Road vs. MTB helmet- Mtbr.com
    jrm
    mtbr member

Road vs. MTB helmet

Are there substancial differences between the two that would warrant owning 2 helmets for use on two different bikes? Any suggestions in the $100 range?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Are there substancial differences between the two that would warrant owning 2 helmets for use on two different bikes? Any suggestions in the $100 range?
    Most helmets are convertible, just use the visor for MTB and remove it for road use Most brands will sell you the same model for both as there's really no need for two. As a matter of fact I would think assphalt would hit a lot harder than dirt.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    There used to be differences between road and MTB helmets - Road helmets had a smaller area covering the back of the head and that same area was larger on MTB helmets. Now, just about all helmets are the same and can be used for either road or MTB. Most are advertised as such. Visor on = MTB; Visor off = road.

So far, the best helmet I've owned would be the Specialized Decibel. It's very comfortable and very light. I put up a small review on the helmet here about a week ago: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...78394#poststop

The MSRP is around $169 but you should be able to get it for less. I believe that it is well worth the investment.
    MCM# 2007.1

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Visor

I like mtn helmets because of the visor. Beyond this no real differences I can see. I have the Giro E2, which is awesome, lightweight and lots of vents.
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

mtbr member
    one difference I have noticed is that road helmets don't have the same amount of vents near the back of the helmet....this is because on a road bike you sort of look up and most the air goes straight into the top front on the helmet. on a mtb you sort of look down so the top back of the helmet has vents. this is just an observation and i might be full of sh*t.
    I too am looking for a single helmet to ride road and mtb. thinking about the Met Ippogriffo, or whatever it's called.

Feb 2004

little big difference

I used to mountain bike primarily but now, because of my new home, I road bike primarily. I only have one helmet, a Giro Havoc for mountain biking. The visor can be a problem for roadies because on the road bike my body and head are in much more of an aero position (i.e. tucked) and the visor can block the top of my vision when on the road. Luckily, the Giro Havoc I have (its about a year old) has a visor that pivots so I can push it up enough that it doesn't block my view. Many Specialized helmets have visors that may be removed and replaced at will which is also nice. If my visor didn't move I would have shelled out the money for a separate road helmet but luckily I didn't have to.

PS - I have two pairs of shoes, both mountain bike shoes, which I use on both road and trails and all my bikes have Time ATAC pedals. You can take the man out of the mountain but you can't take the mountain out of the man.