RockGardn Poor Customer Service- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nmn

nmn
    Last edited by myitch; 10-23-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nmn
    Last edited by myitch; 10-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just about to pull the trigger on a set of elbows and knee LZMX myself. Having second thoughts now.......

EDR
    Call them directly. Be polite and state your issue. I wonder if "your online retailer" isn't the issue. Why use a middle-man anyhow. Either the store replaces them directly (usually within 30 days of purchase) or you deal with the manufacturer directly...in most cases.

Give them a call and let us know what happens. That will be a good c/s litmus test for the rest of us looking to buy pads.

Contact Us

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nmn
    Last edited by myitch; 10-23-2012 at 04:03 PM.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Thanks. I thought of that, but the RC website says to have the retailer handle the returns, so that's what I did and I'm letting them handle it. I cant say they've done a great job but I'll just have to wait.

It has been a week already so I'm not sure why RC would take so long on such a simple issue. If they don't allow the return, I'm filing a complaint with the BBB and reporting negative reviews on as many websites as possible.
    That's all good but I urge you to call them. So many issues can be solved with direct communication, even if a 3rd party has your pads at the moment. Just explain to them what's going on. I'd be surprised if you don't get immediate help. I've had some RG knee pads for 2 years with no stitching issues. I can't believe they won't replace them asap.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Interesting read....I've been looking at a pair of their shorts....I don't have any tolerance or time for poor customer service especially in an expensive market!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    Interesting read....I've been looking at a pair of their shorts....I don't have any tolerance or time for poor customer service especially in an expensive market!

Take a look at Zoic and their c/s responses they've put forward on this sub-forum lately. Great shorts (love my Ethers, will be buying more)...great c/s!

They've chimed in here lately asking people to send back shorts with zipper issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I bought a pair of LZMX pads. They fit great and were comfortable, however, within 2 months of very mild use, the hardshell plastic is separating from the foam padding, the velcro is separating from the straps, one strap broke. I never even crashed on these.

I returned to my online retailer and now RG is not accepting the return, claiming that this is normal wear and tear. WHat? To me, this is not "normal wear and tear" for a pad. I've had several pads over the years and have not had materials that separate. In their warranty section it states:

RockGardn products carry a sixth month warranty against defects in workmanship or materials.

Well, if separating materials is not a defect then I don't know what is. Its in negotiation now to have them reconsider but this is just obsurd. I hope to report back with good news but we'll see.
    Maybe I can answer your question, if you're the person that bought them from Universal. We got a call from them that they had a customer, who bought LZMX's 5 months ago, who had a problem with a calf strap that had come undone. We had no photos to go from, so we asked about the general condition of the knee guards, and was told they looked pretty thrashed. We told Universal that if there's an error in construction, or a defect in the material, it's still under warranty. On the other hand, we said if it's just something that the customer destroyed over the course of 5 months, that's just what can happen to armor... it's there to take the beating your body doesn't.

So, we suggested to Universal that if it looked like a situation where it's failure from user damage, we'd offer the customer a crash replacement at a super-lowball price, with the option of choosing either LZMX or our new Landing Zone knee/shins... just as a way to keep the customer happy.

The next day, Universal called us back, having given the crash replacement offer. They said the customer was pissed, wanted a full refund, and was already planning to buy another brand from another retailer as a replacement. At that point, we told Universal that we're essentially flying blind, since we'd never seen what happened to them in the first place. We asked them to send us photos (last week), but we've not seen any so far. We figured that Universal must have solved the problem some other way with the customer.

If this is your story, give us a call at 805-504-1583, and we'll sort it out...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
    Maybe I can answer your question, if you're the person that bought them from Universal. We got a call from them that they had a customer, who bought LZMX's 5 months ago, who had a problem with a calf strap that had come undone. We had no photos to go from, so we asked about the general condition of the knee guards, and was told they looked pretty thrashed. We told Universal that if there's an error in construction, or a defect in the material, it's still under warranty. On the other hand, we said if it's just something that the customer destroyed over the course of 5 months, that's just what can happen to armor... it's there to take the beating your body doesn't.

So, we suggested to Universal that if it looked like a situation where it's failure from user damage, we'd offer the customer a crash replacement at a super-lowball price, with the option of choosing either LZMX or our new Landing Zone knee/shins... just as a way to keep the customer happy.

The next day, Universal called us back, having given the crash replacement offer. They said the customer was pissed, wanted a full refund, and was already planning to buy another brand from another retailer as a replacement. At that point, we told Universal that we're essentially flying blind, since we'd never seen what happened to them in the first place. We asked them to send us photos (last week), but we've not seen any so far. We figured that Universal must have solved the problem some other way with the customer.

If this is your story, give us a call at 805-504-1583, and we'll sort it out...
    And therein lies the problem with an lbs as the middle man in this situation. Direct communication and sending pics will solve this issue one way or the other asap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nmn
    Last edited by myitch; 10-23-2012 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nmn
    Last edited by myitch; 10-23-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0