• 01-18-2015
    Legbacon
    Royal Racing Matrix Jacket
    I picked up one of these because it was inexpensive, and waterproof/breathable. It doesn't seem as breathable as my EMS Helix Neoshell jacket but was less than 1/2 as much.

Pros
    Waterproof
    Hood is nice over the helmet
    Collar zips up high around the neck
    Breaths a bit
    Looks cool

Cons
    No pit zips
    Didn't make me faster
    Chest pocket has a opening for ear buds so DB's can listen to tunes while riding the trail in the rain.

$103 CDN at Chain Reaction. Rode in the rain lest couple of days and this kept me comfortable. Climbed in it yesterday to see what it would be like and surprise, I got pretty sweaty. Better off riding the steep hard parts without. Once on the downs and flats it was pretty good. Looked pretty stylie stopping off for a beer post ride while covered in mud (in my mind anyway). All in all pretty happy so far. Could have got a much better jacket for much more $$$ but don't usually ride in moderate rain. If just a light shower or drizzle I prefer my softshell but when it's going to rain the Matrix is a solid choice for the money. I'll post a proper review after I've had it for a while.
  • 01-19-2015
    SmittyPDX
    I have the same jacket, picked up for $50 at my lbs (deal of the day). Been wearing it around the city not wanting to get it muddy yet...hahahah. I like how waterproof it is, looks, and fit. I'm 6'4 220lbs and the xl was spot on perfect fit...even for my monkey arms. I dig it.

I run way hot so I never climb with a jacket, usually throw it on at the top. I can see how it could get toasty on the ups.