Rockgardn Trailstar Body Armor- Mtbr.com
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005

Rockgardn Trailstar Body Armor

Anybody try one of these yet? I got fed up with my (05?) Flak Jacket riding in 93 degree weather on Saturday so I cut the arms and kidney belt off. Now it kinda resembles the Trailstar

Why you're probably asking would I cut up a perfectly good Flak Jacket? My biggest gripes were the arm amour was ridiculesly over sized, the suit was very hot and the kidney belt restricted my breathing and felt uncomfortable. Honestly I usually left it unstrapped anyway when I rode so it had to go. With out the heavy arm cover I can run my much lighter and more breathable Oneal arm guards. The arm pads are so big I'm considering using them as knee/shin pads under my MX boots when I moto.

The jacket feels a lot more comfortable and breathable now with the mods.
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Jun 2006
    Thank God my FlakJacket isn't a winter coat like that one!

No wonder your did some trimming. I'd want to cut the sleeves off a thick black sweater after a while.

mtbr member
    the trailstar will be my next peice of summer protection as well as a sette impact suit for racing and winter riding. the trail star looks awesomely comfy but i dont knwo about fit as i have yet to try one on. but protection wise ti looks similar to my 661 assault short sleeve suit with half the restriction .

Ricky DH
    Yeah, the 05's were a TERRIBLE design. Their new stuff is much better/cooler.

I don't blame you for shreading that thing up!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    Yeah, the 05's were a TERRIBLE design. Their new stuff is much better/cooler.

I don't blame you for shreading that thing up!!
    That's the 2003 model...

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
    That's the 2003 model...

Oh yeah, you're right. Even older than I thought. It's nice to see how much better they have become over the years!!

mtbr member
    Does the trailstar 08/09 have a removable backplate ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had the Rockgardn Trailstar chest protector for over a year and it has seen a lot of use and looks like new. It's light and comfortable. I also have the elbow pads that attach to the shoulder pads with straps that help keep them in place. I even bought the Rockgardn hydration pack recently and that fits nicely and stays secure. Go for it, I think you will be happy with it. By the way, I think it's one size fits all, but it has lots of adjustability.

mtbr member
    I like mine trailstar, but I don't have anything else to compare is with as well. The back plate is not removable. I bought it with the forearm/elbow pads. Those I find a bit bulky and uncomfortable. It's a good buy I think.

mtbr member
    I like my trailstar, but I don't have anything else to compare is with as well. The back plate is not removable. I bought it with the forearm/elbow pads. Those I find a bit bulky and uncomfortable. It's a good buy I think.

mtbr member

Leatte Brace

The new Traistar is Leatte Brace compatible.

Dave

mtbr member
    yearh, it says "Leatt Brace compatible" on the website.

btw, I have one, and its really great, had a 661 before that, and it didnt do it for me, too little protection imo.

mtbr member
    Was the 08 not compatible as well ?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! +1

Quote Originally Posted by ragman
    I've had the Rockgardn Trailstar chest protector for over a year and it has seen a lot of use and looks like new. It's light and comfortable. I also have the elbow pads that attach to the shoulder pads with straps that help keep them in place. I even bought the Rockgardn hydration pack recently and that fits nicely and stays secure. Go for it, I think you will be happy with it. By the way, I think it's one size fits all, but it has lots of adjustability.
    Hi Folks,

I agree with this assessment! I've used my Trailstar extensively over the last two seasons and loved it. I really like the hydration pack but use Roach elbow/forearm guards instead of the RockGardn version.

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

Members who have read this thread: 0