• 03-17-2007
    radelow
    Recommend helmet & pedals please!!
    Hello all. New to this mountain biking thing. I need to purchase a new helmet so can anyone recommend one? In the past I had good luck with Giro. Looking to spend less than $100 on it. The other thing I need are new pedals for my bike. I have basic ones at this point but would like to use clip on shoes. Thanks for all your help!

radelow
  • 03-17-2007
    nicolicious
    ok
    fox flux and

crankbrothers mallet

ps tell me what you think of the helmet cause i dont actually have one but
    i think im gonna buy it depending on what you review it as....
  • 03-17-2007
    radelow
    What about the Smarty pedals? Slightly better price-point for me...
  • 03-17-2007
    Hardtails Are Better
    Go to your bike shop and try on helmets. Then buy the one that fits best. The best designed helmet won't be as protective as it could be if it dosn't fit right. And it sure as hell won't do much if it's uncomfortable and tempts you not to wear it.

As for pedals, Crank Brothers Mallets are great.
  • 03-17-2007
    quattrokid73
    get the normal crankbros eggbeaters, they are ~90-100 dollars and will last forever and be super super light.
  • 03-17-2007
    Hardtails Are Better
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radelow
    What about the Smarty pedals? Slightly better price-point for me...

Smartys are budget Crank Brothers. They work OK, but quality of construction and materials is a little lacking- that's why they're so darn cheap. They'd be fine if they're all you can afford, but I'd recommend spending the extra money for Candys or Mallets if you can.
  • 03-17-2007
    Hardtails Are Better
    Quote:

Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    get the normal crankbros eggbeaters, they are ~90-100 dollars and will last forever and be super super light.

This was posted in the AM forum. I like EggBeaters for XC, but prefer to have a bit of a platform for more technical situations.