Roach Armor Question

Printable View

• 01-28-2005
    enduroprorider
    Roach Armor Question
    Just curious what offers the best protection from the Roach line up the Indy DH, Rally DH or Rally FR?

Thanks.
  • 01-28-2005
    menachite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by enduroprorider
    Just curious what offers the best protection from the Roach line up the Indy DH, Rally DH or Rally FR?

Thanks.

They are all pretty much the same....I used to have the original Roach pads....the old style I think they are now the Indy pads. They were great...but the new Rally pads are the ****!

The DH and FR models are pretty much the same item.
  • 01-28-2005
    painter
    Quote:

Originally Posted by menachite
    They are all pretty much the same...

Ummmm, no they're not the same. The Indys are PE plastic inserts sewn into a cordura nylon sleeve, with thermo-moulded inner padding. The DH and FR pads have a hard plastic exteriors shell, with thermo-moulded inner padding and straps around the back.

Although the DH and FR versions look similar, the DH version has thicker padding on the inside, they're stiffer, and they have a mesh backing. The FR version doesn't have any of that.

Check out a review of the Rally DH pads (the Roach and Race Face are the same) here - http://www.nsmb.com/gear/raceface_armour_09_04.php
  • 01-28-2005
    painter
    Sorry, didn't actually answer your question. If you're looking for best protection overall, the Rally DH is the way to go. :)
  • 01-28-2005
    Bullrider
    I have the FR--luv 'em!
    The DH version are a bit bulkier and have a mesh back. THe FR version are awesome, they are very comfortable to wear in any condition (I've used mine for everything from Whistler to 3 hour x-country type rides).

They haven't slipped and have saved my skin more than once or twice.
  • 01-28-2005
    menachite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by painter
    Ummmm, no they're not the same. The Indys are PE plastic inserts sewn into a cordura nylon sleeve, with thermo-moulded inner padding. The DH and FR pads have a hard plastic exteriors shell, with thermo-moulded inner padding and straps around the back.

Although the DH and FR versions look similar, the DH version has thicker padding on the inside, they're stiffer, and they have a mesh backing. The FR version doesn't have any of that.

Check out a review of the Rally DH pads (the Roach and Race Face are the same) here - http://www.nsmb.com/gear/raceface_armour_09_04.php

Chill painter.....I should have typed a few more words out.

Let me try this again:

They are all basically the same, they offer protection, choose the model that best fits your needs.
  • 01-28-2005
    Axis
    Quote:

Thanks.

DH version is better but FR is lighter and has great protection. I love mine (fr) and would buy them again even at full price.
  • 01-28-2005
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Quote:

Thanks.

I have only used the rally Dh.....they are very nice. the only difference between the rally DH and Fr is the DH has mesh around the back to protect you as the FR has no mesh.

The DH pads are very nice and offer plenty of protection....You wouldn't go wrong choosing a set of those.

Never used the Indy DH
  • 01-29-2005
    E30Evolution
    I'll tell ya how I like them when they come in..
    After having a nice fall on concrete thanks to rain (still havent learned my dont ride on wet cement lesson) and smacking the piss out of my knee(s) I ordered some Roach FR shin/knee guards a few days ago. I'll throw in how I like them whenever they ship in which should be soon. All the reviews I've heard on them say you'll forget you're even wearing them, sounds good to me :)
  • 01-30-2005
    finchy
    i rode the rally FRs for a few rides last season. tehy are great! they ventilate well, don get in your way when you ride. just very well designed knee shin guards! i had indys before and they never stayed in one spot. just tuck the bottom of the foam into ur socks or somehtin cuz u dont want it flaring out and gettin all torn up in ur gears
  • 01-30-2005
    powderho
    i've used the newer version of the indy's for a season. they worked "pretty good". i didn't feel they protected the top of my knee very well. i replaced them with some hoots--which have the best protection on the market--whith some drawbacks of course. DON'T get the rally FR, unless they beefed up the stitching this year. i saw almost a dozen pair last summer that were ripped. the DH on the other hand are probably going to be my next set of pads though. the stitching is way better