School Me on Goggles...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

School Me on Goggles...

Ok...got a Bell Super R today and thinking of picking up some goggles as they probably will fit better than my sunglasses.

What should I look for in a good set of goggles?

Not looking to go super cheap but I am budget-conscious.

Are there styles with excellent ventilation?

Are there styles with replaceable lenses?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I am mostly a DH rider and swear by the Ryder's Shore goggles. Excellent ventilation, you actually have to try to get them to really fog up. I've only used them with clear lenses, there are other options and I think you can swap. They are pretty reasonable price I think like $60.

beater

School Me on Goggles...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I am mostly a DH rider and swear by the Ryder's Shore goggles. Excellent ventilation, you actually have to try to get them to really fog up. I've only used them with clear lenses, there are other options and I think you can swap. They are pretty reasonable price I think like $60.
    This. They're my next goggles. Otherwise Smith moto goggles can be found cheap. Don't get ski goggles.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Teach me how to duggie fool!

mtbr member
    School Me on Goggles...-dougie-doug.jpg

mtbr member
    But on a serious note. 100% makes great goggles for both Moto and MTB. The nose piece is removable and the rip strip cover works great on a lot of their models.

9 lives
    I've been using Oakley Crowbars x 3 years. They fit well with my dh helmet (I've even used them for DH skiing) and don't fog, however the foam is starting to peel away and the lenses scratch easily (I've replaced them twice) So i've been looking at new options. Mx goggles seem like a good choice. Some brands I've seen at the bike park are Scott and Smith. I need to do a little research too before I make my purchase
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Go for a pair of moto goggles. They're tougher than snowboard goggles and the foam is made to keep out dust, not powder.

Pretty much all but the cheapest models have replaceable lenses. If you're looking for good ventilation, avoid the sand specific models as they have thicker, denser foam. If you look around a little bit, you can find a good pair for $30 or even less.

No one brand is really that much better in my experience. Just pick what fits best. With that said, you can't go wrong a pair of Oakley O-frames. You can also get over the glasses models if you ride with a prescription.

mtbr member
    Oakley Airbrake MX.

It has a rigid plutonite lens which provides much better optics and impact protection than your standard soft lens. also super anti fog.

It only takes a few seconds to change over a lens.

Smith Optics have similar technology I believe

mtbr member
    Stick to online retailers for goggles. I have found that LBS charge so much more for them most of the time. I have tried a bunch of different level Smith V's. They are cheap, work well, but do not last long at all and have not glare/anti-fog or scratch resistant layering. I just got some semi-expensive 100% goggles and man are they awesome. I strongly recommend 100%.

I can 100% say that I 100% recommend 100% goggles 100%ly to the 100th%.

mtbr member
    While I have no experience wearing them on a bicycle I absolutely loved my Progrip 3400s with light sensitive lenses when riding MX. My eyes were always happy in the sun or in the woods and no matter how overheated I got they never fogged.

mtbr member
    Love my airbrakes but they aren't cheap. However the lens system they employ that allows you to easily service them is awesome when compared to the normal method. They breath well and I haven't had any fog up issues. Also some goggles don't play nice with the bell super from what I've heard, so if possible try them with the helmet to make sure they work together.

9 lives
    I just purchased a pair of Scott Recoil Moto goggles for dh. Clear lens. Inexpensive compared with Oakley.

My husband got a pair of Scott Split OTG. They fit perfectly over his glasses. He also brought an extra tinted lens
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I highly recommend beer goggles. They always fog, but the work with or without glasses. It's better to use a glass, however.