Resilient flat shoes?- Mtbr.com
    High Desert MTBer

Resilient flat shoes?

I ride rocks and chunk in Arizona, and mostly use flats and platforms. I have been using Five Tens for the grippy soles, but have found them to wear out quickly. Last pair were Savants as I figured they were made more for rock scrambling and would be more durable, but after less than 6 months the sides have worn thru around my little toe areas on both shoes. I tend to rub against the rocks a lot I guess! I also have found the nose of the shoes comes adrift quickly.
    Does anyone have experience with good, grippy, lightweight, breathable and durable shoes for this kind of terrain, or am I asking too much?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I'm on my second pair of 5.10 Freeriders. 5.10 sells a replacement sole for these shoes. Give 5.10s bike specific shoes a chance as they are designed with riding in mind.

mtbr member
    Impacts and Karvers have a hard rubber bumper that wraps around the ends of your toes and are made of leather, which is more durable than mesh but also hotter. The Sam Hills have considerably less padding and more ventilation. They also have the toe guard.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I ride rocks and chunk in Arizona, and mostly use flats and platforms. I have been using Five Tens for the grippy soles, but have found them to wear out quickly. Last pair were Savants as I figured they were made more for rock scrambling and would be more durable, but after less than 6 months the sides have worn thru around my little toe areas on both shoes. I tend to rub against the rocks a lot I guess! I also have found the nose of the shoes comes adrift quickly.
    Does anyone have experience with good, grippy, lightweight, breathable and durable shoes for this kind of terrain, or am I asking too much?
    Shoe Goo or Freesole is your friend. Reinforce/repair the wear areas.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What shiggy said.

At a point, no material will stand up to rock–esp the rough granite crystals so prevalent in AZ.

In other sports where rock wear is known to destroy gear, SOP is to preemptively coat wear points with Shoe Goo, SeamGrip, or Plasti-Dip tool handle coating. Coleman liquid stove fuel works as a thinner for SeamGrip (not sure if it works for the others I mentioned), which can make it easier to "paint on" with a brush.

The results can look pretty ghastly on your cool-looking shoes, but it extends shoe (and gear) life immensely.

High Desert MTBer
    The Shoe Goo or Plasti Dip look like they could do the trick. I will give one of them a try and report back! The soles are lasting longer than the uppers. On my last pair of 5/10s, the soles took a year to wear thru on the pedal contact areas.
    It's all Here. Now.

Members who have read this thread: 0