Red Bull Road Rage- beware some lycra...- Mtbr.com

Red Bull Road Rage- beware some lycra...

In no particular order... Herbold, Clinger, ???, Riffle, Carter... I slacked on getting photos of some of the others...

Anyhow- Myles Rockwell won both the TT and the Four Man on a two year old stock Giant TCR Road bike...

Don't try the "this doesn't belong on this board" either. It's downhill, and a mountain biker won.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roaming Oregon; 11-05-2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Typo- of course!

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    the 3rd shot could be the gheyest pic ever.
    lmfao!!!

is that tuna canyon?

mtbr member

I wanna talk to Samson!
    hahaha

l heard(from a thread on RM)that D. Riff took a digger at 55mph and is covered with road rash.
    Mtbers took the top 3
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Yeah, that was Clinger. I realized I had the worst angle available and moved- but then I my complete lack of photography skills came out and I got lame pictures. By the time I fixed it everyone had gone by.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Oregon
    "this doesn't belong on this board" .
    u say it bra...

Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    hahaha

l heard(from a thread on RM)that D. Riff took a digger at 55mph and is covered with road rash.
    Mtbers took the top 3
    The TT was Rockwell (on a road bike,) McCook (roadie I think,) then Lopes (on a MTX bike with 700c wheels.)

I'm not sure on the Four man other than Rockwell.

I'm not sure on Riffle- but do know someone crashed and kept going during the TT, and someone broke a collarbone in the four man.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    u say it bra...
    Deal with it. This is a DH board. All these riders are going DH, and most of them are mountain bikers. Maybe I should pm the mods and turn it into a "sticky" just to stick it to you

I wanna talk to Samson!
    The TT was Rockwell (on a road bike,) McCook (roadie I think,) then Lopes (on a MTX bike with 700c wheels.)

I'm not sure on the Four man other than Rockwell.

I'm not sure on Riffle- but do know someone crashed and kept going during the TT, and someone broke a collarbone in the four man.
    http://www.transcendmagazine.com/archives/000541.html
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Jun 2005
    Deal with it. This is a DH board. All these riders are going DH, and most of them are mountain bikers. Maybe I should pm the mods and turn it into a "sticky" just to stick it to you
    lol...

kk man...

Giant STP 06
    are there any videos up anywhere?

****** ow if they fell

Up In Smoke
    Thats Tight. Yeah The Third Pic Is Pretty [email protected] But That Dude Is Hella Carving That Sh!t
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaStinky05
    are there any videos up anywhere?

****** ow if they fell
    http://www.redbullroadrage.com

Results/photos/video to be posted soon
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Jan 2004
    Nice to have some of the 1st photos up. but should have given me the media pass to get some good shots!

Glad to Be Alive
    "this doesn't belong on this board" I don't see any drops or dirt
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i was gonna race it but i thought i would keep my dignity instead

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    "this doesn't belong on this board" I don't see any drops or dirt
    Um................i see plenty of dirt

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy jibber
    dats my boy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    http://www.redbullroadrage.com

Results/photos/video to be posted soon

Cant wait to see the video.

What an insane on road event.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy jibber
    I am sure they are quite impressed. I know I am.

Somehow these guys, despite their lack of dignity, manage to make a living riding their bikes.
    Last edited by Go Kart Motzart; 11-06-2005 at 04:13 AM.

Oct 2005
    I want to see somebody with a knee and elbow on the pavement, and the 3rd pic is pretty close. Nice shots!

SNOWRIDER
    Damn roadies
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Giant STP 06
    can someone explain, on the 4th photo, his left leg? It looks...bent the wrong way

Jun 2005
    can someone explain, on the 4th photo, his left leg? It looks...bent the wrong way
    is the photographer form pic. 1 to 5... u !!!!!!!

ballbuster

That rocks

I heard of that event, and thought that is prolly going to be the most shed blood of any event.

Roadies get a lot of crap around these boards, but personally I'd rather stack on a mountain bike than a roadie at speed. Those mufuggers hit 70 on pavement without wearing those wussy pads. Nothing but a layer of lycra between them and the cheesegrater they call the road. I've topped out at around 50 myself, and it was scary.

That dude in Pic 3 is seriously carving. I can't see how anybody can use the 'G' word describing that. I've seen that canyon road... it's hairy.

Those dudes have huevos as big around as those 700c wheels.

Sedona, Az USA
    did you happen to look at pics 1-3 ???

Sep 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That knee belongs to the other photographer in the background in the other pics.

mtbtires.com

Jun 2005
    Going ghetto with the P.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now with flavor!!
    So he goes through the trouble of putting a faring on his bike but then wears flappy jeans and a t-shirt?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    So he goes through the trouble of putting a faring on his bike but then wears flappy jeans and a t-shirt?
    I was thinking the same thing.

Was probably practice or something.
    JackNugz

Not the sharpest stick in the fight.

He also put on hard compound commuter tires (with reflective sidewalls!). Not the best choice for railling the corners.

Even so he finished 2nd in the 4-up. 12 of 19 in the time trial.
    mtbtires.com

Samsonite Tester
    Not the sharpest stick in the fight.

He also put on hard compound commuter tires (with reflective sidewalls!). Not the best choice for railling the corners.
    After 40 hard turns at speed they might have been sticky hot. Can you give it a test run down Larrison road ?
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Now with flavor!!
    Not the sharpest stick in the fight..
    Pretty bold statement to make about someone who spends more time on his bike at a professionally competive level in both product development and riding in a day than you might in a year.

Even so he finished 2nd in the 4-up. 12 of 19 in the time trial.
    Your computer needs an irony meter for when you type things like that. You don't seem to pick it up very well yourself.

Pretty bold statement to make about someone who spends more time on his bike at a professionally competive level in both product development and riding in a day than you might in a year.

Your computer needs an irony meter for when you type things like that. You don't seem to pick it up very well yourself.
    Heck of a racer. Does not mean he made the best equipment choices.
    mtbtires.com

Glad to Be Alive

Shiggy rides alot....but wearing baggy clothes with a fearing doesn't seem to smart

Now with flavor!!
    Heck of a racer. Does not mean he made the best equipment choices.
    Hurry up and get that meter installed.

Getting anywhere near the race stature that EC has, those two go hand in hand.....successful racer.....equipment choices.........usually a connection there.

He got second place fer cryin out loud.

I know you're the self proclaimed tire expert because you made a website to imply such (which is very informative in a 1999 kind of way) but when a professional racer who rides his bike against some of the fastest riders both in his disciplines and others places second, you implying that he's a "dull stick" is just silly. You seem to have an odd self imposed tire guru complex that's horribly misguided. Someone like Eric Carter obviously knows what he's doing.........which is why I just questioned the jeans/t-shirt setup somewhat rhetorically rather than insulting the guy's intelligence..

Glad to Be Alive
    Hurry up and get that meter installed.

Getting anywhere near the race stature that EC has, those two go hand in hand.....successful racer.....equipment choices.........usually a connection there.

I know you're the self proclaimed tire expert because you made a website to imply such (which is very informative in a 1999 kind of way) but when a professional racer who rides his bike against some of the fastest riders both in his disciplines and others places second, you implying that he's a "dull stick" is just silly. You seem to have an odd self imposed tire guru complex that's horribly misguided. Someone like Eric Carter obviously knows what he's doing.........which is why I just questioned the jeans/t-shirt setup somewhat rhetorically rather than insulting the guy's intelligence..

kidwoo going for the jugalar..................

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Shiggy rides alot....but wearing baggy clothes with a fearing doesn't seem to smart
    Niether does riding a bike off of 20 foot cliffs . Isn't the point of a faering (sp?) to cut the wind? So the effects of wearing lycra would be minimized if the riding is sitting behind a big arse fearing. Also you don't know if he wore baggies during his race run.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

And he got his butt kicked (twice) by a long-retired racer riding a bone-stock road bike with worn out tires who "trained" by doing 3 spin classes.

You really need to rethink the logistics of this:
    ....spends more time on his bike ... in a day than you might in a year
    mtbtires.com

Glad to Be Alive
    And he got his butt kicked (twice) by a long-retired racer riding a bone-stock road bike with worn out tires who "trained" by doing 3 spin classes.

Shiggy check your Pm's

Now with flavor!!
    If you're going to disagree with something I said, at least disagree with what I actually said and not cut it up to mean something completely different. In case you forgot, here it is.

I never implied that you don't ride frequently or whatever it is you wish do defend. I made an assumption here that you are not involved with any major manufacurer's product development. Is that incorrect? If so then that's worth disagreeing with, not some non-existent statement about how much you ride your bike compared to someone else which I never made.

Look at it this way. A ghetto commuter tire is hard, really hard compared to higher end tires. The immediate effect of this will be a faster rolling tire but with the frequency of hard turns in that race, that tire is also not going to be the cold hard rubber you hold in your hands when it's brand new and unmounted. I can guarentee you this was something taken into consideration. I even put on a set of cheap-o tires on my dirtjump bike once because they were harder/faster than anything else I had. EC was one of the first people I ever heard of trimming knobs on his tires to fit specific courses. He's a tire geek too. I trust his judgement over yours because he is in fact very meticulous about his equipment and something that seems out of place to you isn't necessarily so. And it's arrogant of you to come out of the gate criticizing him the way you did.

I'm willing to accept this with his jeans/fairing combo. There may be enough of an eddy/draft zone on that fairing that it doesn't matter. But only he would know this so I don't go deeming his choice(s) as poor or wise because I'm a self proclaimed expert.

I know you like riding bikes and playing around with the equipment, so do most of the people who take the time to do what you have going with your website as well as bothering to discuss it in places like this. But like me, you don't know everything and there are people out there who are a lot more versed and experienced that we can learn from. I wouldn't be making such a stink if all you had said was something along the lines of those not being your choices or that you didn't quite understand/agree with the ones made. But outright insulting the intelligence of one of the most experienced and successful bike racers on the planet based on your own biases is nuts.

Apr 2004
    actually, isn't the first pic of EC in what appears to be a tight(lycra) skinsuit?

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    actually, isn't the first pic of EC in what appears to be a tight(lycra) skinsuit?
    I was thinking that was a yeti getup the first time I looked at it but I think you're right. Helmet looks the same. Guess he was only in citizen garb for practice. I like the duct tape though.

Apr 2004
    I was thinking that was a yeti getup the first time I looked at it but I think you're right. Helmet looks the same. Guess he was only in citizen garb for practice. I like the duct tape though.

he should have just duct taped up his jean legs for the race, that would have been a kick ass windsuit

duct tape rocks the world on so many different levels

Now with flavor!!
    Bikini wax

Duct tape speedsuit. Nuff said.

Better protection than spandex.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    Niether does riding a bike off of 20 foot cliffs . Isn't the point of a faering (sp?) to cut the wind? So the effects of wearing lycra would be minimized if the riding is sitting behind a big arse fearing. Also you don't know if he wore baggies during his race run.
    for those of you so engrossed in the baggy jeans vs. lycra uniform on Carter...I read on RM that he only wore that for his first practice run because he was late for practice...he then changed into the well loved lycra speedsuit...and upped the hawtness factor tenfold...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Nobody knows

It looks like everyone was experimenting with regards to tire choice and frame type. It's quite possible EC chose the wrong tires and could have won. Or maybe he chose right and finished on the podium... There's really no way to know.

FWIW, Wike, who finished third in the Four Up, only had a 53t chainring and felt like he could have done better with a bigger ring. I think many of those guys didn't take it TOO seriously and were just winging it for the most part. Not like there's a lot of data out there to help make decisions on race day.

But aerodynamics are the same regardless... the jeans are never going to be as fast as the skinsuit and the full aero TT helmet...

JMH

Members who have read this thread: 0