Rib and upper body protective armor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Rib and upper body protective armor

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, just point me to the right thread.

I'm interested in any experience with or recommendations for protective garb that might help me avoid rib injury. Background: 55 year old rider, I broke my back four years ago in a rafting accident, and they removed on rib from my left side. Now I find that infrequently I might take a particularly nasty fall on my left side (always seem to fall left) and I aggravate or fracture a rib. This area has proved weak before, I think I've injured it this way 3 or 4 times since that time, most recently on the third day of Kokopelli. It's nothing particularly crazy that I'm doing, if I just land wrong, I hit that spot.

I'd like to consider upper body armor of some type that might help protect this part of my body. Some of the kokopelli riders recommended that I look at motocross shops.

I found this this item for example which makes me look like Batman! But I like the mesh and the protection areas.

Any other thoughts or advice appreciated.

Fox Titan Sport Jacket Upper Body Armor | XSportsProtective

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    - 2014 Turner DHR
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    After falling elbow to ribs several times, and incurring enough bruising to make sneezing or coughing unbearable for a few weeks, I did some research and finally settled on the TLD 7850 soft shell armor. Since incorporating it into my routine, I can't recall anymore rib injuries. The downsides are that it's damn near impossible to remove when worn on bare skin, and thus, requires an undershirt. The combo obviously gets much warmer than going without. It's priced much less than most options anf I find it otherwise to be extremely comfortable. I have seen soft shell options from both dainese and leatt that looked especially intriguing bot cost over double the TLD. I'd be interested in trying the dainese if I had the money. It incorporates a D30 type foam, and has a concealed zipper to make it easier to remove.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    After breaking my clavicle on a modest fall with full body suit, I came to realize most Mtb pads are good for abrasions but do very little to protect from breakage because they are too thin to absorb sufficient energy. The crumple zone on the front of a car is 25-30% of the width of the car, and 2x the width of your body itself. Mtb velocities are lower than driving velocities, but still, you get the idea.

The best thing that pads in the rib area might be able to do would be to spread out the impact, if you landed on an object with a small surface area like a root.

But beyond that, comparing impacts to flat ground with and without pads, I'm gonna say it'll do almost nothing in terms of impact dissipation.

Full moto-x pads might be much thicker but you really need thickness and mass to provide energy absorption. It's a tough tradeoff because they'd have to be very bulky for typical riding, even if shuttle or lift served.