Safety gear/armor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Safety gear/armor

I've been thinking about trying more advanced stuff. I know I should get safety gear. I've been looking for elbow/forearm pads as well as knee/shin pads and a helmet. I can't find that gear locally, but I there are a lot of motorcross places around here that I can buy that stuff from. Is it the same?

Will my regular bicycle helmet work or should I get a full face one?

Would one of the cheap helmets from Bell that you get at WalMart be fine? (Skakeboard or BMX helmet?)

The local motorcross store has helmet on sale: MSR Starlet Helmet - $29.99 reg $99.99. Can I use that?

Hardwarz

mtbr member
    I cant say if one is really safer than another but some of the more expensive stuff seems much lighter and cooler than the cheap stuff and rentals at the parks.... if its hot and heavy I would end up not wearing it (and regretting it)

Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    I've been thinking about trying more advanced stuff. I know I should get safety gear. I've been looking for elbow/forearm pads as well as knee/shin pads and a helmet. I can't find that gear locally, but I there are a lot of motorcross places around here that I can buy that stuff from. Is it the same?

Will my regular bicycle helmet work or should I get a full face one?

Would one of the cheap helmets from Bell that you get at WalMart be fine? (Skakeboard or BMX helmet?)

The local motorcross store has helmet on sale: MSR Starlet Helmet - $29.99 reg $99.99. Can I use that?

Hardwarz

mtbr member
    The majority (if not all) bike helmets sold in north america are built to CPSC standards - the reason some are more expensive is they may have exotic materials / designs to make them lighter/cooler but still meet the same crash standards. Find one that fits your head and get it ASAP.

Next item I would recommend is a set of gloves.

Then some sort of a hydration pack

Then arm/leg armour.

My $.02

Members who have read this thread: 0