoe on apparently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Funny

I have never heard of someone trying to attain a large sample size, in order to make inferences about population means that will have a statistically significant P value in order to buy some shoes before. Make sure to check your StD as you might have some outliers that have huge feet and wear small shoes because they think hammer toe is sexy. You should apply a statistical adjustment to eliminate the sexy hammer toe individuals from your population. Once you have done that you will be able to obtain your shoe size + or - a few sizes then you will just need to purchase 6 pairs of shoes to make sure you get the right one.

Or you could just try putting the shoes on your feet. Seriously Relax. People on this forum are just trying to help, nobody said you were a jackass just that in thier personal experience this is ther opinion. You can disregard whatever you don't like but don't get upset at people who give you an opinion aside from what you want to hear.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    well... I was attempting to get an accurate read based on people who have worn shimano or mavic vs spec.. It was pretty ridiculous to tell me "try the shoes on". That is not helpful.

I do not go into other people's threads and try and make them look like jackasses... if I have something useful to share, I share it (in a kind/ creative matter at that).

If you have no opinion on how a spec. mtn shoe fits compared to a shimano mtn shoe, or mavic mtn shoe do not bother posting.

Mods, delete this dead thread.... this is getting no where and helping no one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have owned Shimano and Specialized MTB shoes, and a 48 in both fit about the same for me. I really like the BG feature.

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyviking
    It was pretty ridiculous to tell me "try the shoes on". That is not helpful.

Mods, delete this dead thread.... this is getting no where and helping no one.
    My reason for saying try 'em on? I've purchased shoes based on sizing opinions and w/o having had them on my feet. I've subsequently spent more money returning them thru the mail cuz they didn't fit!

I'm trying to share experience and not be a jackass, but it's your money.

I've learned for myself that I'd rather try and buy local cuz the $ works out even if I make a sizing goof on-line.

mtbr member
    I have 2008 Carbon Comps that are size 45, yet I got a smokin' deal on 2009 S-Works 45.5 because they didn't fit a person that ordered them, but they fit me perfectly. I'm getting the Stumpy II in 45, and would likely continue getting their shoes in 45, but they do have some sizing errors as shown with my S-Works.
    1997 Specialized Stumpy Pro
    1998 Specialized Allez Epic
    2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Members who have read this thread: 0