Recommend a set of knee/elbow 'summer' armor- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Recommend a set of knee/elbow 'summer' armor

Dag.
    I rode yesterday and fell 2 times pretty badly. I haven't fallen badly in 3 seasons and made me think about wearing my Roach armor again. But they're so hot to wear in the summer, being the heavy duty full coverage product that it is.

Would you recommend a cooler, lighter set for me? Even the XC here is very rocky.

Thanks
    Bob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Raceace (which bought out Roach) is now making what looks like a lighter and shorter version of the Rally pads. They're on the Raceface website.

it's....
    I just ordered 661 Chicken Wings for elbow, and Veggies for knee.
    Both sets for under $45 on sale.
    I just wanted light protection for Fall when the leaves fall and cause lowsides.

mtbr member
    661 evo xc are really light weight and comfy, hell even the regular 661 evo's are really lightweight and comfy. Only problem is the price so if you can find someplace to try them on first I'd really suggest it.

How do I do that?
    I just ordered 661 Veggie elbow and Kyle Straight knee pads. I really didn't want to spend $80 on pads but I figure it'll be worth it after it saves me after the first few falls. Since I ride a very rocky terrain filled with rocks, shale, gravel and various vegetation with thorns all over them (ie. cacti, goats head, etc), I thought it'll be a good investment while I switch and try clipless for the first time in my life

I'll let you know how the pads feel. Although they seem to be a lightweight pad, they seem to wrap completely around so I'm not sure how comfortable they would be in the summer. I sure wish a shop around me carried some so I don't have to worry about them not fitting me right.

I shall see

crashes in parkinglot
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Dag.
    I rode yesterday and fell 2 times pretty badly. I haven't fallen badly in 3 seasons and made me think about wearing my Roach armor again. But they're so hot to wear in the summer, being the heavy duty full coverage product that it is.

Would you recommend a cooler, lighter set for me? Even the XC here is very rocky.

Thanks
    Bob
    If your trails are up and then down but not a mix of a bunch of up and down, I wouldn't cross the Roach pads off your list, I have strapped my to my pack for the climb and then put on the pads for the dh.

I've also had Dainese, but I didn't like them because I would have to take off my shoes to put them on. They are lighter and cooler than the Roach pads though.
    Down is the new up.

Members who have read this thread: 0