REI Vaporush Windstopper or Eddie Bauer Sandstone Shield Jacket??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. REI Vaporush Windstopper or Eddie Bauer Sandstone Shield Jacket??

Have been researching shell jackets for Winter riding. I have been looking for something that stops the wind and would be good for layering. I have settled on either a REI Vaporush Windstopper or the Eddie Bauer Sandstone Shield Hooded Jacket. Both are around $100. I currently am leaning toward the EB jacket, but hoping to get some input the forum. Thanks!!

Men's Sandstone Shield Hooded Jacket | Eddie Bauer

https://www.rei.com/product/125350/r...er-jacket-mens
    Regards,
    SnyperX

===========================
    Current Ride(s): 2019 Trek X-caliber 8, 2019 Trek Farley 5

Nobody
    I've nothing but good experiences with REI branded gear, but my suggestions would be to choose a jacket that has the most potential vent openings. No waterproof garment is going to be good at expelling moisture from inside the jacket and if your going to be riding at a brisk pace or climbing, you will need the ability to vent the moisture your body will produce.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member since 1996
    I got the Vaporush when it was another 25% off last week. I have not worn it on a ride yet, so caveat emptor. It is very comfortable and slim fitting. Not tight or small, just tailored to an athletic body. The material is soft agains the skin (not that I wear it without a shirt) and flexes easily. Its not stiff and noisy like most wind/water resistant materials. Breathability is important, but it does have a zipper so you can of course unzip to let out the moisture.

It is definitely a shell, not much insulation on this one. Just the softer inner material. The EB is 8.5oz material which may be heavier than this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'd go with the REI Vaporush personally. It's hard to beat their warranty, and "bring it back if you don't like it" motto. Plus... everything I have from them has been great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I'd go with the REI Vaporush personally. It's hard to beat their warranty, and "bring it back if you don't like it" motto. Plus... everything I have from them has been great.
    Yeah, I am leaning that way currently. I just need to make sure whatever I get can fit over a baselayer and mid layers (1/4 zip fleece etc). I did pick up a Patagonia Houdini, but will be taking that back. While it is CRAZY light, its like wearing a tent. Zero insulating factor.
    Regards,
    SnyperX

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the Eddie Bauer jacket. They are one of the few place that offer tall sizes, which is nice for someone tall and thin like myself.

The jacket is a thin softshell material. No built in fleece lining or anything. The fit is loose enough to allow layering beneath it. The hood is designed to be able to wear a helmet, but I have not tried a bike helmet. The REI jacket doesn't specifically say whether it supports a helmet.

There are no pit zips or anything. But there are parts of the jacket such as the arm pits that are made of a thinner more flexible material that will breathe better.

For biking I would potentially look at a tall size for increased sleeve and torso length.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I got the Vaporush when it was another 25% off last week. I have not worn it on a ride yet, so caveat emptor. It is very comfortable and slim fitting. Not tight or small, just tailored to an athletic body. The material is soft agains the skin (not that I wear it without a shirt) and flexes easily. Its not stiff and noisy like most wind/water resistant materials. Breathability is important, but it does have a zipper so you can of course unzip to let out the moisture.

It is definitely a shell, not much insulation on this one. Just the softer inner material. The EB is 8.5oz material which may be heavier than this.
    As far as fit, would I be able to layer with say a down vest or base layer with 1/4 zip fleece? Is there enough room for layering? That's the biggest feature I am on the hunt for.
    Regards,
    SnyperX

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
    As far as fit, would I be able to layer with say a down vest or base layer with 1/4 zip fleece? Is there enough room for layering? That's the biggest feature I am on the hunt for.
    What type of winter riding/temperature? I can't imagine wearing a down vest while pedaling with much of any effort without overheating and sweating like crazy. And once down gets wet it has 0 insulating properties. Unless you're just wearing it for really fast downhills with no pedaling you might want to stick with the fleece or something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    What type of winter riding/temperature? I can't imagine wearing a down vest while pedaling with much of any effort without overheating and sweating like crazy. And once down gets wet it has 0 insulating properties. Unless you're just wearing it for really fast downhills with no pedaling you might want to stick with the fleece or something else.
    Here in Wisconsin it gets down into the teens and single digits frequently and below zero (-15* to -20*) at times.
    Regards,
    SnyperX

mtbr member since 1996
    Yes. I rode the other day and had a base layer and my usual short sleeve jersey. Plenty of room for a mid layer fleece.

Rain and wind protection are excellent. Plenty of both today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Here in Wisconsin it gets down into the teens and single digits frequently and below zero (-15* to -20*) at times.
    I'm in Minnesota so similar temps and I ride in the coldest of cold. I'm a little guy 5'9" 145 but I run hot and sweat easily. I'd rock multiple thin layers or synthetic before I tossed on a down vest inside the jacket with all the trapped moisture. And I only use a compressible down jacket as my packed away emergency jacket.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I'm in Minnesota so similar temps and I ride in the coldest of cold. I'm a little guy 5'9" 145 but I run hot and sweat easily. I'd rock multiple thin layers or synthetic before I tossed on a down vest inside the jacket with all the trapped moisture. And I only use a compressible down jacket as my packed away emergency jacket.
    I placed an order for the REI Vaporush in Sage Grey. Should have it in hand next week. I can then start to figure out what kind of layering is going to work for me.
    Regards,
    SnyperX