Oct 2016

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?

Good timing as my 5-10's have seen better days

Looking at the Session series, they have at face value alot of key features

D30 insole
    Solid Toe protection
    Mid Arch support

Plus they look pretty good (IMHO) and are at a solid price point

Obviously, longevity and post sales support are unknown, but they have peaked my interest and Ill be grabbing a pair in November

https://rideconcepts.com/collections...session-series

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm picking a pair up as quickly as I can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I'm picking a pair up as quickly as I can.

yep. same here!
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Piqued
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

since 4/10/2009
    I looked at these awhile back. I'll wait and let y'all be the guinea pigs. I get a good deal on five tens for now, so I don't plan on spending substantially more unless they're substantially better.

Something I'd REALLY STRONGLY appreciate from some company is a shoe that doesn't soak up seemingly pounds of water when I ride through a deep creek crossing. Five tens take forever to dry once they get wet. So if I hit a wet crossing early in my ride, I get to steam in my shoes for hours before I can take them off and put sandals on to air my feet out. And they might not even be dry the next day, depending on how warm/humid it is outside. I probably need a shoe/boot dryer for that, but still - on a warm, sunny summer day I'd appreciate my shoes to dry out reasonably fast.

One advantage of clipless shoes. Every pair I've ever worn, even though none have fit me all that well, dried out quickly and breathed pretty well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I looked at these awhile back. I'll wait and let y'all be the guinea pigs. I get a good deal on five tens for now, so I don't plan on spending substantially more unless they're substantially better.

Something I'd REALLY STRONGLY appreciate from some company is a shoe that doesn't soak up seemingly pounds of water when I ride through a deep creek crossing. Five tens take forever to dry once they get wet. So if I hit a wet crossing early in my ride, I get to steam in my shoes for hours before I can take them off and put sandals on to air my feet out. And they might not even be dry the next day, depending on how warm/humid it is outside. I probably need a shoe/boot dryer for that, but still - on a warm, sunny summer day I'd appreciate my shoes to dry out reasonably fast.

One advantage of clipless shoes. Every pair I've ever worn, even though none have fit me all that well, dried out quickly and breathed pretty well.
    This exact problem has me thinking about picking up another pair of freerider pro's (I find they dry better than the canvas freeriders). My current pair are completely fine, but I figure I can have an extra set of shoes for day two of riding. Starting rides with wet shoes is pretty undesirable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    Obviously, longevity and post sales support are unknown, but they have peaked my interest and Ill be grabbing a pair in November

Normally I stick to the tried and true and let others be the testers for new products. Unfortunately, since Adidas bought out 5.10, there is no tried and true. It's hard for me to believe RC is going to be any worse on longevity or warranty than Adidas 5.10s have been.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    @ Harold- Couldnt agree more, Ive been chalking it up to the soggy PNW weather, but clearly its the way the shoes are designed. Also as you know, once they get wet and stay wet they start to smell like wet camel toe...

@ Joules- My 5-10s are around 3.5 seasons old, so they are an older build. Of the things I've read about most of the flat pedal shoes, 2 seasons are the AVG to expect: If RC's give me that Im sold

I wonder where they will be available for purchase? Haven't seen their distribution model- LBS vs Online vs D2C..my fingers are crossed that they have a CDN sales channel

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    This exact problem has me thinking about picking up another pair of freerider pro's (I find they dry better than the canvas freeriders). My current pair are completely fine, but I figure I can have an extra set of shoes for day two of riding. Starting rides with wet shoes is pretty undesirable.
    @ Harold- Couldnt agree more, Ive been chalking it up to the soggy PNW weather, but clearly its the way the shoes are designed. Also as you know, once they get wet and stay wet they start to smell like wet camel toe...

@ Joules- My 5-10s are around 3.5 seasons old, so they are an older build. Of the things I've read about most of the flat pedal shoes, 2 seasons are the AVG to expect: If RC's give me that Im sold

I wonder where they will be available for purchase? Haven't seen their distribution model- LBS vs Online vs D2C..my fingers are crossed that they have a CDN sales channel
    I have a pair of OG Freeriders that are REALLY bad drying out. I don't really wear them anymore. There's a tear in the sole of one of them from my pedals so now water comes in from the bottom. No bueno. I may seal them up and just wear them as regular shoes. They're not the canvas ones, but the other ones...synthetic leather or whatever they use. They still soak up water badly. My main pair now are Freerider Contacts. Different construction, but IMO they still soak up a lot of water. There's just so much fabric in the uppers for padding/comfort that if they get wet, they get heavy and clammy. I demo'd a pair of the Freerider Pros about a year and a half ago at the Sedona MTB Fest and I'm not sure that the upper construction is substantially different from the Contacts. Stiffer sole, sure, but I definitely don't get the feeling that they'd be any better regarding soaking up water.

Gore tex really isn't an option, either. IME, that works well when it's cold/wet and you're looking to keep your skin dry from stepping in shallow, cold streams. Maybe light rain. But it doesn't necessarily help keep the shoes themselves from soaking up the water, since it's an inner liner. Besides, I HATE gore-tex in summertime conditions. And the sorts of stream crossings I'm talking about are pretty major. To the extent that usually, my whole body gets soaked from riding through. Everything else...except my shoes...dries off fairly quickly. In fact, I seek these opportunities out when it's in the 80's or 90's in the summertime. I just outright avoid them in the cool months. I take my shoes off entirely when I'm crossing rivers that are thigh-deep. Usually pack a pair of extra socks specifically for those water crossings. Those trails also get avoided in the cool months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wonder if RC will have better market penetration than their GoodYear tyres?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm down for the $60 flip flops...... https://rideconcepts.com/collections...ession-coaster

Dirty Old Man

A bit off topic, but I use a dehydrator for my hiking shoes which get wet quite often.
    . . . . . . . .

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I definitely want to try the RC's but I just grabbed a pair of the Giro Riddance flats shoes since my 5.10's and 2FO's were toast. No new 5.10 sizes until January, just could not wait.

Curious on the feedback from this shoe.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    A bit off topic, but I use a dehydrator for my hiking shoes which get wet quite often.
    As in a food dehydrator?

Dirty Old Man
    As in a food dehydrator?
    Yep. One of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-390...pSrc=srch&th=1

Works great and I can fit mine and my kids' shoes in there. We have two of them, so it's not like I'm ruining the one we use for food.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    A PEET boot dryer would work pretty good as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I just grabbed a pair of the Giro Riddance flats shoes
    I received my Riddance Mids two days before pink bikes review of them...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    I received my Riddance Mids two days before pink bikes review of them...
    Just read the PB review, which was disappointing..

Is it real world experience? or ..?

mtbr member
    RC look interesting. I've got enough 5.10's to get me through to March 2020 longer if I put my Impact Lows back in rotation. I'll be keen to see what you folks think of RC shoes. If they get positive real owner reviews I don't mind trying something new.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I have a pair of OG Freeriders that are REALLY bad drying out.
    I would love a pair of MTB flat pedal friendly shoes that would dry quick. The only thing I have found is water shoes, but they have poor support and poor flat pedal grip. That's worse than wearing wet MTB shoes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Short-Change-Hero
    Currently running a pair of Adidas Terrex TrailCross first gens and they have been great so far. Have a 2 season old pair of Freerider VXi that I picked up back in 2016 on clearance (2015 model) that were just too clunky for me.

With RC being local to me, I will give them a shot once I am in need of another set of shoes. Gotta support local when/where I can!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Oh good. More $100+ shoes. Revelation!
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    They've been on launch for like 6 months now. I contacted them asking how to purchase and they're not available until November. WTF! This was their response.

Thanks for your email. Glad you like our product!

Our Session Series will be available November 2018. Flow/Launch and socks will be available Spring 2019. Please check back then to order!

Thanks!
    Ride Concepts
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Got a response to an email I sent about sales to Canada

Hi ehfour,

Thanks for checking in! We are still dialing in our plan for Canada. We may ship direct from our website. I'd suggest subscribing to our email list for updates (at bottom of our home page).

Cheers,
    Anne
    Ride Concepts

mtbr member
    All I can say is these shoes had better be incredible. Longest launch release ever!
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    these are now available

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    these are now available
    Nice. When you folks start to wear them can you post up how they fit compared to 5.10's? I'll have to mail order and I know the fit on my 5.10's well so it would be great to hear how they compare.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Nice. When you folks start to wear them can you post up how they fit compared to 5.10's? I'll have to mail order and I know the fit on my 5.10's well so it would be great to hear how they compare.
    HA! I am letting everyone else do the testing.

mtbr member
    HA! I am letting everyone else do the testing.
    Definitely. Some people like being early adopters. I'm not going to stop them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Hi, just came across this thread and I believe the solution to your problem is the Freerider EPS. It is water resistant if memory serves me right.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Hi, just came across this thread and I believe the solution to your problem is the Freerider EPS. It is water resistant if memory serves me right.
    It is also insulated in the forefoot, which I do not want. My feet run warm/sweaty. For summer use, I don't really even care if the shoe is water resistant. Just that it doesn't absorb and hold water. For this time of year, I would be fine with a water resistant exterior and no insulation.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    It is also insulated in the forefoot, which I do not want. My feet run warm/sweaty. For summer use, I don't really even care if the shoe is water resistant. Just that it doesn't absorb and hold water. For this time of year, I would be fine with a water resistant exterior and no insulation.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Ah, I see. I guess it canít be helped then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm interested in these... and the SCg Sound shoes that are $70~ apparently

I've heard rumors of another pretty cool offering coming from a major bike brand..but I can't say what exactly yet.. but it could be pretty interesting..

I live in SoCal and my 5 10 freeriders are perfect for here.. it is rarely wet / muddy.. and most trails and many trails are closed in the rain anyways..

I got a screaming deal (well technically they were a gift) on my freeriders my wife got them for like $60~ or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I put in an order for the Wildcat

Ill be sure to put a review when they get to me, comparing 510 Freeriders

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I love the Wildcats but they don't make them for SPD's. I've emailed back and forth a few times and SPD shoes are coming soon..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm interested in these shoes. My FiveTens are a couple years old with a hole where the fabric meets the sole on one shoe. I want something with a better toe box support that I have on my freeriders. Had a toe strike this summer and lost the nail on my bog toe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anybody get a pair yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Anybody get a pair yet?
    No not yet. Iím thinking about canceling my order.

I placed an order in the 30th, received an email on the 4th saying there was a small delay in shipping them.

I donít have a time constraint, it just bugs me that they posted these are ready for sale when either they donít even have stock on hand or they sold out

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    They are an attractive looking shoe
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Update: Got an email from Ann at RC- She advised that their delay was due to the shoes being in Customs and that the shoes should be out released and ready to ship Wednesday this week

In an effort to keep the order, they offered 2 day shipping and a special edition t-shirt

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Update: Got an email from Ann at RC- She advised that their delay was due to the shoes being in Customs and that the shoes should be out released and ready to ship Wednesday this week

In an effort to keep the order, they offered 2 day shipping and a special edition t-shirt
    you mean today?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    you mean today?
    Yes, that was the day that was in my email and their IG account.

Just got the shipping notification
    Last edited by ehfour; 12-12-2018 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Got the shoes

Initial review

Build quality: The shoes look to be made well, no loose ends, very clean stitching and very clean glue lines

Materials: Seem to be very good quality, from the inside and outside- Looks to be a high wearing material

Soles Wore them around the house for a few minutes- They appear to have a mold release wax, but they have a high amount of grip. There is a bit of flex in the sole, so walking around was comfortable

If Freeriders are 10/10 for grip, these are 8/10

Sizing I have a narrow foot, and wear a size 10 in Nike(janoski, Free runs) and Adidas ( Boost) I ordered a size 10. Sizing is spot on for length and for the width.

Narrower than my current 510's

Overall impressions sitting in my office are its a great looking shoe and is comfortable (15 mins)

The real test will be longevity and riding test

TL;DR Nice shoes, not as sticky as 510s(walking) Sizing was spot on

Pics of the Wildcats

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb16673536.jpgRide Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb16673534.jpgRide Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb16673542.jpgRide Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb16673543.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Got the shoes

Initial review

Build quality: The shoes look to be made well, no loose ends, very clean stitching and very clean glue lines

Materials: Seem to be very good quality, from the inside and outside- Looks to be a high wearing material

Soles Wore them around the house for a few minutes- They appear to have a mold release wax, but they have a high amount of grip. There is a bit of flex in the sole, so walking around was comfortable

Sizing I have a narrow foot, and wear a size 10 in Nike(janoski, Free runs) and Adidas ( Boost) I ordered a size 10. Sizing is spot on for length and for the width.

Overall impressions sitting in my office are its a great looking shoe and is comfortable (15 mins)

Pics of the Wildcats

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16673536.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	1229022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16673534.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	1229023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16673542.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	1229024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb16673543.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	1229025
    This is super helpful. Thanks.

I'm in Calgary. I am thinking of ordering a pair of Livewire shoes and Coaster sandals. What size of Freeriders do you wear? Size 10? Just wondering if I should order the same size as my Freeriders (and Sam Hills, and Maltese Falcons, and numerous other Five Tens I have as well).

Also, how much was shipping and customs/brokers fees? I hate having to pay an exorbitant amount for customs/brokers fees, with a courier staring at me telling me that either I pay or I don't get the stuff I ordered. Just looking for a total cost and breakdown, in CDN $, if that's not too much trouble.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just checked sizing in some of my Five Tens. US 12 for a couple of pair of Freeriders and Sam Hills, US 11 for Maltese Falcons. Very odd. I do not want to screw up sizing given what the costs of a return would be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    This is super helpful. Thanks.

I'm in Calgary. I am thinking of ordering a pair of Livewire shoes and Coaster sandals. What size of Freeriders do you wear? Size 10? Just wondering if I should order the same size as my Freeriders (and Sam Hills, and Maltese Falcons, and numerous other Five Tens I have as well).

Also, how much was shipping and customs/brokers fees? I hate having to pay an exorbitant amount for customs/brokers fees, with a courier staring at me telling me that either I pay or I don't get the stuff I ordered. Just looking for a total cost and breakdown, in CDN $, if that's not too much trouble.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just checked sizing in some of my Five Tens. US 12 for a couple of pair of Freeriders and Sam Hills, US 11 for Maltese Falcons. Very odd. I do not want to screw up sizing given what the costs of a return would be.
    Replied to your IM

Living in the lower mainland, I was able to get the shoes shipped to Bellingham and bring them across the border at no cost

high pivot witchcraft
    Replied to your IM

Living in the lower mainland, I was able to get the shoes shipped to Bellingham and bring them across the border at no cost
    Nice. Lucky you.

Yesterday my GF was all over me, so to speak, about xmas presents. I was able to track down a pair of pre-Adidas Freeriders and some other sweet ass biking stuff that I directed her to.

I may wait a bit to see what the verdict is on these new RCs before I throw down on them.

I missed the whole Adidas/FiveTen shit show that is apparently in progress with Adidas' acquisition. I take it that availability is now delayed for months, and that quality will be suspect given what I understand to be Adidas' meddling with the proven formula. Is all that generally correct?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Nice. Lucky you.

Yesterday my GF was all over me, so to speak, about xmas presents. I was able to track down a pair of pre-Adidas Freeriders and some other sweet ass biking stuff that I directed her to.

I may wait a bit to see what the verdict is on these new RCs before I throw down on them.

I missed the whole Adidas/FiveTen shit show that is apparently in progress with Adidas' acquisition. I take it that availability is now delayed for months, and that quality will be suspect given what I understand to be Adidas' meddling with the proven formula. Is all that generally correct?

Anyway, thanks for the help.
    I am on this thread for that very reason. Trying to find a size above 7 in mens for freeriders is impossible (I joke, but I can't find what I want in 11.5-12).

high pivot witchcraft
    I am on this thread for that very reason. Trying to find a size above 7 in mens for freeriders is impossible (I joke, but I can't find what I want in 11.5-12).
    I was lucky enough to find a 12 lurking about.

mtbr member
    Jenson is selling the old style Freeriders: https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-Freerider-Shoes

Stock comes and goes. They do have some bigger sizes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

high pivot witchcraft
    Jenson is selling the old style Freeriders: https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-Freerider-Shoes

Stock comes and goes. They do have some bigger sizes.
    My GF scooped a pair of Freeriders in a size 12 from MEC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Is the wildcat more for downhill and less pedaling? I like the ankle coverage but not sure if this is a shoe you can pedal in all day

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Is the wildcat more for downhill and less pedaling? I like the ankle coverage but not sure if this is a shoe you can pedal in all day
    I did a 20 mile ride with my Wildcats yesterday with around 3k climbing. They worked great. Very comfortable.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Also the ankle protection is really nice. They seem very well built but time will tell how they hold up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Love my five tens and I think they've held up very well after a full year of hard riding. I do have the same issues as mentioned above...they are slow to dry, impossible to clean, and really hard to find size 13. I still think the grip on the pedals is amazing and trumps those negatives. But if these RC's work well on the pedals and dry faster Id probably try them.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by JDHutch View Post
    Love my five tens and I think they've held up very well after a full year of hard riding. I do have the same issues as mentioned above...they are slow to dry, impossible to clean, and really hard to find size 13. I still think the grip on the pedals is amazing and trumps those negatives. But if these RC's work well on the pedals and dry faster Id probably try them.
    Donít forget the stink. Once wet, my Five Tens stink worse than any footwear I have ever owned. In fact, itís the only footwear I own that stinks.

Despite that, I found a SECOND pair of size 12 Free Riders that I scooped. Should be good for a while now. Stinky, but good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Donít forget the stink. Once wet, my Five Tens stink worse than any footwear I have ever owned. In fact, itís the only footwear I own that stinks.

Despite that, I found a SECOND pair of size 12 Free Riders that I scooped. Should be good for a while now. Stinky, but good.
    You suck. I kept looking for size 12. Nothing.
    Waiting for some reviews to say these RCs are sticky, i will then try them out.

high pivot witchcraft
    You suck. I kept looking for size 12. Nothing.
    Waiting for some reviews to say these RCs are sticky, i will then try them out.
    My GF got my first pair last week at MEC in Canada, which is the US equivalent of REI. Have you checked there? My LBS was able to order me a second pair. I just heard from them yesterday. Not sure from where.

I spent 5 minutes on the phone and tracked down 2 pair. I am not convinced they are totally extinct yet. I think there may still be some out there gathering dust.

CORRECTION: Freeriders from MEC; Freerider Pros from my LBS...
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 12-22-2018 at 11:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    I did a 20 mile ride with my Wildcats yesterday with around 3k climbing. They worked great. Very comfortable.
    How are the soles with pedals compared to the stickiness of 510s?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I have not had any issues with my feet slipping. If they hold up to the abuse they will be a winner for sure in my opinion. So far so good but only 5 rides in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have freeriders from 7 years ago which are now toast and find the new freeriders too narrow. How do these RC shoes compare width wise to the freeriders?
    Last edited by trail-blazer; 12-25-2018 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Oh, So Interesting!
    I have 2 pair of Freerider Pro, you do need to look for them well in advance if you have a common size foot as they seem to sell out very quickly. I'm 11.5 and found one pair at full retail about 6 months ago, and only because Google said they were sold out but the store actually had one more pair in stock.

So I'm all for an alternative, but in the past I've tried them and been disappointed. All of the alternatives have sucked and been a total waste of money. The Freerider Pros are amazing imo... they do hold water but far less vs the original models, especially the original impacts which took days to dry.

As far as stink, I hose mine out a few times a season and amazing amounts of dirt come out... So I'd try more frequent cleaning, but another trick is to leave them outside in the winter so they freeze, or even put them in your freezer overnight. The freeze will kill the stink-causing microbes.

In any case, a shoe a lot like the Freerider Pros in high top would be my ideal.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I have 2 pair of Freerider Pro, you do need to look for them well in advance if you have a common size foot as they seem to sell out very quickly. I'm 11.5 and found one pair at full retail about 6 months ago, and only because Google said they were sold out but the store actually had one more pair in stock.

So I'm all for an alternative, but in the past I've tried them and been disappointed. All of the alternatives have sucked and been a total waste of money. The Freerider Pros are amazing imo... they do hold water but far less vs the original models, especially the original impacts which took days to dry.

As far as stink, I hose mine out a few times a season and amazing amounts of dirt come out... So I'd try more frequent cleaning, but another trick is to leave them outside in the winter so they freeze, or even put them in your freezer overnight. The freeze will kill the stink-causing microbes.

In any case, a shoe a lot like the Freerider Pros in high top would be my ideal.
    As I mentioned above, I just picked up a pair of the black and red FR Pros in size 12 from my LBS who ordered them from somewhere. A 25% team discount was a nice touch. More importantly however, they told me they have access to more pairs of size 12 in the navy, yellow and white, or the black and red, if I want them. Weird. So I have to assume they are out there still.

Oh, So Interesting!
    As I mentioned above, I just picked up a pair of the black and red FR Pros in size 12 from my LBS who ordered them from somewhere. A 25% team discount was a nice touch. More importantly however, they told me they have access to more pairs of size 12 in the navy, yellow and white, or the black and red, if I want them. Weird. So I have to assume they are out there still.
    It seems like they are made once every couple months and sell out before they get restocked. I'd expect this time of year to have fewer issues with availability. But the point is they can be sold out and they are hard to get for less than full retail. $150 is fair I guess, but I don't mind paying less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You guys see the Flow series that is coming in Spring?
    I have my eye on the Powerlines in red.

https://rideconcepts.com/collections/mens-flow-series

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Got the shoes

Initial review

Pics of the Wildcats
    So would you say they cater more towards a narrow foot for the most comfort?

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    It seems like they are made once every couple months and sell out before they get restocked.
    This last interbike at N*, 5.10 rep Adrienne Schnieder indicated January 2019 is when everything would be restocked... Really hope that hold true!

Sweat Buster Helmet padding, Why suffer with sweat in your face & glasses? traxfactory.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    RC told me via message that the flow series will be available around spring time, about same time as sea otter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They aren't as sticky as the five tens, but I only notice it while hiking on slippery wet rocks. Never had an issue on the pedals and I have worn them for a bunch of wet muddy rides now.

Overall I like them a lot. No idea on long term durability. The normal freeriders are pretty bad so it's not a high bar they are up against.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    They aren't as sticky as the five tens, but I only notice it while hiking on slippery wet rocks. Never had an issue on the pedals and I have worn them for a bunch of wet muddy rides now.

Overall I like them a lot. No idea on long term durability. The normal freeriders are pretty bad so it's not a high bar they are up against.
    Im in the same boat as your cassieno-

I do like the stiffness of the soles, this makes for easier pedaling for me

As for the stickiness- they are not 510 level, although you do have to lift and move your foot on the pedal if you want to adjust your foot position

On the few rides I've been on, I have yet to slip a pedal

high pivot witchcraft

mtbr member
    May 2013
    RC and 5ten's use the same sizing but RC wont have half sizes till this spring. If you are a half size and want to try RC I would size up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Would like to see these compared to the new UP shoes

nmh
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was one of the winners in the MTBR Ride Concept winners. I was sent the Wildcats by mistake, as that was not my chosen shoe. I wear a size 11, and my past shoes have been the 510 Karver, Impacts, Sam Hill Impacts and the Impact xvi. The wildcats were narrower than the 510's, the quality seemed great, and would have kept them if not too tight. I sent em back, and received the Hellion's which were my choice. They have a wider cut, almost like the 510's, and the length in both Hellion and Wildcats are perfect. The quality of both are great and seem like very well made shoes. I only have had one ride in the Hellion's below 30 degrees F. They seem like they will be very durable. Not as much grip as the Xvi's, but also I was in colder weather. If you have a wider foot go with the Hellion's or a narrower foot go with the wildcat or livewire. Either way, a serious 510 competitor, and would not hesitate to purchase a pair once my Impact xvi's shrink a little more and get too tight. That has been my only problem with all 510's, with enough stream crossings, etc. they shrink.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's it, I'm out.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    got a pair of hellions for xmas, currently on 2fo(which I think are excellent shoes). Looking forward to trying the hellions on the bike. Materials, craftsmanship, and looks are spot on! I think RC is definitely going to give 510 a run for their money, and I think it's good that there is another company making nice flat shoes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Waiting on some more reviews of the hellions and waiting for release of the PowerLine series.

mtbr member
    I posted some initial thoughts about a pair of RC Hellions I got over in this thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prot...e-1098975.html

Post #27

Tl_Dr
    - well made
    - look nice
    - narrower than 5.10 Freeriders
    - low profile/volume like 5.10 Freeriders
    - stiffer than 5.10 Freeriders
    - I haven't MTB'd with 'em yet
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Post #27

Tl_Dr
    - well made
    - look nice
    - I haven't MTB'd with 'em yet[/QUOTE]

My thoughts to a ďTĒ. But I want to clarify they are even stiffer than Freerider Pros out of the box. So much so that I thought how in the world do people wear these things? After getting home from work I wore them around the house for a few hours. They were softening up and conforming to my foot even after just the first 30 minutes or so. After a couple hours they were actually pretty comfy. They seem ever so slightly burlier than Freerider Pros but definitely very similar protection. Maybe a little lower around the ankle which Iím not sure I am happy about. The insole is much better than the Freeride Pros. Sadly we have had so much rain Iím not sure when Iím going to be able to properly ride them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic29 View Post
    Maybe a little lower around the ankle which Iím not sure I am happy about.
    If I could snap my fingers and change one thing about them I'd make them higher so my foot felt more secure in them. They sort of feel like they are only 3/4 on and the stiffness when walk exacerbates that feeling.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Livewire fits a little deeper in the heel. The Powerline that comes out this summer even more so with the asymmetrical mid top.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone know if these are sold in Whistler anywhere? Would give a chance to try them on when I go in June.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Post #27

Tl_Dr
    - well made
    - look nice
    - I haven't MTB'd with 'em yet
    My thoughts to a ďTĒ. But I want to clarify they are even stiffer than Freerider Pros out of the box. So much so that I thought how in the world do people wear these things? After getting home from work I wore them around the house for a few hours. They were softening up and conforming to my foot even after just the first 30 minutes or so. After a couple hours they were actually pretty comfy. They seem ever so slightly burlier than Freerider Pros but definitely very similar protection. Maybe a little lower around the ankle which Iím not sure I am happy about. The insole is much better than the Freeride Pros. Sadly we have had so much rain Iím not sure when Iím going to be able to properly ride them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]Im an 8.5 so between sizes. I tried a size 8 which felt snug like a spd shoe and a 9 which was more roomy but my right foot is smaller than the left. I pedaled around a bit and found them really really stiff. Uncomfortable even. The rubber didnt seem as sticky as my 5 10 freerider xvi that i still have. I also got the new Northwave Clan. Really comfy and the Michelin rubber is really sticky, almost 5 10 like.

If i keep the Livewires do you think they will break in and get more comfortable?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If I could snap my fingers and change one thing about them I'd make them higher so my foot felt more secure in them. They sort of feel like they are only 3/4 on and the stiffness when walk exacerbates that feeling.
    I actually wore them all day at work today. 10 hours In linoleum and concrete and they were surprising. Way more comfortable than the Freerider Pros. Weíll see if the lower fit still concerns me once I get some rides on them.

mtbr member
    I actually wore them all day at work today. 10 hours In linoleum and concrete and they were surprising. Way more comfortable than the Freerider Pros.
    Sounds promising. Good luck.

I plan to wear mine a bunch for casual wear and around town biking to let them break in.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    RC will be available in Canada starting next week, including Whistler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelrevolution View Post
    RC will be available in Canada starting next week, including Whistler.
    If you are in Canada you can order RC shoes from Jenson USA. Free shipping over $150.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

L1MEY
    I have approx 10 rides on my new Wildcats and I'm happy with them. I'm coming from Vans so I can't compare them to 5.10s. I bought the women's size 7 Wildcats in navy blue. They fit nicely and I'm really impressed with how well they hold my heel as I have skinny heels and often get heel lifting or slipping. I think this has to do with the mid height, velcro strap and padding... it all works very well together. Personally I found them more comfortable than 5.10 Freeriders when I tried them on in the shop. The elastic loop to hold the laces is a sensible feature which I really like.

On the bike the grip is excellent. I haven't had any issues with slipping off the pedals. For walking, the grip is ok but not great... but these aren't really meant for hiking (the Vans weren't great either). The soles are pretty stiff which means my feet are less tired after a long ride. It took a couple of rides to break them in but I've been comfortable wearing them for a 4 hour ride. They are definitely going to be hotter in the summer than my old Vans, but that also means they'll be warmer in the winter. I trudged through some snow patches in them last weekend and didn't get chilly feet, so that's a bonus for me
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in the Hellions yesterday. Feet stuck to the pedals well. The rubber is a touch harder that the stealth rubber but itís actually kind of nice. Makes repositions easier. Way way more comfortable than Freerider Pros. I think they just fit me better since I have a narrower foot and the Hellions are just slightly narrower. The toungue gussets and lace holder are nice to have as well. I think they are slightly warmer probably due to the gusset. About the only gripe I have at the moment is the low ankle. I donít think I am going to like that aspect. Weíll see about durability over the next year or so by so far my initial impressions are that this will be a better shoe than the 5.10 Freerider Pro.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Performance bike has 20% off on Ride Concepts right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Got the Wildcats in grey, previously rode 2F0 which I liked in all ways but for the sole wear; centers chinked out from pin wear in a season of use. Spent much of last year in some Shimano shoes, which wore excellent, Michelin rubber is durable, but they were a tad soft, more like slippers than enduro shoes.

The Wildcats have the burliness of a Impact mid without the weight and water absorbing padding/fabrics. The Wildcat toe box is roomy, protective, and the shoes breathe pretty well. I especially like the mid height ankle support/ protection and the velcro strap really keeps the shoes snug.

The sole is about middle of the road for stickiness, which should make them more durable down the road. Got about ten rides in the so far, very comfortable, no real break in so hopefully no real break down.

The only issue I had was a pressure point from the metal eyelit on the uppermost inside lacing hole, I popped out the eyelid and it feels great now.

Overall Iíd say these are in the top three best shoes Iíve ridden, if they end up being durable and they dry well when wet, theyíll be number be number one.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (in process)
    Fezzari Signal Peak (frame for Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    RC cola? Richy carmichael? Radio control? (LIVE TRANSMISSION), no you're not that cool... I've looked at these shoes quite a bit online and the technical features, performance, and soles look good. But how about when you offer "technical features but also look good casually walking around town" you don't stamp a hideous RC on the side in an obnoxious two tone color scheme that glows like Mountain Dew (Same goes for the other major shoe company containing '5' and '10'). I'm begging just one company to ditch the ugly branding, and early 2000's era chunky skate shoe aesthetic, so I won't look like I'm chugging RC cola outside a gas station with cheeto dust on my fingers if I'm wearing them off the bike.

I know looks aren't everything, and who cares to a certain extent, but I seriously think a company would surprisngly find a decent market for those of us who aren't enduro bros and want an actual normal looking "bike shoe." Take your grippy sole, stitch it to a neutral, slim looking upper (pick your standard mtb bike clipless XC shoe or even running shoe) in an actual pleasant looking subdued color, contain yourselves from the urge of plastering your ill-thought out branding logo with initials or numbers all over the side, and perfect - check out all the new customers you have who don't actually want to look like a douchey "mtn town bro" mountain biker! Remember, if you were actually cool with branding you would only wear Vans, and for those who gave that look up when we turned 21, how about you make a shoe that looks similar without the logos?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loren90 View Post
    I know looks aren't everything, and who cares to a certain extent, but I seriously think a company would surprisngly find a decent market for those of us who aren't enduro bros and want an actual normal looking "bike shoe."

I got the black RC Hellions. They are totally stealth and low profile. They do not look like chunky MTB shoes at all. I can't imagine what a shoe company could do to make a shoe more normal looking and still functional as a MTB shoe.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

I got the black RC Hellions. They are totally stealth and low profile. They do not look like chunky MTB shoes at all. I can't imagine what a shoe company could do to make a shoe more normal looking and still functional as a MTB shoe.
    Hm interesting didn't see the all black (other ones with black/gray/neon green look fugly)... Any chance the side logo be removed with a razorblade?

mtbr member
    Any chance the side logo be removed with a razorblade?
    No. You can't remove the logo. If that minimal a black on black logo bothers you I think you might as well give up on any MTB shoes. These are as stealth as you are going to get.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My excessive branding OCD is triggered

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-16391801.jpg

mtbr member
    My excessive branding OCD is triggered
    Cut a piece of black leather to size and Shoe Goo over the "RC" on the shoes and problem solved.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just use duct tape to cover the logo and tell people "it's a sponsorship thing".

DOOM
    I have a month on RC Hellion so far.

Hellion replaced a pair of Adidas Terrex Trail Cross SL shoes which I got nearly two seasons out of.

Terrex rubber was pretty shredded in the forefoot on both shoes which is expected at some level but a bummer nonetheless.

Got tired of applying Shoe Goo to keep the Terrex going and the uppers were starting to break down so decision time - same old same old or something new.

Hellion:

• True to size fit
    • Stiffer than my prior shoes - Adidas, Freerider VXi, Impact Low
    • Vert comfortable
    • Well made
    • Good protection for foot
    • Grip is excellent on Deity Bladerunner and Chromag Scarab pedals

The stiffness isn't a negative. It feels like pedaling is much more efficient at the cost of molding/smashing your foot in to the pedal but a trade-off I'm good with.

I have a high arch and wide feet and the Hellion fit both just fine.

All in all I'm very happy with the shoes and after a month I have some light abrasions on the rubber of the shoes (will post up a picture or two tonight when I get home).

The only odd thing, and this isn't a negative, is that the heel cup on the shoe is much shallower than the Adidas or 5.10 shoes I have tried in the past.

The feel when first walking around in the shoes as a result is sort of like it would feel to wear clogs and after a ride or two I'm used to it. Not noticeable on the bike at all.

Grip when casually pedaling isn't velcro on shoe type grip. Not sketchy just not to the point where you have to lift your foot to re-position.

When you drop the hammer and really pedal though you are definitely planted with this shoe.

The transition between the two states pedaling isn't really something you notice when riding it just happens and I haven't had any 'if I were on 5.10 X or Adidas Y this wouldn't have happened' moments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Good info, silentG. Thanks. I actually just bought a pair of the new version Terrex Trail Cross SLs. We'll see how they work. I came super close to buying some RCs, but have been riding for the last two years in Adidas and they fit me well so I decided to stick with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, the heel cup is a bit shallow as you said, and I've been told that will be addressed in the future. But the Livewire has a bit of a deeper heel cup fit.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the heel cup is a bit shallow as you said, and I've been told that will be addressed in the future.
    That's great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am still waiting for those red PowerLines

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I know. July!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    your kidding me? UGH. I heard June

DOOM
    The Adidas are great, I just wish the rubber was more durable but I guess that is part of the deal as far as grip/pedal/rubber goes.

Hellion at one month:

Name:  IMG_20190528_175333.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  125.2 KBName:  IMG_20190528_175324.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  123.3 KB

DOOM
    The color difference on the bottom shoe isn't the rubber breaking down, not sure what it is but I took a good look at it and it is a darker color but not being blasted through from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    The Adidas are great, I just wish the rubber was more durable but I guess that is part of the deal as far as grip/pedal/rubber goes.
    Yeah I think two seasons is probably most shoes' limit if you're riding a lot. Pin type and riding style (how much you twist you foot on the pedals, etc). I've gotten more out of my current Adidas, but they're getting toward the end of their life. They only lasted as long as they did due to missing a full season's riding for travel reasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have been on my Hellion's since mid-December. 2-3 rides a week (varying between and hour and 4 hours -real rides and trainer riders). They are just now starting to show pin wear.

I did end up tearing the uppers a little in a almost OTB situation that ended up with me just draped over the bars and the pedals digging into my shoe. But, it's minor and I just need to shoe goo the slight rip back down.

The reinforced toe box has saved my toes many times.

I can't compare them to too many other shoes (5.10 Impact highs, Freeriders, and some Fox shoe), but overall I like them the best. They feel very similar to the Impact's without the extra weight. When they wear out, I will be getting another pair of Ride Concepts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    With regards to the Hellions vs the PowerLines, the hellions have that built up toe box, does anyone know if the PowerLines toe box is protected like the hellions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    With regards to the Hellions vs the PowerLines, the hellions have that built up toe box, does anyone know if the PowerLines toe box is protected like the hellions?
    The Powerline toe protection is even more robust than the Hellion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The Powerline toe protection is even more robust than the Hellion.
    Yep, sold. Will be grabbing these.

Anyone know how the sizing runs compared to 510? If I wear a 12 in 510, will these be about the same? Do they run small? Larger?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by silentG View Post
    How do you feel about the forefoot width of the Adidas vs. RCs? My new Adidas Trailcross SLs arrived yesterday, and I don't think they're going to work for me. One of my feet is getting a little bit of a tailor's bunion and the Adidas are too narrow in the forefoot. I was sad as they seemed perfect otherwise and I've loved my old pair. Are the RCs wider?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Are the RCs wider?
    I found the RC Hellions narrower than 5.10 Freeriders.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I found the RC Hellions narrower than 5.10 Freeriders.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll just end up with the old standby Freeriders. I missed my chance a month or so ago to try on a great selection of flat pedal shoes and now I regret it. I just assumed since I liked my last Adidas so much, the new ones would work for me too.

mtbr member
    I just assumed since I liked my last Adidas so much, the new ones would work for me too.
    The story of my life:

1. Spend a bunch of $$ finding something that works for me.
    2. Enjoy one or two pairs.
    3. Company "improves" product.
    4. I have to start search all over again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The story of my life:

1. Spend a bunch of $$ finding something that works for me.
    2. Enjoy one or two pairs.
    3. Company "improves" product.
    4. I have to start search all over again.
    I can't blame them too much. This one seems like it's partially my own body's fault for starting to develop old person problems.

Still, the last ones feel just a bit wider (or they're just stretched a bit from years of use).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone know which store in Whistler carries them? I am here till Thursday and would love to try them on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Anyone know which store in Whistler carries them? I am here till Thursday and would love to try them on.
    Cant see it being too hard to find them, theres only a handful of stores in the village. Did you send RC a dm on IG?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    According to Jenson's website, the sticky-soled downhill focused TNT will be available a week from today. I'm eager to read reviews. I want a more all around shoe, but I'd really like some sticky rubber with more protection than my current sticky shoe offers. I'm curious to see if people think these are pedal worthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I talked to the Ride Concept folks via email. Both the Flow (enduro/all-mtn) and Launch (DH) series with the stickier DST 4 rubber will be out at the beginning of July.

I feel like this is kind of a moment of truth for RC. People seem to like the shoes a good deal, but there are definitely still the "are they as sticky as 5:10" folks to be appeased. I hope that they are.

Edit: Also I should note that the rep told me that the fit and pedaling feel between the Powerline (from the Flow series) and the TNT (from the Launch series) is basically the same. The TNT is just a bit heavier and is less breathable (and I assume a bit more protective, but that wasn't said).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Anyone know what the big difference in the TNT and PowerLines are?

Are the TNT's a bit heavier since they are more downhill focused?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anyone know what the big difference in the TNT and PowerLines are?

Are the TNT's a bit heavier since they are more downhill focused?
    I do as Ride Concepts once told me:

"We will be releasing the Flow and Launch Series, including the Powerline and TNT, the first week of July. Both shoes have a similar feel and fit while pedaling, however, the TNT is a bit heavier and also does not breath as well as the Powerline."

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I do as Ride Concepts once told me:

"We will be releasing the Flow and Launch Series, including the Powerline and TNT, the first week of July. Both shoes have a similar feel and fit while pedaling, however, the TNT is a bit heavier and also does not breath as well as the Powerline."
    Excellent, thanks!

mtbr member

FYI - As I was disappointed by the low heel cup of the RC Hellions I decided to try some North Wave Clan shoes. The Clans fit great including a deep heel cup that really secures my foot nicely. Construction quality is top notch. Rubber is not as sticky as my OG Freeriders/Impact Lows, but it's pretty good. The shoe is stiffer/more supportive than the OG Freeriders, but I had no issue feeling where I was on the pedal and getting my foot in the right place. The rubber is sticky enough that my foot has never come off my pedals [Spank Spike with 1 year old pins so not max traction anymore] when pedalling, but it's fairly easy to adjust position during seated pedalling.

If the durability is at least as good as my OG Freeriders I'll keep rocking the Clans as they check all my boxes. Although I do like the comfy soft feel of the OG Freeriders on shorter rides it's less awesome on long sustained chunky descents - particularly as the shoes age and get softer.

I did some scouting walking up and down steep rock slabs with mossy patches and the Clans were locked onto the terrain really well and comfy to walk in.

I wear size 45 5.10's and ordered size 45 Clans. Fit was great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ordered my Powerlines last week. Request is still pending.
    Anyone order from RC that can tell me how long it takes for them to ship them out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i've been running the 5.10 impact pros for awhile and im hoping the powerline and tnt shoes have a big enough toe box area for wide foot people. hopefully the heel cup is deep also.

DOOM
    My Hellions shipped in a day or so of ordering, could be a logjam of orders versus stock maybe.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Ordered Powerlines last Friday, got tracking info on this Tuesday. Says they'll be here this Friday. Stoked!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    After a few month search I just got these from Pearl izumi:
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...low/p/15191904

For reference, I grew up riding bmx with the usual skate shoes, and have avoided wanting to go for the skate shoe look of a 15 year old since (ahem 5.10...). I did have a pair of 5.10 sleuths maybe 2-3 years ago, and yes, I hate to admit it but the grip was exceptional on flat pedals. But they were slim and the heel cup was also really flimsy. So lately, I've just used a pair of trail run shoes. Was on the fence with the RC shoes but idk they still give off the skate shoe endurobro vibe.

Initial impression with these is that they actually look pretty understated..not a full skate shoe but maybe like a cross between a slim skate shoe and trail run or approach shoe. Minimal logos, lighter than I expected, and comfy out of the box. Will report back on a few rides. I got a pretty good discount on these, otherwise another criteria is not wanting to drop $100+ on shoes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    Ordered Powerlines last Friday, got tracking info on this Tuesday. Says they'll be here this Friday. Stoked!
    WTF...
    I ordered mine the day they came out, and they are delayed.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    WTF...
    You should call or email RC to get that sorted. My order showed authorized, yet unfulfilled until I got a shipping email. 10.5 Red.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    WTF...
    Samething happened to me when the wildcats came out, As Bigherm suggests, just contact Anne and she'll sort you out

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

For reference, I grew up riding bmx with the usual skate shoes, and have avoided wanting to go for the skate shoe look of a 15 year old since (ahem 5.10...). I did have a pair of 5.10 sleuths maybe 2-3 years ago, and yes, I hate to admit it but the grip was exceptional on flat pedals. But they were slim and the heel cup was also really flimsy. So lately, I've just used a pair of trail run shoes. Was on the fence with the RC shoes but idk they still give off the skate shoe endurobro vibe.

Initial impression with these is that they actually look pretty understated..not a full skate shoe but maybe like a cross between a slim skate shoe and trail run or approach shoe. Minimal logos, lighter than I expected, and comfy out of the box. Will report back on a few rides. I got a pretty good discount on these, otherwise another criteria is not wanting to drop $100+ on shoes.
    I like those !

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My PowerLines showed up today.
    Initial impressions...
    the soles are really sticky walking around on my tile floor.
    They are a lot more comfortable than my 510 freerider contacts.

How do they ride?
    Since I tore my ACL last week, I will not be riding till November or December. So I will check back in then
    I had ordered these right before my accident.

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-20190723_171612.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think my Hellion's are starting to wear out. The uppers and soles are fine, but they are starting to feel a lot less stiff than they used to be. Just getting a flexier sole. Not nearly as bad as the normal Freeriders, but not nearly as stiff as they used to be.

Still completely usuable and fine though.

I have had them since December 2018 2-3 rides a week, minimum of 10 miles a ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Heal up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The red Powerlines are looking awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocking_Crail View Post
    The red Powerlines are looking awesome!
    They are really comfortable also.
    Can't wait to try them out in a few months

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Initial impressions...

How do they ride?
    Since I tore my ACL last week, I will not be riding till November or December. So I will check back in then

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190723_171612.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	1266619
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I think my Hellion's are starting to wear out. The uppers and soles are fine, but they are starting to feel a lot less stiff than they used to be. Just getting a flexier sole. Not nearly as bad as the normal Freeriders, but not nearly as stiff as they used to be.

Still completely usuable and fine though.

I have had them since December 2018 2-3 rides a week, minimum of 10 miles a ride.
    This might have been discussed before, but I missed it: How is the forefoot width in comparison to the 5:10s?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    A tiny bit narrower. I was able to go up and down the street today as that as all I can do right now with the injury. The powerlines are not as sticky as my contacts, but I don't think you will find any other shoe, or any other 510 for that matter stickier than the 510 contacts just die to the fact you are dealing with flat rubber as opposed to tread.
    Anyways, will give them a full test after surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    A tiny bit narrower. I was able to go up and down the street today as that as all I can do right now with the injury. The powerlines are not as sticky as my contacts, but I don't think you will find any other shoe, or any other 510 for that matter stickier than the 510 contacts just die to the fact you are dealing with flat rubber as opposed to tread.
    Anyways, will give them a full test after surgery.
    Thanks for the info. Hope you heel up soon!

Edit: HEAL up! Heels down.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    4 days so far on the Powerlines. Some XC, some DH, lot of coaching, and a DH race.

I initially tried them with my old DB4L pedals with worn pins and I was slipping. Swapped to Crampon Mountain pedals in the afternoon and I was slipping less.

My thoughts after 4 days are overall positive. They are less sticky than my thrashed Freerider Pros with holes through the rubber. I am OK with that since I can reposition my feet easier and still do rear wheel lifts and redirects in the air.

As for sizing, I am happy with them. I wear a 10.5 Adidas Busenitz, old 5.10 Freerider and 1st year Freerider Pro. 10.5 Powerlines are tight on the pinky toe when walking but perfect on the bike. If I was planning on walking in them a lot I might size up, but for a performance sports shoe they are dialed.

I have already taken a shot to the ankle and was so happy to have the added protection. I haven't noticed the insole which means it is working fine. I have a medium arch and typically only wear aftermarket footbeds in snowboard boots.

The gussets are also phenomenal. I have never had one with such good coverage. Our trails are very dusty with micro pebbles that easily find their way into your shoes. I have had noticeably less dust and pebble intrusions at the end of the day.

After 4 days the soles still look pristine. I am pretty consistent with foot placement so I should be wearing some holes into them soon. I'll update in a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post
    4 days so far on the Powerlines. Some XC, some DH, lot of coaching, and a DH race.

I initially tried them with my old DB4L pedals with worn pins and I was slipping. Swapped to Crampon Mountain pedals in the afternoon and I was slipping less.

My thoughts after 4 days are overall positive. They are less sticky than my thrashed Freerider Pros with holes through the rubber. I am OK with that since I can reposition my feet easier and still do rear wheel lifts and redirects in the air.

As for sizing, I am happy with them. I wear a 10.5 Adidas Busenitz, old 5.10 Freerider and 1st year Freerider Pro. 10.5 Powerlines are tight on the pinky toe when walking but perfect on the bike. If I was planning on walking in them a lot I might size up, but for a performance sports shoe they are dialed.

I have already taken a shot to the ankle and was so happy to have the added protection. I haven't noticed the insole which means it is working fine. I have a medium arch and typically only wear aftermarket footbeds in snowboard boots.

The gussets are also phenomenal. I have never had one with such good coverage. Our trails are very dusty with micro pebbles that easily find their way into your shoes. I have had noticeably less dust and pebble intrusions at the end of the day.

After 4 days the soles still look pristine. I am pretty consistent with foot placement so I should be wearing some holes into them soon. I'll update in a week.
    how's the heel cup? i find my heel usually comes out of impact pros, unless i really cinch them down.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    My heels feel locked in. I ran the regular laces for the first day or so then swapped to Lock Laces. They aren't any tighter than normal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    My first go (and only) with flat pedal shoes was with 510 impact low shoes. Didnít make it twenty minutes in the house. Ordered exact size (7.5) and my heels slipped, while my outside toes were going numb. I only need a regular fit, not wide.

Iím looking for a normal fit, I guess. When I recover from knee surgery this will be the first time I ride a dedicated flat pedal shoe. Iíve ridden spdís for about twenty years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BujiBiker View Post
    My first go (and only) with flat pedal shoes was with 510 impact low shoes. Didnít make it twenty minutes in the house. Ordered exact size (7.5) and my heels slipped, while my outside toes were going numb. I only need a regular fit, not wide.

Iím looking for a normal fit, I guess. When I recover from knee surgery this will be the first time I ride a dedicated flat pedal shoe. Iíve ridden spdís for about twenty years.
    The RC's I have are definitely narrower than the 5.10's they replaced. It took a full two weeks, probably 8 rides, 20 hours, before they stretched enough in the middle that they didn't cause pain. I could tell the shoe was going to be worth it if I could get them stretched so I stuck with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hmm, sounds like I'll probably need to stick with 5:10s for now. I'd like to try some RCs at some point, but my increasingly old person feet (or foot really...) are increasingly intolerant of narrow toeboxes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It's a bummer on the width. I'm riding Impact Pros and like them, but would be open to trying something new when they wear out. I exchanged emails with Ride Concepts and they said they based their last width on typical Nike lasts. That was a big NOPE to me, as every Nike I've ever tried on has been very narrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hmm, sounds like I'll probably need to stick with 5:10s for now. I'd like to try some RCs at some point, but my increasingly old person feet (or foot really...) are increasingly intolerant of narrow toeboxes.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Toebox was fine for me, it was just the middle section, heel and toe fit great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The new premium line (TNT included) are slightly wider and roomier especially in the toe box area than the session series shoes. Worth a shot, especially the TNT. It's lighter than the Impact pro, much more protective and there's the velcro strap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Initial impressions...

How do they ride?

Toebox was fine for me, it was just the middle section, heel and toe fit great.

Ah ok. My foot isn't that wide until you hit the sixth toe area. Some shoes start widening there, others, less so. When my 5:10s wear out, I'll look at giving the TNT series a try. I couldn't quite wait for their release though and bought a pair of old-style Freerider EPSs though, so there will be some time for reviews before I need my next pair.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The new premium line (TNT included) are slightly wider and roomier especially in the toe box area than the session series shoes. Worth a shot, especially the TNT. It's lighter than the Impact pro, much more protective and there's the velcro strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    It's a bummer on the width. I'm riding Impact Pros and like them, but would be open to trying something new when they wear out. I exchanged emails with Ride Concepts and they said they based their last width on typical Nike lasts. That was a big NOPE to me, as every Nike I've ever tried on has been very narrow.
    i heard the same, RC told me the "Modern lifestyle Performance Fit" is a more narrow fit and the "Tech Fit" is wider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Anything to keep the the ball of the foot/toes from going numb before I even ride. I rode 23 miles with 20 dollar "fila running " shoes from Costco on deity compís. First time I rode "normal pedals" in two decades.

I donít have wide feet. Just need normal width/stiff/sticky shoes. Wasnít impressed with the circulation killing 510ís.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Toe cap started to separate on the first ride, so I returned them for a refund. Too bad as they were probably the most normal looking 'bike shoes' I've seen. Quality seemed so-so anyways (not great support, foot felt weirdly loose in the shoe - despite me having wide feet), toe box was an oddish shape which I think contributed to the toe cap rubbing on the crank and separating. Oh well, on to the next shoe!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, my RC Wildcats have faired well over the past couple months of use, BUT, they make my arch hurt. Over time I started having pain in my arch, at first I thought it was a chronic use injury, then I swapped back to my Shimano GR9 shoes and the pain resolved entirely overnight.

I have a couple theories as to the cause: The midsole is thick and as the shoe has softened the midsole is pushing into my arch OR a combination of the thick soft midsole and using the velcro strap to secure my foot into the shoe.

I don't ride with the shoe overly tight, run loose laces and allow the velcro strap to keep my heel in the heel pocket. I did try riding with the shoe looser and my foot was still sore, so I think it has to do with the thick midsole and the gradually softening up of the shoe.

They are nice shoes, dry well, uppers and sole have been durable, but they have softened up quite a bit and I think this is the problem.

If anyone wants to get a sz 48 on the cheap, let me know...

In the meantime I'm going back to the Specialized 2F0, but upgrading to the 2.0. I ran two pairs of the original 2F0 and they were good shoes, kinda clunky, and the sole wear was not great, but they worked for a full season on each pair. The 2.0 seems to have an improved fit, more hydrophobic, nice scree collar, and hopefully better sole wear. I scored a pair of the 2019 for $125, which is a fair deal considering the 2020 is retailing for $200!!!!!
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I have had Five Ten Impacts for the last 15 years. I have not gotten along with the latest Adidas runs Five Tens, as they make my feet numb. I tried the bontrager flatline shoes, and they solved my numbness issue, but my feet pop off the pedals with regularity, especially now tht the shoe is worn. I had two notable incidents with this, the most recent this morning. Ended up taking a pedal down the calf, something i have not done since i was a kid...

I just ordered the Powerline, and am hoping they are the 2015 Five Tens that i enjoyed so much... fingers crossed!
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I have had Five Ten Impacts for the last 15 years. I have not gotten along with the latest Adidas runs Five Tens, as they make my feet numb. I tried the bontrager flatline shoes, and they solved my numbness issue, but my feet pop off the pedals with regularity, especially now tht the shoe is worn. I had two notable incidents with this, the most recent this morning. Ended up taking a pedal down the calf, something i have not done since i was a kid...

I just ordered the Powerline, and am hoping they are the 2015 Five Tens that i enjoyed so much... fingers crossed!
    I can say that local anecdotes are showing the RCs to be not quite as sticky as old Five Tens, more than sticky enough though, but just as durable, way more than new Five Tens. So I would call it a good mix.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I can say that local anecdotes are showing the RCs to be not quite as sticky as old Five Tens, more than sticky enough though, but just as durable, way more than new Five Tens. So I would call it a good mix.
    i tried to hang it out with the Fivetens. I bought 4 pairs of shoes, high, low up one size and down a size, all of them made my feet numb. I have my pair from 2015, which or very worn, and they don't bother my feet. I save them for my aggressive days.

i have been riding the Bontragers for the last 3 months, and smashed my toes a few times and have had grip issues when riding aggressively.

I am hoping the RC Powerlines solve the above issues. I will report back with my finidngs.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Here's my mid-term update (8 months of riding)

Still love them and would buy again.

After multiple Pedal days, shuttle and quite a few at Whistler & across Local Vancouver mountains, I'm pleasantly surprised at how well these Wildcats have held up from Rain and dusty summer conditions

What are the things that I like?

Fit: for me I have narrow feet so these really fit the bill for me. Also, the mid arch is great for my flat feet and the heel cup really holds in my heel I'm a size ten in nike/addidas/vans

Stiffness: the soles of these are still stiff, good for me for that extra purchase when pedaling or leaning/pumping in and out of corners

Protection: As you can see buy the pics below, I've taken numerous hits to the toe, with no harm to my little piggies

Stickiness: Again, as others have mentioned, not as sticky as 5-10, but for me thats not an issue. You still have to do your lift and re-position

Hike-a-bike: There are some locations that I ride that require me to hike, in this situation, I take these over my 5-10s

What are the things that I dont like?

Honestly there are not any and I know that may come across as hard to believe, but for me there are none. Could the soles be grippier? sure, but RC has other shoes for that.

YMMV

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb17648760.jpg

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb17648758.jpg

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb17648756.jpg

Ride Concept shoes - You in or out?-p5pb17648754.jpg

mtbr member
    About 6 months in and Iíve been really digging my livewires (after an initial break-in period). Like others have said, not as grippy as fivetens, but it hasnít been a problem for me out on the trails. The stiff sole is great, especially when on a singlespeed doing lots of mashing. The protection in the toe box has been put to use several times, and has saved me from several ďouchesĒ and possibly a fracture.

I just ordered a pair of powerlines to see how the grippier rubber feels and to take advantage of the free Coaster slippers they are offering right now. At first glance, I thought that these slippers were a ridiculous product. But then realized that when Iím doing maintenance on my bikes, Iím usually wearing flip flops or crocks. After the maintenance Iíll hop on the bike and pedal/jump around a bit to make sure everything is kosher. The bottoms of my flip flops and crocks are torn to $hit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So RC took back my used Wildcats for a credit, a very nice gesture for sure.

I went to a shop in Truckee and tried on every shoe RC makes. I considered the TNT but it was really soft through the midsole and the volume was plentiful. Nice all day park shoe for younger feet, but I need more support. Settled on a pair of Hellions.

The Hellion fit is slightly different from the Wildcats, a little more volume throughout, though still a relatively narrow shoe. The Hellion certainly feels like it has a stiffer midsole and outsole, two weeks of riding and hike a bike with no appreciable softening ... my insteps don't hurt

The Hellion is a little burlier and stickier than the Wildcat though they similar. RC calls the Wildcat a the burlier version of the Liverwire, so I guess the Hellion is it's own shoe??

So other than missing my beloved instep strap and a little less ankle protection, the Hellions are looking like a good choice.

I'll follow up again next year after I've flogged them for a season.

Hats off to RC for taking care of me, for sure I'll keep buying their shoes as long as I can find one that fits.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thats awesome they took back your used wildcats.

i have fairly wide feet and normally use size 10 fiveten impact pros. i tried a size 10 livewire and they felt way too snug.

im going to try the powerline and/or tnt since they are supposed to have a wider toe box.

too bad the powerline doesn't have a strap, i like the tnt just because it has a strap.

im glad they are doing 1/2 sizes now.

mtbr member
    I have been using the traverse clipless shoe for awhile now, here's my thoughts;

Good;

-cleat position seems to be a little further 'in' than my old shimanos which I like, I think you can get them further back too but I haven't measured up just going by feel.

-They fit me well but obviously YMMV. They seemed really tight at first but now not so much. I have barrow feet like 94mm last

-they haven't shown any signs of wear at all yet, seem durable

-I like the little stretchy loop to tuck the laces into, never had that before

The bad;

Very warm

Seem harder to clip in than my shimanos, could be due to the shape of the cleat 'pocket' not having the 'ramps' the way the shimanos did, or I'm still just getting used to them I dunno.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I got a good days riding in on the PowerLines finally.
    Fantastic shoe, very happy.
    Again, not as grippy as my 510 contacts, but due to the smoothness of the contacts, I dont think anything will ever grip like those.

I am very happy and would order again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    my size 10 powerline's just got delivered. just as i took the shoes out of the box, i could tell the width was too narrow. without socks and doing the laces, the shoes feel snug. they feel decent if i didn't wear socks. im not sure how much the shoes will stretch but i hope they do.

construction wise, they look good and pretty solid. grip wise felt great on hardwood floor, lol. the sole isn't as stiff as my impact pros. heel cup felt great, a deeper more locked in feel for the heel than my impact pros.

shoes weighed 439-440g each, close to the freeriders.

in comparing against my fiveten impacts and freeriders, it looks like rc nailed the length as they are exactly the same length, but the width difference is dramatic.

i tried and returned the livewires because they were way too narrow despite being the narrow "fit" according to rc.

considering the powerline and tnt are rc's wider Tech Fit, i really expected more.

super bummed. if anyone wants pictures let me know. i'll take some later this evening

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Update to my Powerline review.

After about 10 days or so the shoes no longer were too narrow on my pinky toes. I even had to shorten my LockLace laces by around an inch or so due to the expansion.

The soles and my pedals have become friends. There are several holes and now my feet don't slip at all. No delamming or holes through the sole.

Everything is holding up well and I am still very pleased. There is a little gash on the upper from an impact but it is only through the red outer layer. My arches have felt great on long descents as well as climbs. Would buy again 10/10.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Heads up on fit:

The Powerlines fit narrow mid foot and toe box, even the Wildcats are kinda narrow through the mid foot, but the Hellions have a much more ample fit throughout. The roomiest RC shoe is the TNT.

I fit well in most of the Five Ten, Specialized, Shimano shoes, but the Wildcats were really narrow at the mid foot and never stretched, the Powerlines flat out fit too narrow, but the Hellions fit perfect.

For all day riding, the Hellions are very nice, fit is so good I don't miss the instep strap (I do miss the ankle protection).

I ride lots of chundery ugly rock, well over a hundred miles of hard riding so far, and they look great, no break down, fit is the same as when new.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Heads up on fit:

The Powerlines fit narrow mid foot and toe box, even the Wildcats are kinda narrow through the mid foot, but the Hellions have a much more ample fit throughout. The roomiest RC shoe is the TNT.

I fit well in most of the Five Ten, Specialized, Shimano shoes, but the Wildcats were really narrow at the mid foot and never stretched, the Powerlines flat out fit too narrow, but the Hellions fit perfect.
    That's interesting because I found the Hellions to fit noticeably narrower than my 5.10 Freeriders.

How do you find the heel cup? It seems awfully shallow to me compared to any 5.10 MTB shoe I have owned.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com