REVIEW - Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

REVIEW - Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet

So I've had this Troy Lee Design A1 Helmet now for over 5 months. Right out of the box the first thing I noticed was how lightweight this helmet is. I've had helmets from other companies and none of them were anywhere near as lightweight as the A1. And neither had sufficient airflow like this TLD A1 does. The fully encapsulated reinforced polycarbonate helmet utilizes maximum coverage where other helmets leave more areas exposed.

On the front of the helmet is eight pressurized intake passages that allow for an amble amount of airflow. On the back of the helmet is eight passages to keep the airflow moving. The retention system is very nice and makes adjusting this helmet to a perfect fit for your riding style easy. The padding inside the helmet is plush and provides a very comfortable feel while on the head. If you do break a sweat while wearing this helmet you can remove the inner liner since it's washable.

Another thing I like about the TLD A1 Helmet is the front adjustable visor. Another helmet I tried had one of these and it broke the first time I dropped my helmet. The visor on this A1 helmet is very durable and hasn't broken over the countless times of dropping and crashing.

All in all I am very pleased with this helmet. Whether you are in the market for a mountain bike helmet or a road bike helmet I'd consider this A1 for either application. It fits and feels great on the head, has an amble amount of airflow in and out and it's very durable without sacrificing weight.

The Troy Lee Design A1 Helmet is offered in three different sizes and a few different color choices. Definitely give one a try.

Be sure to check out my Website, Facebook and Instagram for other reviews, giveaways and raffles. If you have any questions about the shorts don't hesitate to ask.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love mine. Very comfortable. I live in Texas and used it in the heat and stayed cool. I love the shape. Adjuster works great, easy to use. A really great looking and comfortable helmet.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: REVIEW - Troy Lee Designs A1 Helmet

Agreed with everything. But, I'll add that the helmet is only 'satisfactory' with goggles. Goggles on is fine. But with goggles retracted up under the vision , they hang too low in the field of vision and don't feel comfortable.

P. S. Check your website and Facebook? For raffles? Questions about shorts? What the h3ll are you talking about? What website? Does everyone on mtbr have you on their Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by BR101 View Post

Be sure to check out my Website, Facebook and Instagram for other reviews, giveaways and raffles. If you have any questions about the shorts don't hesitate to ask.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Also have this A1 Drone edition for 5 months. Agreed almost with everything, except couple of things:

1. The helmet is not very comfortable for attaching stuff, like lights or POV cameras.
    2. Not too ventilated - I'm riding in hot conditions, the ventilation is OK, but less than in lighter XC lids. But this is something you can live with, it offers much serious protection.
    3. Not very comfortable with glasses. Most of the prescription glasses and sun glasses with curving ends will be pressed against the skull at the ends. Also not a hard issue, but sometimes it irritates.
    4. Sweat line is OK, not excellent. Most of the sweat goes sides, but a substantial amount still can reach the eye area.
    5. For those with long hair, the retention system is not too comfortable. But I guess it's true for most retention systems and long haired.
    6. Pads are OK quality, those on Bell Super were of much better quality.

Upon all these, the helmet still is very comfortable, protective and looks very cool. I like it more, than the Bell Super I had before.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    How do you guys find the sizing to be? Is it pretty accurate or does it run large/small?

I'm right in between the Small and Medium which use 2 different shell sizes, should I go up or down? Sorry, don't have any dealers in my area to try them on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am like you, 7 1/8 between small and medium. I bought medium/large. Fits great with room for cooling. Right in the middle of the band adjustment. Buy it. It is a great helmet.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks, I'm wondering if there is a huge difference in she'll size between the 2. I like as low profile as possible. I'm looking at the A1, 661 recon, and fly freestone. A1 is the front runner right now.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by Abagrizzli View Post
    Also have this A1 Drone edition for 5 months. Agreed almost with everything, except couple of things:

1. The helmet is not very comfortable for attaching stuff, like lights or POV cameras.
    Now that it's fall and I'm night-riding regularly, I'm realizing this is correct. Not a convenient helmet to attach a helmet-light to.

Quote Originally Posted by Abagrizzli View Post
    3. Not very comfortable with glasses. Most of the prescription glasses and sun glasses with curving ends will be pressed against the skull at the ends. Also not a hard issue, but sometimes it irritates.
    This was not an issue I ever noticed for the first several months of use, and I wear jawbones ever ride. But for some reason I've started noticing lately that the glasses and helmet aren't playing nicely together.

I still like the helmet, just giving some more info.