Rumsfeld demands full body armor- Mtbr.com
    Who are the brain police?

Wink Rumsfeld demands full body armor

RUMSFELD DEMANDS FULL BODY ARMOR FOR NEXT MEETING WITH TROOPS

Felt 'Unprotected,' Defense Secretary Says

Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld blasted the White House today for not providing him with full body armor for his acrimonious question-and-answer session with troops in Kuwait this week, saying that the lack of body armor put him in a potentially perilous situation.

"I felt totally unprotected out there," Secretary Rumsfeld said. "You cannot send a Secretary of Defense out on a mission like that without full body armor."

Secretary Rumsfeld said he had spent hours scavenging around Kuwait City looking for body armor before his meeting with troops, and warned that he would "think twice" before engaging in another question-and-answer session without adequate protection.

The Secretary of Defense added that if the White House did not provide him with full body armor immediately, the next time he spoke to troops he would do it from inside a Bradley fighting vehicle.

At the White House, President George W. Bush said that a full body armor suit had in fact been ordered for Secretary Rumsfeld, but that it no longer fit because Mr. Rumsfeld ate too much at Thanksgiving.

Mr. Bush added that until a new body armor suit was ready, Mr. Rumsfeld would have to make do with a Brooks Brothers suit for future encounters with troops.

"You go to war with the Secretary of Defense you have," he said.

Elsewhere, congressional leaders expressed hope that the just-passed intelligence reform bill would provide accurate, up-to-date intelligence reports for the president not to read.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

sock puppet

heh...

these days i wouldnt have been surprised if i read this off of the CNN site instead of some twisted news site...

that is scary...

Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    RUMSFELD DEMANDS FULL BODY ARMOR FOR NEXT MEETING WITH TROOPS

Felt 'Unprotected,' Defense Secretary Says

Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld blasted the White House today for not providing him with full body armor for his acrimonious question-and-answer session with troops in Kuwait this week, saying that the lack of body armor put him in a potentially perilous situation.

"I felt totally unprotected out there," Secretary Rumsfeld said. "You cannot send a Secretary of Defense out on a mission like that without full body armor."

Secretary Rumsfeld said he had spent hours scavenging around Kuwait City looking for body armor before his meeting with troops, and warned that he would "think twice" before engaging in another question-and-answer session without adequate protection.

The Secretary of Defense added that if the White House did not provide him with full body armor immediately, the next time he spoke to troops he would do it from inside a Bradley fighting vehicle.

At the White House, President George W. Bush said that a full body armor suit had in fact been ordered for Secretary Rumsfeld, but that it no longer fit because Mr. Rumsfeld ate too much at Thanksgiving.

Mr. Bush added that until a new body armor suit was ready, Mr. Rumsfeld would have to make do with a Brooks Brothers suit for future encounters with troops.

"You go to war with the Secretary of Defense you have," he said.

Elsewhere, congressional leaders expressed hope that the just-passed intelligence reform bill would provide accurate, up-to-date intelligence reports for the president not to read.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    New information tells how Bill Clinton was really an alien and recieving information from elvis who lives abord an alien ship behind the moon.

I just wanted to add something in the same general theme.

It burns you that you're wrong, huh?

You've been arguing that soldiers in Iraq don't want/need armor and that they're really interested in being able to maneuver.... Wrong! Open a newspaper for elightenment.

Next!

I just wanted to add something in the same general theme.[/QUOTE]
    Ween - The Grobe

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman

You've been arguing that soldiers in Iraq don't want/need armor
    No, I have not. Please come back when you figure out what I have argued. (it's not that hard, but you seem to want to change what I have said so you can make it seem like I am arguing illogically).

Jm. the subject of armor for the troops has come up time after time. The men and women serving in Iraq have been complaining all along that they don't have the armor protection that they want to maximize their chances of living. At every post on this subject you chime in with that it's just not feasable...realistic...wanted...needed...that it displaces maneuverability therefore not a good choice. Those are not your exact words, but that's been the gist of your posts. If that isn't your position, then you have to work on your communication skills.

When soldiers actually confronted Rummy on an internationally watched forum... the point is pretty well made that more armor is needed.

Again, if you've been coming from a different point of view all along from what I'm making it out to be then enlighten me. I'm not trying to put words in your mouth or change your arguments.
    Ween - The Grobe

Jm.

Jan 2004
    I never said that troops did not want armor.

If I had power over it, I'd simply go everywhere in the army in an armored personell carrier. I'd never even get in a humvee. Even up-armored it wouldn't be as safe. And every M16 would be replaced by a SAW.

Of course this is reality, it doesn't matter what the troops "want", what matters is what it takes to win a war. My point all along has been that it's simply not as simple as you think it is. It's not a matter of giving every soldier and humvee armor, it's a matter of maximizing your fighting force. This may or MAY NOT require armor, and in some cases it definitely would or would not. Mobility and flexability are the opposite of armor and protection, and this is not something that just came about yesterday, it's something that the military and armies of the world have been trying to solve for thousands of years.

What happens when RPGs become the main threat and even an "up-armored" humvee isn't up to the mustard? Do we scrap all humvees and just ride around in armored personell carriers? What happens when anti-tank mines become the main threat? Do we scrap all APCs and throw off all the armor? No, it's all a balance. Managing an army is a delicate balance, and while I'd take all the goodies I could get my hands on for my platoon while I was a platoon sergeant, these things have to be managed at every level to try and keep them for those that really need them.

I suspect a few days in the desert in MOPP4 with weapon, gear and body-armor on might change your hardline opinion.

Perhaps spending a few days in the desert with the equipment you mentioned would change my opinion. Then again, you might find me scavenging landfills...
    Ween - The Grobe