S-Works MTB Shoes

Printable View

  • 04-30-2018
    mtnbkrmike
    2 Attachment(s)
    S-Works MTB Shoes
    Anyone have them? Anyone like/dislike them?

    I picked up a pair yesterday. After getting over the sticker shock (beers helped) I now need to decide - keep or return?

    I have worn Specialized Comp shoes for the past number of years, and got about 4 solid seasons of use (including commuting) out of them. They are getting a little past their best before date. I also picked up a new pair of Comps yesterday, since they are very inexpensive.

    My plan is to use the Comps for commuting and rides where I may have to get off my bike for sections. I will reserve the S-Works for rides where I will not be getting off my bike much or at all (the sole looks a little vulnerable to abuse).

    I am also going to ride flats for some rides this year as well (picked up a cheap set of Chester pedals for that, and have plenty of FiveTen shoes already). Apart from winter commuting, I have not ridden flats for at least 10 years, so there will be a bit of a learning curve with them.

    Anyway - any comments on the S-Works would be appreciated. Personally, they look like something I would wear with a suit. I sure hope they are not as delicate as they appear.

    Attachment 1195826Attachment 1195827
  • 04-30-2018
    127.0.0.1
    that's all I use for road or MTB are S-works with BOA laces
    [except winter which are my lake boots with boa]

    [I have no shoes with straps any longer,
    except in basement for my stationary trainer]

    I love them, they last forever. easy to crank sooper tight for mad road sprints, and relax back for pounding out miles. they grip wet rock good enough w/o cleats installed

    my only issue was on a set of 2014
    sworks the BOA reels would not keep tension. I went to the BOA site directly
    and made a comment on the make/model/version/type of boa system
    (low power specialized) and they sent me free replacement reels with updated
    'pawls' and now the same damn shoes are better than new again.
  • 04-30-2018
    coke
    I had to return mine due to the slope of the shoe. It just didn't work for my feet. Build quality also didn't seem to match the price.

    Replaced them with Shimano s-phyre xc9. Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. Heavier than s-works but it's worth it. I just don't even think about my feet anymore, even on 6+ hour rides.
  • 04-30-2018
    EricTheDood
    I have the S-works road shoe.

    Going from Comp to S-works, you'll notice a difference in stiffness. This could be good or bad, depending on what your feet are like. If you're prone to foot pain, you may not like them.

    I rode Specialized for over a decade and thought I had it dialed. Ended up having much better success with Sidi shoes in the last few years.
  • 04-30-2018
    irishpitbull
    I have the S-works MTB shoes pictured at the bottom of your post. They are OK. The outer toe rubber bumper thing is completely worn out with less than 6 months of use. I was pretty disappointed for the price.


    I prefer my Drako's to the Sworks. I also own the Sidi Tigers but have nothing but problem with the straps wearing out on the upper plastic part and shredding.
  • 05-05-2018
    mtnbkrmike
    Thanks for the responses. My LBS applied my Team Discount of 25% which softened the blow. As much as I want to return the S-Works, they are just too comfy, light and otherwise sexy. Life is short. I am going to keep both pair. Fk it.
  • 05-13-2018
    Sidewalk
    I was just clicking into this form to see about shoes...

    I'm going to buy a nice pair of shoes for XC racing. I've been using Comps and they are fine. My LBS is a Spec dealer, but I can get other brands obviously. Are the S Works worth a shot, or something else better? They will likely be XC racing only.
  • 05-13-2018
    mtnbkrmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I was just clicking into this form to see about shoes...

    I'm going to buy a nice pair of shoes for XC racing. I've been using Comps and they are fine. My LBS is a Spec dealer, but I can get other brands obviously. Are the S Works worth a shot, or something else better? They will likely be XC racing only.

    I ended up returning the Comps, and keeping the S-Works. The S-Works are a fair bit lighter and stiffer. My shoes usually last a while so the difference in cost is not too bad when spread over time (the 25% team discount helped immensely too). We’ll see with these though. They are the most fragile looking biking shoe I have had in my life. No telling how long (or little) they will last.

    But yeah. The only downside is pricing. If you can get team pricing or some other discount, I’d recommend them, especially for XC racing. If you can’t, I would maybe stick with the Comps. In my neck of the woods, there is a $240 price difference when comparing msrps. I was going to say that it’s tough to justify unless you are using them for racing :-)

    In short, the Comps served me well over the years and would have been more than fine this time around too. I decided to splurge. Time will tell whether I should have stuck with the tried and tested (and much less expensive)...
  • 05-13-2018
    Sidewalk
    I have a discount + gifted money on my account + take XC racing VERY seriously. So, sounds like I'll try the S Works. The comps will be used for trail riding and such.

    Thanks.
  • 05-13-2018
    mtnbkrmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I have a discount + gifted money on my account + take XC racing VERY seriously. So, sounds like I'll try the S Works. The comps will be used for trail riding and such.

    Thanks.

    Yes. I know you take XC racing very seriously. Which is why perhaps I shouldn’t have commented in response to your post.

    I do not race, except in the mornings on the MUP to try to get to work on time. But I have been biking very seriously in sweet ass technical terrain for 25 years+. And I have owned a lot of shoes over that period. For me, the S-Works are in a category of their own. I have seen a lot of YT videos confirming the awesomeness of this shoe for XC racing, but I cannot personally vouch for it for this purpose.

    They are an awful lot of money. I bought them because I am passionate about biking as well. But whether they are twice the shoe of the Comp? Hmmm... I suspect nowhere near. But they are pretty kick ass nonetheless.

    Good luck in your shoe purchasing and in this season’s racing. Any post-purchase follow up comments would be appreciated.

    Mike
  • 05-13-2018
    Sidewalk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Yes. I know you take XC racing very seriously. Which is why perhaps I shouldn’t have commented in response to your post.

    You don't have to be a racer to appreciate gear. Besides, being serious doesn't make me good! :D

    I'll follow up. I'll probably order them tomorrow. I've got a few more important (to me) races left this season to test them on, plus several other smaller events that they will still be handy on.
  • 05-17-2018
    NordieBoy
    My right S-Works Trail is a little narrower than the left, which is annoying, but on the bike you forget about it.
    The only negative with them is the heel cup isn't very secure unless you've got the BOA's really cranked up.
    Not an issue when racing, but a real problem when pushing your bike back up a 200m dead end on a training ride.
    I use rubber toe studs for a little more grip, but also to protect the rubber grip on the front of the shoe.

    My spare shoes are a 10 year old pair of MTB Comps that are starting to fall apart.
    But they're sooo comfortable.
  • 05-17-2018
    mtnbkrmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    My right S-Works Trail is a little narrower than the left, which is annoying, but on the bike you forget about it.
    The only negative with them is the heel cup isn't very secure unless you've got the BOA's really cranked up.
    Not an issue when racing, but a real problem when pushing your bike back up a 200m dead end on a training ride.
    I use rubber toe studs for a little more grip, but also to protect the rubber grip on the front of the shoe.

    My spare shoes are a 10 year old pair of MTB Comps that are starting to fall apart.
    But they're sooo comfortable.

    I took the “cleats” off my 5 year old Comps and off my new S-Works as well. Maybe I should put them back on...
  • 05-18-2018
    NordieBoy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I took the “cleats” off my 5 year old Comps and off my new S-Works as well. Maybe I should put them back on...

    Go for the rubber cleats.
  • 05-18-2018
    Sidewalk
    Shoes on order. Though technically, I don't know what shoes. I just sent my LBS an email asking me to order some "XC race shoes" and "I assume S Works, but order what ever you think is best", they asked if I wanted red or black. So I assume they ordered me the SWorks. I'll find out when I pick them up :D

    Just noticed that the shoes alone will drop half a pound! That is a lot or rotating mass!
  • 05-18-2018
    mtnbkrmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Shoes on order. Though technically, I don't know what shoes. I just sent my LBS an email asking me to order some "XC race shoes" and "I assume S Works, but order what ever you think is best", they asked if I wanted red or black. So I assume they ordered me the SWorks. I'll find out when I pick them up :D

    Just noticed that the shoes alone will drop half a pound! That is a lot or rotating mass!

    Wow. THAT IS TRUST.

    Respect.
  • 05-18-2018
    Sidewalk
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Wow. THAT IS TRUST.

    Respect.

    Ha ha, we are very close friends. Husband/wife operation, with kids as back up.
  • 06-05-2018
    Sidewalk
    I got my shoes in on Saturday, got in a half mile test ride, then raced on Sunday.

    The shoes were fantastic! Only issue I ran in to was I am used to the cheaper plastic sole being able to hold on to the pedal a little so I can pedal unclipped for a few seconds as needed. I tried that with the carbon mid race and almost wrecked! But now I know and will adjust accordingly. Super comfortable, forgot I was wearing them.
  • 05-09-2019
    127.0.0.1
    just ordered s-works recon 2019...in red. red ones go faster.
  • 10-23-2019
    6D ATB-1T EVO
    Mine are 5 year now and I like them. Will probably last forever as I do not use them to walk in. Change cleats when worn out. Not shoes. Pedals: Speedplay Frogs.