Recommended me some knee/shin guards- Mtbr.com
    steezy as 123
    Jun 2010

Recommended me some knee/shin guards

I'm looking for some durable, knee/shin guards that will keep me safe on a fall onto concrete (i.e. skate park). Any suggestions?

I like the size of the Fox Launch, but I'm concerned about having enough protection...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fox pads should be ok, they're definitly long enough.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride.

I Have Cookies
    I run some fox titan's pretty affordable and good....
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Good job! POC VPD Knee Pads

I went to the store to get some knee pads and was convinced that the FOX launch pads where going to be great. I tried them on and fell to my knees. To my surprised I felt pain. It's basically just a piece of hard plastic keeping you from injury. The guy at the store told me to try the POC VPD Knee Pads. I noticed they were almost twice the price but I still tried them on. I fell to my knees and felt absolutly no pain on impact. I was surprised and almost jumped down on my knees to make sure. Still no pain. The material is soft untill it impacts. My wife gave me the look when I bought them because they were over a hundred dollars but I was confident they were going to work.
    I rode Slick Rock and the Whole Enchilada with them on and barely noticed them. I fell hard on the Porcupine Rim part of the Whole Enchilada and hit my knees on a rock when I fell. The pads took the full impact. I will be buying the elbow pads next. I highly recommend the POC VPD pads, they are just a little pricey...https://www.pocsports.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    most time pain from falling on your knees as you described has nothing to do with the protection. That type of pain is arthritis and other crap in knee. Glad you liked them since you paid so much for them it is good they work for you.

mtbr member
    I'm super picky about my gear... I ended up going with the 661 Kyle Strait's. I like the padding on the sides of the knees and they have a hard cap. Great price point, they don't seem to slide around much and they've already paid themselves off after a few crashes. I wear them from when I leave the house until I return. Great pad for the $$$.

ps - I tried on about 5 or 6 other sets of pads before I bought these... everything from Fox to Dainese...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've ridden the Whole Enchilada with these bad boys and taken some big falls during the Porcupine Rim section. I recommend these even more now. Solid pads. What a weird response by the way...1632

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a good time with my 661 Pro knee/shin guards. I don't wear them while riding up as they strap nicely onto my Camelbak Lobo. Most of the trails around here require you get to the top before you ride down a long descent, so it works out alright. I realize this isn't ideal for many people, so I'll throw out there that the newish TLD knee pads are out. Although my pads are certainly overkill, Straitline pedals are a terrible thing to get caught in the shins by.

they're nice, so I've heard

Happy shredding :)
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOCanucker View Post
    I'm super picky about my gear... I ended up going with the 661 Kyle Strait's. I like the padding on the sides of the knees and they have a hard cap. Great price point, they don't seem to slide around much and they've already paid themselves off after a few crashes. I wear them from when I leave the house until I return. Great pad for the $$$.

ps - I tried on about 5 or 6 other sets of pads before I bought these... everything from Fox to Dainese...
    I gotta say those side pads look rather appetizing, feel safer just looking at them. You say they don't slide around, how skinny/fat is your leg? I'm 6'6" at 205lbs. so my legs are normal skinny and have had 661's slide around on me before, but these were their base model knee pads so maybe the construction is different?

Idk, would appreciate the input for a new set of pads
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

MarkyMark
    I bought those TLD knee pads along with the matching elbow/forearm pads. I haven't crashed on them, but they're awesome when you have to pedal. I didn't do the Whole Enchilada (upper Hazard was still snowed in), but did most of Porcupine Rim and pedaled back to Moab earlier this year.

I was going to take the pads off, but they weren't restricting my movement nor making me overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    I realize this isn't ideal for many people, so I'll throw out there that the newish TLD knee pads are out. Although my pads are certainly overkill, Straitline pedals are a terrible thing to get caught in the shins by.

they're nice, so I've heard

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the 661 Kyle straits and like them so far. I just measured my leg and used the size chart when ordering and they fit perfectly. I also have the 661 veggie shin pads. They make for a nice combo but very warm in the summer months so they def see less use plus after riding for years I tend not to hit the shins with the pedals anymore.

As far as durability we shall see. The padding on the side def protects good but rips easy when crashing. I've had them 6 months and they have saved my knees and are comfortable for sure. I say they last two seasons max. I would buy them again.

Members who have read this thread: 0