Riding near Helmetta...anyone.....anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. Riding near Helmetta...anyone.....anyone?

I try to travel with a bike whenever possible, mt, road, single speed cross, but I primarily like to do as much dirt riding as possible. Whenever I visit my sister in Helmetta I end up driving nearly an hour to Sandy Hook to get in some trail riding. If anyone knows of anything more local, the more technical the better, I would really appreciate the information. Thanks alot!

Jeremy

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    Not sure if this helps, but:

http://www.mtbnj.com/directory.php

Trail directory with google links for driving directions.

Cheers!
    Steve

mtbnj.com
    Frost woods is right up the road from helmetta, not terribly big or technical but there is dirt, you can actually ride your bike there from helmetta. I would also think that Clayton, Allaire, The Rutgers stuff and even Chimney Rock can all be had in under an hour.

walter
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

I like wheelies
    Frost Woods in East Brunswick is a fun place to go play around for an hour or so; it's ten minutes from Helmetta in the car. Just park at the back of the office lot on the corner of Summerhill and Old Stage Rd.

Clayton Park is about 30 minutes south of Helmetta and almost entirely swoopy singletrack. It'll be a blast on a cross bike if you bring that.

Definitely check our the trail directory on www.mtbnj.com.

i want spring!

Places

Don't forget Cheesequake. You will have to pay after Memorial Day but it's worth looking into it. Frost is boring, i'd head to Cheesequake over that place.
    6 Mile (a hidden gem) is off of Rt. 27, in I guess that's Franklin Park. Clayton would be far for you, so Hartshorne would be considerably closer.

good luck!

~db
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

mtbnj.com
    Clayton may actually be quicker, tp to 537 to clayton, hartshorne is all highway, lights, traffic, all that bs.

Please refer mtbnj.com for future rides

DB is right, how we forgot to mention 6 mile, a short ride from Helmetta.
    Cheesequake is always free, just gotta know where to park.
    Why we are responding to someone who isnt, I dont know
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by walter
    Something to do?

I like wheelies
    Quote Originally Posted by walter
    Clayton may actually be quicker, tp to 537 to clayton, hartshorne is all highway, lights, traffic, all that bs.

Please refer mtbnj.com for future rides

DB is right, how we forgot to mention 6 mile, a short ride from Helmetta.
    Cheesequake is always free, just gotta know where to park.
    Right on with the 6 Mile recommendation, though conditions are an issue there.

Walter is right. As someone who makes the trips regularly, I can guarantee you that Clayton is less time in the car from there than Hartshorne.

Cheesequake's only legal riding is the multi-use trail and that's only a couple of miles of trail. The hiking trails were once a great place to ride, but it's been a long time since the no-bikes rules weren't enforced. IMO, not worth the effort. 30 minutes on the multi-use and you'll be looking for something else to do.

Frost Woods may not be full of technical trails, but it is a good place to pedal and there's some fun twisty singletrack and some ups & downs. For a place 10 minutes from Helmetta, it's worth your while for an hour of riding w/o much of a commute. If you've got more time on your hands, some of the other places offer more.

I assume you're already referring to Hartshorne when you mention driving to "Sandy Hook" for trail riding? There's no trail riding that I know of on the Hook itself. If there is, it's awfully minimal.

Nov 2004

Thompson Park in Jamesburg

Just down the road is Thompson Park in Jamesburg. There's a bunch of singletrack in the back (assuming the lake is on the front side). Either:

1) go to the end of the lot between the lake and zoo and climb the paved path. There's a trailhead in the far left corner of the field at the top and a fire road. Or left on the fire road takes you to some trails.

2) Go up the main paved road to the flat part in the back with a dog park and mowed fields. Ride the treeline for a bunch of trailheads.

It's not a lot, but when I was visiting my in-laws in East Brunswick it was a nice escape, as was Frost Woods. It's nicer, and there's more riding then Frost.

Members who have read this thread: 0