regular in-soles for bike shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

regular in-soles for bike shoes?

My feet are going numb on longer rides. I've got Bontrager mtb shoes. Forget the model. I know they sell insoles for them but the wife mentioned getting Dr. Scholls or similar, and that all shoes are the same on the inside right?
    Anyone used regular insoles in mtb shoes? How'd it work? Dr. Scholls are about the same price as the Bontrager heat moldable ones, but nearby bike shop isn't open today and I figured I could just try the Dr. Scholls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use the specialized bg footbeds. Of the three types I use the blue for avg medium arch. They also cone with varus/vulgus wedges to help with natural placement. About $50 for the kit. I only use one Orange wedge in my right foot. No more numbness.
    Also if you use shoes with velcro straps, tighten the highest ones first and work to the toes, keeping the toebox a tiny loose for play. That really helped me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks. I always do the velcro strap down low, then buckle. I'll try it the other way.
    I have tried loosening them both, which seemed to help some.

Give it a crank
    I wear a second pair of socks over small ankle-height socks. It not only adds padding at the soles but also all around my feet for comfy long rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    My feet are going numb on longer rides. I've got Bontrager mtb shoes. Forget the model. I know they sell insoles for them but the wife mentioned getting Dr. Scholls or similar, and that all shoes are the same on the inside right?
    Anyone used regular insoles in mtb shoes? How'd it work? Dr. Scholls are about the same price as the Bontrager heat moldable ones, but nearby bike shop isn't open today and I figured I could just try the Dr. Scholls.
    Kinda but cycling is different than walking as there is little impact compared to walking. There are very good cycling insoles available from Giro and Shimano, I've also seen cycling insoles from Superfeet but I haven't used them.

mtbr member
    I tried some Dr. Scholls inserts in mine and it didn't work out too well. They bunched up, slid around, etc. Shoes are Specialized something or other, about 3 yrs. old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Use insoles out of old running shoes..they are already molded to your feet and make your riding shoes instantly comfy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You can put any insole in your bike shoes. I used to struggle with plantar fasciitis (arch pain). Phys therapy didn't help much. Podiatrist friend suggested Powersteps insoles. They're not cushy but reinforced hard orthotics embedded in insoles. I use them in my running shoes, daily shoes and bike shoes. Really like them in my bike shoes. Superfeet is a similar product to Powersteps - both good. You'll find them at most good running shoe stores.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I use the specialized bg footbeds. Of the three types I use the blue for avg medium arch. They also cone with varus/vulgus wedges to help with natural placement. About $50 for the kit. I only use one Orange wedge in my right foot. No more numbness.
    Also if you use shoes with velcro straps, tighten the highest ones first and work to the toes, keeping the toebox a tiny loose for play. That really helped me.
    I use Specialized BG Footbeds as well. I use the green ones, which are the highest arch support, with two varus wedges in my left shoe and one varus wedge in my right. It is doing a world of wonder for comfort and also knee alignment.

Insoles for cycling are different than running and walking insoles so I'd suggest looking at something more specific to the activity.

AZ
    banned
    Superfeet. They have many different styles, use the one recommended for your particular needs.

Superfeet Premium Insoles

Members who have read this thread: 0