saddle sores? i think? Fox head altitude short- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New question here. saddle sores? i think? Fox head altitude short

I've been riding for mtn single track trails in south florida for 10+ years and never had any issues like the one i've run into recently. I ride apporximately 60 miles a week. I recently developed sensitive area where my leg meets my buttock on both sides. Red and stings like hell!! I havent switched to a new saddle, but I have been riding with Fox head altitude shorts. Could it be the chamois on my recently purchased shorts, they seem to fit well and are comfortable? Does anyone have these shorts or a similar problem with these shorts?

thanks

Rent this space for $
    Perhaps an irritant from the material or a seam? I've learned to rotate my use of bib shorts and wash after each ride to reduce the chance of irritation. Even a mild irritation can easily be bad enough to keep you off the bike. Not worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    great name! I checked the shorts and there is a very noticeable seam than none of my other chamois have. good suggestion on the rotating the shorts. It's totally keeping me off the bike and making me scared to ride. Sh*t stings like a b*tch.
    thanks

All fat, all the time.
    Yep agree with above for sure, only 1 ride on chamois then they get washed.
    Funny you mention Fox, I have 1 pair, just don't fit like all my others so they don't get used much.

Rent this space for $
    I've pretty much given up on any of the chamois that are included with shorts. I'm lucky that I live very close to Voler and can go in and grab bib shorts that a seconds from their production for only $35. Having the compression short and suspender system along with their Comp HP pad (their best) I am dialed in that dept. I never ride with anything else and as long as I stick to my laundering/rotation schedule, I have no saddle sore issues and I ride 3-5 days a week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This isn't related to the actual cause of the saddle sores. Some things that helped me heal saddle sores quickly are to get out of my shorts as soon as possible after a ride and to use some sort of antibacterial ointment when riding. I've had a tin of Bag Balm for years.

Rent this space for $
    So THAT'S why they call it "Bag" Balm?!

Ingenious!

Formerly of Kent
    Assos Chamois cream.

And ditch any Fox product that touches your skin between waist and knees.

You'll thank me later.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Rent this space for $
    Interesting thing happened with me and chamois creams. I started using them when I ventured into road riding and used 'Chamois Butter' as well as 'D'z Nuts'. Only then did I begin to experience the beginning of saddle sores. If I don't use it, I'm fine.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yep agree with above for sure, only 1 ride on chamois then they get washed.
    Funny you mention Fox, I have 1 pair, just don't fit like all my others so they don't get used much.
    I'm just going to add that I add good old bleach when washing my bike stuff. Hot water and detergent was not fully getting the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

And ditch any Fox product that touches your skin between waist and knees.
    Yep. Their liners are total garbage. Same with Zoic. I ride with quality road shorts or tights under baggies. Most of my lycra shorts are pearl izumi. The performance elite shorts are also well made and are usually on sale for $40-50.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Interesting thing happened with me and chamois creams. I started using them when I ventured into road riding and used 'Chamois Butter' as well as 'D'z Nuts'. Only then did I begin to experience the beginning of saddle sores. If I don't use it, I'm fine.
    I've also found this to be true. The lube increases the sliding of the material against the skin. I only use it AFTER my ride when I'm clean. I was also tired of trying to wash the stuff out of my shorts after just a few uses.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Lube. Makes a huge difference.

I wash my shorts every 2-3 rides (quality stuff can go in the washer on gentle). Never an issue with it washing out. But I prefer not to have nasty smelling gear all the time.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

@92gli

funny you mention road shorts. I have always ridden with pearl izumi road shorts. never an issue. just last night i cut out the fox liners and tossed them out. my plan is to use the fox baggies with pearl izumi bibs!

thanks

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I used to use the ZOIC Essential liners regularly. I had many pairs and it seemed to serve me well except for some occasional chaffing. I developed an irritation after few long hauls and kept re-irritating the area. After much inspection I noticed the irritation was in the seam area of the pad. The ZOIC premium and other higher end liners don't have this seam. I had a few ZOIC premium's and started using them exclusively. I also ordered some of their Ultra liners. Once Ive healed I've never had the problem since and no chaffing issues. That seam is EVIL. Anything with a seam in that region is just bad design.

saddle sores? i think? Fox head altitude short-zoic-basic-liner-ouchee.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Like my Fox shorts, hate the liner. My Patagucci shorts and liner are the bees knees. Also like my MEC bib shorts as liners, had a Pearl iz bib i wasnt so jazzed about. A couple Sugoi liners i like but theyre getting worn out.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    I tried Fox's and had issues with the liners.

I'd suggest trying a better liner (Dirtbaggies, Pearl Izumi, Assos - in a bib style).

With the heat & humidity here I'd suggest the best quality liner short you can buy.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I used to use the ZOIC Essential liners regularly. I had many pairs and it seemed to serve me well except for some occasional chaffing. I developed an irritation after few long hauls and kept re-irritating the area. After much inspection I noticed the irritation was in the seam area of the pad. The ZOIC premium and other higher end liners don't have this seam. I had a few ZOIC premium's and started using them exclusively. I also ordered some of their Ultra liners. Once Ive healed I've never had the problem since and no chaffing issues. That seam is EVIL. Anything with a seam in that region is just bad design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zoic basic liner ouchee.jpg 
Views:	2059 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	1124202
    Exactly. Those are the ones I've had very bad times with. When I bought my second and third set of ether shorts I sold the new liners on ebay. People paid $15-20 for them.

I didn't know zoic made better liners than the essentials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I wash my shorts every 2-3 rides
    That's harsh. Every ride for me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    If their already smelly and such it's 1 ride, just depends.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.