Recommend a helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Recommend a helmet

I bought by first real MTB a few weeks ago. So far I have ridden around on a paved bike path, done a little sidewalk ridding, and been on the trails once. I don't let my kids ride without a helmet so I feel like I need one too. I have seen the Fox Transition helmet for cheap a few places online. Anyone have experience with it? Is there something else you would recommend? From prices I have seen online, I think I should be able to get something under $50 to my door.

Carbon or Commie?
    Go try some on... The fit is absolutely the most important part. And you can't judge for without placing the helmet on your own unique noggin.

RideDirt
    Yea, go to your local bike shop aka LBS and try some different ones on . I have a Fox Flux that i enjoy but everyones head is different .

No Stranger to danger....
    Fox Flux.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

Carbon or Commie?
    I like my giro hex.

mtbr member
    i got a fox flux and love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Fox Flux. Perfect.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Whamonkey View Post
    Fox Flux. Perfect.
    If it fit you. The Fox does not fit my head.

You need to try on helmets. Fit is most important.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If it fit you. The Fox does not fit my head.

You need to try on helmets. Fit is most important.
    Shiggy, you got a little or big head, an egg head or a fat head, ive got a pretty big melon i went with the l/xl flux, it fits pretty well.
    you might be ab-normal shiggy poor shiggy
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    As the others have said, fgo try some on but I'd recommend looking at the ones with more of a full back to them, like the Fox Flux or 661 Recon. Specialized has a model similar to this now thats only like $45 or so. Its extra protection for a new rider that may be more inclined to fall backwards trying to wheelie hop over something and, IMHO, I think they look better than the roadie still lids
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. I'll see what the bike shop has. I think they mostly carry stuff for road bikes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Shiggy, you got a little or big head, an egg head or a fat head, ive got a pretty big melon i went with the l/xl flux, it fits pretty well.
    you might be ab-normal shiggy poor shiggy
    Head shapes vary. Fox and Giro helmets do not fit well for lots of people, and I am VERY picky about proper helmet fit. I see way too many riders wearing helmets with poor fit.

The POC Trabec fits my head perfectly. Lucky me.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    I bought by first real MTB a few weeks ago. So far I have ridden around on a paved bike path, done a little sidewalk ridding, and been on the trails once. I don't let my kids ride without a helmet so I feel like I need one too. I have seen the Fox Transition helmet for cheap a few places online. Anyone have experience with it? Is there something else you would recommend? From prices I have seen online, I think I should be able to get something under $50 to my door.
    as others have said, yes go try some on, before purchasing. My head's a little on the weird side I guess and I bought a couple that now get used by the occasional family member or friend that may join me riding. .

My first helmet was a cheap Bell Quake (adult size) from Academy Sports, bought it b/c I needed a helmet that day... the fit is dismal. My second was a Bell Variant, I got a good deal on online. The fit is too tight and is uncomfortable to wear for very long.

I now have a Fox Stryker that I love the fit and can hardly tell I'm wearing it. Looks great, is comfortable and has plenty of air flow through it.

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat

Head shapes vary. Fox and Giro helmets do not fit well for lots of people, and I am VERY picky about proper helmet fit. I see way too many riders wearing helmets with poor fit.

The POC Trabec fits my head perfectly. Lucky me.
    An example of a helmet that does not fit.
    The "head clamp" is keeping it from wobbling but I could put my fist between the back of the kid's head and the back of the helmet.
    Poor fit = poor protection.
    Recommend a helmet-badhelmet.jpg
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Fox Flux is pretty nice.

That pic of that kid above looks like she has on the wrong size helmet ( too big). Might fit her better if she went smaller.

I have a Bell Sweep for road riding, it is fine, but not as comfy as the Fox.

I like Specialized stuff, but I recently tried one of their high end helmets and it was horrible fitting on my head, so I ordered the Flux and it was perfect.

If you order something, just make sure to measure your head and check the specs/recommendations on the website before placing the order.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Fox Flux is pretty nice.

That pic of that kid above looks like she has on the wrong size helmet ( too big). Might fit her better if she went smaller.

I have a Bell Sweep for road riding, it is fine, but not as comfy as the Fox.

I like Specialized stuff, but I recently tried one of their high end helmets and it was horrible fitting on my head, so I ordered the Flux and it was perfect.

If you order something, just make sure to measure your head and check the specs/recommendations on the website before placing the order.
    Too big is poor fit just as much as wrong shape. Pads and head clamps do not fix that.

Using the head measurements tells you nothing about the shape of the helmet or your head. I can take a medium Bell and a medium Giro (both 55-59cm) and the Bell fits well, while I can not get the Giro on my head. Even a large Giro (59-63cm) pinches front to back.

Helmets must be tried on.
    mtbtires.com

Carbon or Commie?
    Too big is poor fit just as much as wrong shape. Pads and head clamps do not fix that.

Using the head measurements tells you nothing about the shape of the helmet or your head. I can take a medium Bell and a medium Giro (both 55-59cm) and the Bell fits well, while I can not get the Giro on my head. Even a large Giro (59-63cm) pinches front to back.

Helmets must be tried on.
    Fox helmets pinch me side-to-side at the very back of my head (I have an aerodynamically efficient wedge-shaped head with a boat-tail). Giro seem to be MADE for large, odd heads like mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    bought one of the transitions 3 months back, love it. but like others have said go try them on and decide from that.

mtbr member

Good job! Mavic Plasma

Hello,

Just bought this one and itīs a nice and comfortable surprise.

mtbr member
    661 Recon.... Been wearing it for a couple years now.. I dig it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The closest bike shop to me is an hour away. I checked them out this weekend and the only helmets they have are for road bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i have a met terra which i feel isnt bad for the price

Carbon or Commie?
    The closest bike shop to me is an hour away. I checked them out this weekend and the only helmets they have are for road bikes.
    Buy on Amazon, if it doesn't fit, send it back?

I believe the "free shipping both ways for clothing returns" counts for helmets.

Members who have read this thread: 0