Samsung helmet cam- Mtbr.com
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Samsung helmet cam

I figure some of you must have experience using the Samsung sports camcorder by now. So, what do you think? I have a nice camcorder, but I always get nervous bringing it on rides. Is the Samsung worth picking up?

Jun 2005
    they got a nice solid state one from oregon scientific.. its not gonna give you the full fps and res a full camera will give, but its solid state and appears to be the size of a couple of C batteries end to end. No main camera to put in a bag.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    they got a nice solid state one from oregon scientific.. its not gonna give you the full fps and res a full camera will give, but its solid state and appears to be the size of a couple of C batteries end to end. No main camera to put in a bag.
    The Oregon Scientific is low res, slow fps, bouncey and needs bright lighting.
    I used it to record these (helmet mounted, XC trails).

Please right-click and copy file:

35 sec, 4.56MB, Quicktime format http://mtbtires.com/movies/acm06/pubic_zone2.mov

5:38 run time, 7.1MB, Quicktime. http://mtbtires.com/movies/acm06/sunset.mov
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM
    whoa! is this the one you mean? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=06&loc=01

I don't know what solid state means, but I like the concept. amazing. I'm sure the quality is terrible but for $100 this seems like a much better option as a second camera over the $450 samsung. all I want to shoot is some DH runs, snowboarding, jumps, etc. thanks for the tip.
    That is the one. You also need to buy a memory card if you want to record for more than 2 minutes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    whoa! is this the one you mean? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=06&loc=01

I don't know what solid state means, but I like the concept. amazing. I'm sure the quality is terrible but for $100 this seems like a much better option as a second camera over the $450 samsung. all I want to shoot is some DH runs, snowboarding, jumps, etc. thanks for the tip.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules
    I caved in and grabbed one... and am Extremely happy I did. Let it be known, NO it's not a 5 megapixel, state of the art, Hollywood screen quality picture - but H*LL, it's only ab $600! The funny thing is, is that the quality is relatively good for what it is and the last thing you're doing when watching the video of everyone hammering down a section, is thinking "I should have bought that $3,000 setup". Friends of mine usually give me garbage about my purchase, but after the ride, they're always dying to see the footage ASAP (and want it by e-mail/link for their own records).

I currently have the Samsung SC-X105L (the U.S. version with 512MB internal memory - apparently the overseas version SC-X110L has 1GB internal memory. Anyway, as stock on the "normal" recoding setting (there are 3 settings Normal, High, "Highest"), you can get about 35-45 minutes of recording w/about 10-15 minutes of playback (depending on your usage)... so about 1hr of battery life - again, not too bad for a camera set up that weighs less than 2 multi tools and is about the size of 2 Cliff bars. I went ahead and ordered another "extended life" battery from Ebay for about $25 that last 2-3x's as long as the stock battery (sticks out a lil' more but not too far that it's cumbersome) and went ahead an purchased a 2GB memory stick for added recording time... as of yet, in the second to highest recording setting, I've not used up the memory or worn out the battery after recording for about 1 1/2 hours (about a 2hr ride w/some start & stop sections).

While I'm at it, the lipstick camera takes 2 AAA batteries and doesn't eat them up as I thought - but I went out and bought some rechargeable ones just for the H*LL of it. Setting up the lipstick camera (for the proper angle) is relatively simple and should be perfected w/i the first 20-30 minutes of any ride... I used zip ties to get the proper angle and then used Velcro to "permanently" install it (one on the underside of the supplied "camera mount" and the other on the helmet), this way, I can swap between the XC helmet for normal days and the Full Face for "Oh my God!" days. The external off/on button is easy to use - although the first couple of times you run the wire may take some practice... after that, you're Golden.

The only issue I have with the whole camera/setup, is the Codec required to watch the videos. You (being the owner) won't have a problem b/c ALL the software is on the supplied CD, but your friends will either need the link or the CD to install - but again, once installed they'll be fine from now on.

All in all, I really believe my purchase was the right move... I'd buy it again. Just remember what you're buying and the amount you're spending (for the $ the picture is nice, the setup is easy, and the whole system is EASY to transport/carry). As long as your expectations are realistic, you (and your friends) will have a great time w/this camera. Since my purchase in October/November of 2005, I've know 5 others who either have it or recently bought it and they all say the same thing... for what it is, It's Great!

p.s. here's a link of "DownHillFaster" doing a gap, and the Codec required to view it (install the Codec first! - it's the second one, labeled "Unified Decoder of Miniket").
    http://www.samsung.com/support/produ...e=DR&language=

http://media.putfile.com/NRA-Tree-Gap

Hope this helps. Lemme know if you have any other question or issues.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is the one. You also need to buy a memory card if you want to record for more than 2 minutes.
    interesting. that's good to see Shiggy. including a 1g memory card I'm up to $200 (almost halfway to the samsung) and I don't think the quality will be suitable for DH. I appreciate the info.

if anyone's used the samsung please share your opinions also.

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

what about the lens part that attaches to the video camera in your camelback, its wired to your video camera? how much will those run for

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    the samsung is a piece of crap..... its arite, but i wouldnt go running to get one...

..the external camera body is designed cheaply, with thin plastic, easy to crack.
    ..my buddy had to send his in for repairs because the battery cap of the external sheared off where a tiny ribbon wire that is crucial for the operation of the unit, acts as a hinge, when removing to replace batteries...
    ..the external camera takes two AAA batteries and sucks the juice out of them in a matter of a half hour to an hour. the need to constantly change the batteries resulted in this ribbon wire breaking off, and cracking along the seal where the battery cap goes....

..its less than 4 months old and this happened already... luckily its under warranty so its been sent to samsung to be fixed/replaced.... god knows when we'll see it again though... it'll be like, 'yo the samsung camera came back'....'ooooh yeeeah, that thing.. finally'......we'll see how quickly samsung takes care of it.

what they need to do is design and sell an aftermarket external camera, built tough for frequent use, and with interchangable lenses..... how genious would that be..???

otherwise the base unit of the camera is cool... small and light... maybe if we just got a good viosport and hooked it up to the samsung base we'd be cool.... except that would set us back over a thousand bucks total.....

sadly i have the best headcam shots from the ghetto helmet cam rig, which is just a digital vid cam ziptied to my helmet. yup you heard right.. there might even be a picture of it somewhere in this forum..

..bottom line... save your $ and look for something more durable.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

FM
    mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JSUN
    the samsung is a piece of crap..... its arite, but i wouldnt go running to get one... ..bottom line... save your $ and look for something more durable.
    whoa, easy there

I've got the samsung and am really happy with it. It's been to the northshore about 8 times, at least 3 in the rain. Check out the galbraith and whistler vids to see some crashes it's survived. I've had mine for about a year, used it a ton, no problems yet. If you want a durable helmet cam for under $600 total I think it's the only way to go. I've made 2 full length DVD's using mine, the uncompressed videos look killer on my buddies big HDTV. Like anything else, the results will match the time you put into learning how to use your equipment.

pro's

• You can actually start/stop recording while riding technical terrain, using the simple 1-button remote w/LED
    • You can get 2x strength batteries off eBay for like $9. These run for over an hour and are smaller than a patch kit, I carry 2-3.
    • With a 2gb sd card ($90 on ebay) and the built in 512mb, you can record about 90 minutes at the highest quality settings. Thats a lot when you can easily turn it on/off for climbs.
    • cheap rechargable batteries get me 2-3 rides between charges on the helmet cam part.
    • codec thing is a non-issue if you use 3rd party software (I use iMovie)
    • seems crash proof and water resistant as for as I can tell
    • I can use mine with headphones and listen to music while climbing for XC rides. at the summit, delete the music, throw in a fresh battery, and start filming.
    • quality is pretty good with the right conditions, and if you choose the right software compression settings.

cons:

• you have to re-set it to external input every time you turn the camera on.
    • no native 16:9 format
    • suffers in low light (i.e. most shore rides)
    • you'll need a fast computer with lots of memory, and you'll need to learn how to use video editing software. I love the iMovie/quicktime pro combo on my iBook.
    • takes a few rides to get aiming figured out.
    • You have to train your buddies to cooperate while you're filming (no riding till the camera's rolling!)
    • you'll need to spend an extra $150 on batteries and memory to really get a sweet set-up.
    • image quality is not as good as taping a 4lb $500 DV camera to your helmet.
    My fave videos below:
    galbraith
    khyber pass
    cheap thrills
    whistler

Devo

whats this thing? and is it any good?

www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Members who have read this thread: 0