Riding glasses with swappable lenses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Riding glasses with swappable lenses

I am not quite sure how to go about searching for these, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm looking for riding glasses with lenses that can be swapped out (clear, dark, etc). In the past I have purchased them through Pricepoint under the Sette brand (usually for under $30) and they've worked well, but obviously that's not an option anymore. Unfortunately I used my most recent pair for trailwork over the weekend, and ended up driving off with them on the roof of my car somehow.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    I found some Tifosi Lore in the REI Garage for $37 a few months back. (Now discontinued.) They had three interchangeable lenses. Mirrored yellow, red and clear and I like them a lot. I wear red most of the time while riding. There's a bunch of glasses in the REI garage right now but all are $50 or more.

mtbr member
    I had a pair of Tifosi's years ago but tried a pair of Smith pivlocks and never looked back. they are great for riding and the new 'chromapop' lenses are amazing. they come with two or three different lenses depending on the model. well worth the $$.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    a lot of people don't like to hear it, but high quality riding glasses are better. you will enjoy the lenses, durability, fit & finish and functionality . consider how many times you use them, and their impact on your ride experience. you'll be happy you invested. I actually used a pair of Sette glasses or a few seasons. They didn't sit perfectly on my face, and the arms hurt my head a little bit, and they were kind of cheap looking/feeling...BUT...I figured it wasn't so bad. They're an outstanding value w/3 lenses and an excellent hard case that I still use today. Until I got a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets as a gift, been using them extensively for 3 years and will never go back.

As they say, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    a lot of people don't like to hear it, but high quality riding glasses are better. you will enjoy the lenses, durability, fit & finish and functionality . consider how many times you use them, and their impact on your ride experience. you'll be happy you invested. I actually used a pair of Sette glasses or a few seasons. They didn't sit perfectly on my face, and the arms hurt my head a little bit, and they were kind of cheap looking/feeling...BUT...I figured it wasn't so bad. They're an outstanding value w/3 lenses and an excellent hard case that I still use today. Until I got a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets as a gift, been using them extensively for 3 years and will never go back.

As they say, the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    I respectfully disagree that for glasses price automatically equals quality and durability. Especially with plastic glasses. After a branch horribly scratched the plastic lenses on a $150 pair of Oakleys I decided not to blow big money on glasses that were going to get beat up in the woods. I paid less than $40 for the Tifosi glasses I mentioned above and have nothing but good things to say about the quality and fit. They are definitely built better than my Oakley Razor Blades. For overcast skies and deep woods, I wear a pair of Smith & Wesson shooting glasses with a yellow blade style lens that look very similar to my Razor Blades. I bought them at Tractor supply for $10. For night riding I wear a pair of $10 clear safety glasses that I bought at Lowes. They don't even look like safety glasses. All that said, try on whatever you buy. Fit is important.

I love Oakley, I have a metal-framed pair that I wear daily, just don't want to beat them up in the woods.

mtbr member
    I have some North Face ones that come with three different lenses. Had a Google and I can't see them, maybe not made any more.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    A lot of people don't like to hear it, but high quality riding glasses are better.
    It's not that I don't want to hear it but I don't agree. These days I use Uvex safety glasses and they're absolutely fine. They come in lots of different styles and tints and do the job just as well as expensive glasses. I don't see any reason to pay more.

mtbr member
    Tifosi are nice for the money, but I recently switched to UVEX Protégé after using them at work. They're cheap enough that I was able to buy both clear and tinted glasses. They also fog less than all 3 sets of tifosi I've owned due to how the lens isn't attached at the top of the glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=uvex+protege

mtbr member
    Forgot the picture, and for some reason I couldn't edit my other post. The frames flex out when you put them on and get closer to the lens, but there's still a decent gap that allows air to flow.

Riding glasses with swappable lenses-6131cqttxll._sl1500_.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    I respectfully disagree that for glasses price automatically equals quality and durability.

True. However, that's true with anything.

People spend big money on Nike shoes, yet, if you talk to someone who really uses shoes (runners) they will say Nike's are crap. (Which I agree with).

You can spend $300 on a set of Oakleys, but they really won't do anything better than a cheaper pair.

BUT, if you compare $5 safety glasses to a $60 Tifosi, or a $130 set of Smiths - the Tifosi's and Smiths blow the $5 safety glasses out of the water.

I used to only use safety glasses, because of cost. BUT, in the humid stuff, they fogged very easily, and were not the "most" comfortable. I bought Tifosi Podium glasses, and love them. Last year though, I left them at home when we went away for a week, and I ended up spending more than I wanted to on a pair of Smiths. I think it was $130.

The Smiths ARE more comfortable than the Tifosi frames, and they seem to not get as much sweat on them because of how they sit. They don't slip down as much either. All in all, I will wear either the Tifosi or the Smith - but I do like the Smith ones better.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    I respectfully disagree that for glasses price automatically equals quality and durability. Especially with plastic glasses. After a branch horribly scratched the plastic lenses on a $150 pair of Oakleys I decided not to blow big money on glasses that were going to get beat up in the woods. I paid less than $40 for the Tifosi glasses I mentioned above and have nothing but good things to say about the quality and fit. They are definitely built better than my Oakley Razor Blades. For overcast skies and deep woods, I wear a pair of Smith & Wesson shooting glasses with a yellow blade style lens that look very similar to my Razor Blades. I bought them at Tractor supply for $10. For night riding I wear a pair of $10 clear safety glasses that I bought at Lowes. They don't even look like safety glasses. All that said, try on whatever you buy. Fit is important.

I love Oakley, I have a metal-framed pair that I wear daily, just don't want to beat them up in the woods.
    All my glasses are Oakley. They are pricey...but they fit my face. All the other brands sit too low on my face. Like they are made for people with really tall noses.

I do agree about the Oakley lenses scratching if you look at them wrong. I just noticed some fine scratches on my Jawbreakers. I've been so careful in handling them. The Prizm lenses are pretty awesome though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I had a pair of Tifosi's years ago but tried a pair of Smith pivlocks and never looked back. they are great for riding and the new 'chromapop' lenses are amazing. they come with two or three different lenses depending on the model. well worth the $$.
    I have a pair of the Smith's also and think they are great. I use the tinted lens for normal riding and the clear lens for night riding. Smith will also stand behind their products and their support has been great from my experience. I'd look at backcountry.com as they are usually discounting them and combined with active junky you can get them for easily under a $100.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Smith Pivlocks are a dime a dozen on ebay. I got a like-new set with lenses and case for $25. The lenses arent going to compete with $100 glasses (glare will cause starburst streaking), but you get 3 of them and theres no distortion so while a single lens isnt worth $100 they are much better than lenses on a pair of $30 glasses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thank you everyone. I found the Tifosi Lore on Amazon, and will try those out. Looks like they are vented which I'm excited about, my cheaper glasses always fogged up a lot for winter riding, especially below 0F. I do hear the argument about spending the money on really nice glasses, but considering I just drove off with my glasses on the roof of my car recently, I think I will take baby steps into the realm of nicer glasses lol. Thanks!