regular shoes w/ spd cleats- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

regular shoes w/ spd cleats

I'm building a fixie for commuting and i want to find a shoe that I can walk around in a bit with out totally killing the spd cleat. something thats a bit more regular looking and hopefully with out laces. if it has laces its ok. on longer rides i'll take out the mountain shoes but it would be nice for the commute to wear the same shoes at school/work/store.
    any ideas of a type of shoe that does all this?? thanks.

Let the good times roll.
    I have a pair of Specialized Tahoes that I've been using to commute to school for the past year. I generally leave them on all day. They are comfortable for my wide feet, easy to walk in, and look like sneakers. The only real difference I've noticed off the bike compared to normal shoes is the "crunch crunch" sound the cleats make when walking on pavement. The cleats are holding up fine as far as I can tell though. I haven't noticed any change in clipping in or out.

I also use those same shoes for my serious MTB rides without any trouble. The Shimano SH--M076 dedicated MTB shoes I used to have were a bit stiffer, lighter, and easier to put on (velco vs laces), but I don't think I rode any faster with them.

link: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=40338

Ovaries on the Outside
    Good luck. I have a pair of Specialized something or others, but I feel like I'm wearing cycling shoes all day because the soles are so stiff. I've been looking at some of the fitness shoes that are coming out because I figure those would feel pretty decent to walk in all day. I do wish that the cycling world would pay more attention to this arena, as I'd like a shoe that is closer to a sneaker, but be able to run clipless...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hmmm yeah that is a tough one... I have some Specialized mountain biking shoes (can't think of the model) that I use with my Time ATAC's. They work out pretty well (sold on the Time pedals), but when I want to hop off quick, meet some friends for lunch or go the party the bike shoes well... suck. The stiffness is a real trade off in walking and stairs. yikes.

I'm thinking pretty hard about going back to cages or trying power grips because most of my riding is in the city... The less stiff-more-normal looking clipless shoes seem to lack the benefits of going clipless (stiffness, adjustability when riding, lack of "clunkyness") with lots of downsides: mainly price, but I do have a friend that wears a pair all day and does ride a fixed gear.

Personally I ride with a full on bike shoe and change when I get there or...
    Addidas Sambas or Vans are pretty nice for riding on regular pedals because they're a little narrower then the average cross trainer.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    I usually change shoes, but my Shimano MT-31s aren't bad to walk around in. They're just very stiff soled.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh
    I have a pair of Specialized Tahoes that I've been using to commute to school for the past year. I generally leave them on all day. They are comfortable for my wide feet, easy to walk in, and look like sneakers. The only real difference I've noticed off the bike compared to normal shoes is the "crunch crunch" sound the cleats make when walking on pavement. The cleats are holding up fine as far as I can tell though. I haven't noticed any change in clipping in or out.

I also use those same shoes for my serious MTB rides without any trouble. The Shimano SH--M076 dedicated MTB shoes I used to have were a bit stiffer, lighter, and easier to put on (velco vs laces), but I don't think I rode any faster with them.

link: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=40338
    +1 for the tahoe's!! they are comfy and dont look wierd I ware them around after work almost every day
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Recently, I saw a add for Keens which take cleats.

apaju

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Check out the current edition of Mountian Bike Action magazine. They review a shoe from Nike that may be what you're looking for.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    The nike look good, but expensive $200 +. I use the Mt 32 low top laced or the Mt 52 high top laced witha velcro strap. both are easy to walk around on. I have a dedicated mt. bike shoe m80 that has straps but looks like mt. bike/road shoe.

the MT 52 is the most comfortable looks the coolest. heres a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk

The MT52 looks the coolest? Are you high. That is such a dorky system administrator shoe if I have ever seen it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    The MT52 looks the coolest? Are you high. That is such a dorky system administrator shoe if I have ever seen it.
    wow man what do you like?
    other than flames!

I checked out your cite. talking about dorky, I hope thats not a picture of you!

I'm SUCH a square....
    A few years ago, I had a pair of 661 Experts; forgot my work shoes one day, had to work all day in the 661's. A little stiff in the calves by 5 o'clock, but good otherwise. My Answer Palisades are the same way. But a pair of Sette's were the worst idea I ever had! Sound like a mix of cowboy boot and stiletto heel, serious heel pain after walking 1/4-mile. Forget it.....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have been eying these for a while.
    looks like they have been discontinued though.

Cracker
    Quote Originally Posted by nagatahawk
    The nike look good, but expensive $200 +. I use the Mt 32 low top laced or the Mt 52 high top laced witha velcro strap. both are easy to walk around on. I have a dedicated mt. bike shoe m80 that has straps but looks like mt. bike/road shoe.

I have these and they are very comfy something you can wear all day perfect
    i use the for freeride/dh when i have to do alot more walking
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    I love my keens. They work well enough on the bike, and I can stand in them at work all day. If I wear black socks, theres no way to tell they're a sandal.

read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    I plan on scoring the exact smae Keens when I start my new job. May even do a pair in brown also. Planning on ordering a Maxpedition Gearslinger too. Hopefully I will be able to sell the Jeep!
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Check out Shimano. They have a ton of casual looking shoes. I'm looking at the sh-mt60's.

sh-fn22

sh-am40

sh-mp66w

sh-mt60

sh-mt41g

sh-mt32l

sh-mt52

sh-mt21

sh-wm40

Performance also still has the Shimano fn-51 with boa lacing

responsible zombie owner
    Anyone had any experience with 661 Filters? I'm interested in a pair but not sure if the sizing is accurate.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/171...sual-Shoes.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you like Keens, REI has a bike shoe that looks like a street shoe.

Ariolimax columbianus

Members who have read this thread: 0