Recommend Me Some SPD Shoes For $100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Recommend Me Some SPD Shoes For $100

After 2 rides on the Anthills here in Houston on cheapie Wellgo platforms with Asics running shoes, I think I am going to give clip less pedals/shoes a try. So need recommendations on shoes at the $100 price point.

I have tried on Sidi Sierra and Shimano SH-M087G shoes so far. Both were about $100 give or take a couple bucks. Looking to try some more before deciding.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations or suggestions.

Jason
    2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Based on several recommendations, I bought some Specialized shoes about a year ago and I love them. Not sure the name but they were about $90 with three Velcro straps and no buckle. Not bad to walk in either.

mtbr member
    I got my Sidi shoes on sale for around $100 after shopping deals. I really liked the fit of the Sidis; I've also heard great things about Specialized shoes. Got my Sidis a season old at Sun & Ski. If you figure out your exact size, may find great deals online. I put an insole in mine w/a great arch support & highly recommend that.

Short-Change-Hero
    I have a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alps Drift and while they are a nice fitting shoe and have some good traction on the bottom for hike a bike I am finding that the soles are not very stiff. My last major ride with my brother he noticed that they flexed a lot while I pedaled and mentioned something to me. While I did not think much of it I am just now picking up riding after being off a month and feel that my calves are hurting more than normal. I am wondering if the flex from standing and attacking is causing the soles to flex after having them for approximately 6 months of constant use.

My recommendation, look at spending a bit more unless these will be used as a stop gap. I am now thinking that I may replace mine with something a bit more expensive (looking at close to the $200 range). Also, where possible get something with the top buckle as I am wondering if part of my problem is that the velcro is loosening due to use and thus my foot is slipping inside the shoe causing more issues.

mtbr member
    Northwave- great heel cup generally, buckles last, and their three velcro straps versions are actually the best, next would be Lake- all come with studs.

This time of year, you should score the best models for around $100 or less