Riding Pants- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding Pants

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Riding Pants

I just started riding this fall, and I'm loving it. I don't want to stop completely over the winter, so I'm going to need some pants. I've been using short liners and they've been fine so far. I tried to use my hiking pants over those yesterday, but they kept getting hung up on the chainring. I live in north Georgia, so the weather isn't extreme here. Most days I'll be riding over the winter won't be below 45. However, that's cold enough to need some sort of leg protection. What would you suggest? Are there any pants or tights that work well, and aren't extremely expensive? Even better, are there any convertible pants that I can also use as shorts in the summer, getting more out of them. We have many more warmer months than colder here.

the half breed devil
    humvee endura knickers.

hands down the best piece of cycling apparel i've ever used in twenty plus years of riding.

they're available in the US, too.

Men's Hummvee 3/4 with Liner

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In cool to cold weather I've had great luck with Stoic Overhang softshell pants. Great material--really comfortable in a wide range of conditions, and deals well with wet too. I did a Canadian Rockies bike tour this past summer, and basically lived in them, on and off the bike, in rain, sun, and temps from 35 to 80. The on-bike fit could be improved a little, however, since they have no means of on-the-fly waist adjustment without using a belt. You might check them out, or some other spring-weight softshell pants.

Alternatively, I Azonic/Oneal makes a convertible moto pant, the Apocalypse, that would likely be usable all year. They look pretty good, but I haven't tried 'em.

meow meow
    i use kona adam pants. pretty thin (like an average baggie) but they keep the wind off and heat in and have a nice tapered fit that keeps them from getting hung up. they also have adjustable velcro tabs for the waist and ankle openings. pretty good looking imo. i do use nike pro leggings under them though when it gets really chilly.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Keep an eye on Chainlove, I've got Royal, Race Face and Nema dh pants from them in the past for a fraction of retail price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If the coldest its going to get is 45 degrees, I dont think I could wear pants. For my coolish rides, even rides that I typically wouldnt wear my knee pads, I wear my usual shorts, knee pads (my pads go down to mid shin) and wool socks that are a bit higher than my normal summer socks. It still offers quite a bit of leg coverage, but still allows some air flow. If youre getting cold while riding, you probably need to ride harder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any Suggestions for 32 degrees and under?
    Firm believer in Karma

Tree Crasher
    45 degree rides? Pants are overkill. The general rule is to start your ride uncomfortably chilled because in ten minutes you'll be warm enough. I wear those stretchy leg warmers for 35* rides. Pull em up to your crotch then put on your shorts.

I remember on my first winter ride I made the noob mistake of overdressing. Twenty minutes later I was drenched in sweat.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

40f

No pants for MTB. For the road, sweatpants or the polyester jogging pants you can find at target work great. Use rubber bands to keep the fabric out of your chainring. REI has nice upgrades if you need them. I just got novara windblocker fronted pants for road. Pearl Izumi also makes a nice chamois undershort (mesh legs) for reasonable dollars.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingdave View Post
    Any Suggestions for 32 degrees and under?
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i use kona adam pants. pretty thin (like an average baggie) but they keep the wind off and heat in and have a nice tapered fit that keeps them from getting hung up. they also have adjustable velcro tabs for the waist and ankle openings. pretty good looking imo. i do use nike pro leggings under them though when it gets really chilly.
    ^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd suggest knee warmers. Sleeves that cover your knees and just leave small gaps between socks and shorts. Ibex makes very high quality merino wool ones, if you want the best. Syntheitics will be lighter but not as temprature comfortable. Swobo is also excellent. I do wear tights below freezing, over lycra. Be sure to get a merino shirt and socks. Lightweight for cycling, midweight for below 20 degrees.Slightly loose fitting is perfect for wool.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I live where it gets into the 40's, mostly 50's on cold days, but rainy a lot of the winter.
    I've been wearing 3/4 pants like the humvee's for a good year now and really like them.
    I got some of those women's cheapo yoga pants (3/4 length) since I haven't found any cheapo men's pants that long.
    UnderArmor and the like for men's compression shorts cost much more than the knee-length women's stretchy pants.

The actual 'yoga' stuff is expensive, and cutting long stretchy pants doesn't work so well for me since it always starts rolling up and/or fraying.
    I don't care that they're sold as women's since they're just black anyway. They work well under my mtb pants in cold weather, with pads sometimes covering the lower portions of my legs.

I actually get too hot anyway so less is better for me. I just wear that underlayer when it's wet and cold. The underlayer pants were $12 at one of those cheapo clothing stores at the mall.

At first it was a bit unnerving to go into the women's dept. and buy them... until I got all that bs about my masculinity out of the way, and now I'm real happy to get something like these for so little money.
    Comparable "yoga" pants can run 3X or more the cost for the same fabric and cut.

Anyway, I also have a pair of those knee 'leggings' I got from a bike shop and sometimes wear under my knee pads. These also help with my knee/shin guards that rub on place on one knee when I wear them on long rides.

I find that if I keep my thighs reasonably covered and my torso as well, I don't worry about my arms or lower legs so much.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
    I live where it gets into the 40's, mostly 50's on cold days, but rainy a lot of the winter.
    I've been wearing 3/4 pants like the humvee's for a good year now and really like them.
    I got some of those women's cheapo yoga pants (3/4 length) since I haven't found any cheapo men's pants that long.
    UnderArmor and the like for men's compression shorts cost much more than the knee-length women's stretchy pants.

The actual 'yoga' stuff is expensive, and cutting long stretchy pants doesn't work so well for me since it always starts rolling up and/or fraying.
    I don't care that they're sold as women's since they're just black anyway. They work well under my mtb pants in cold weather, with pads sometimes covering the lower portions of my legs.

I actually get too hot anyway so less is better for me. I just wear that underlayer when it's wet and cold. The underlayer pants were $12 at one of those cheapo clothing stores at the mall.

At first it was a bit unnerving to go into the women's dept. and buy them... until I got all that bs about my masculinity out of the way, and now I'm real happy to get something like these for so little money.
    Comparable "yoga" pants can run 3X or more the cost for the same fabric and cut.

Anyway, I also have a pair of those knee 'leggings' I got from a bike shop and sometimes wear under my knee pads. These also help with my knee/shin guards that rub on place on one knee when I wear them on long rides.

I find that if I keep my thighs reasonably covered and my torso as well, I don't worry about my arms or lower legs so much.
    How does your butt look in those?
    I get it though. I used to buy chick jeans before men's bootcut became popular way back in the day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook View Post
    How does your butt look in those?
    I get it though. I used to buy chick jeans before men's bootcut became popular way back in the day.
    HA! Don't know... can't bend around that far to see myself
    My girlfriend likes my butt though... says it's cute
    It's getting wet and cold here so I'll be breaking out the cold gear for rides, especially night rides, once my broken rib heals.