• 01-04-2007
    MCtigre
    Recommedations for a Trail helmet
    I need a new helmet due to the fact that I left mine at the last trail. I was in a hurry to get home, getting late and all- wife, kids ect. Stupid I know however, I had a Bell Flux and it was good but I want something a bit more. I live in Austin, Tx and it gets hot here so I need lots of ventilation. I like the idea of THE Industries AM helmet because it has lots of coverage on the back and it seems to be more rounded too. Problem is no one around here carries it.
    I need some adv or help.
    Lastly if anyone has a phone # for Pryme Protective Gear please post.
    Thanks,
    M.C.tiger
  • 01-04-2007
    Feel the flow
    1 Attachment(s)
    Giro Hex has good coverage, ventilaton and you wont have to break into your kids piggy bank to get one. Attachment 224313
  • 01-05-2007
    Bone Collector
    Giro Hex or Zen. I'd have to reccommend Specialized Deviant if you willing to go fullface.
    You might also want one that fits the shape and size of your head. Budget should not be an issue.
  • 01-05-2007
    mkiv808
    I have two helmets. Pryme AL, which is a very lightweight and ventilated full-face, and a Giro Transfer for lighter rides. The Pryme was almost $100 shipped, but the Giro was $30 at the LBS. Both fit great!
  • 01-05-2007
    SuperKat
    I have a Giro Zen for trails and lately I've been using the Deviant as well.

PS - I love that Butters avatar above.
  • 01-05-2007
    mazafakka
    I had a Bell Influx that I liked pretty well, but it got stolen out of my garage along with my previous bike. Anyway, in a pinch I bought the Specialized Deviant and have been pretty happy with it. It's not much heavier than a non-full-face helmet, but seems to give much better protection. I thought the visibility might be an issue, but I haven't had any problems. It also seems pretty well ventilated, although I live in San Antonio, and come summer, I may have a different opinion!
  • 01-05-2007
    TNC
    For full coverage trail helmets...Pryme Al and Spec Deviant. Otherwise, the Giro Hex is the less expensive version of the Xen.
  • 01-05-2007
    amor587
    I say go for the Giro Xen.... use one for a couple years now and they are great helmets.
  • 01-05-2007
    tscheezy
    Just be ready for the Xen to be a lot hotter and heavier feeling than the Bell Influx. I had a Xen and did not like the salad bowl fit, or the huge brow pad that caused a constant waterfall of sweat down my face. I really did not care for that helmet. The Influx may lack a little in the new skate-lid-fashion, but it is very comfy and does the job. Make sure you try the Xen on before buying would be my suggestion. Fox has a new helmet called the Flux out that looks promising too.
  • 01-05-2007
    <sL4yEr>RuLz
    The Zen's front brow sweat-factor is true. Even in freezing conditions, there's constant drippage. One easy solution, sweat band. The Halo brand works really well.
    Other than that, it's one of the better looking helmets out there. :thumbsup:
  • 01-05-2007
    ChipV
    I've got a Zen (Xen?) and am not all that sroked with it. It really is shaped like a sald bowl, and even with my big water head it seems to be sized for a gorrilla. Oh, and the retention system in the back pops out of the styrofoam, too. This was my third Gyro (my last one lasted since '97) and I would have to say quality is way down.
  • 01-05-2007
    MCtigre
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks for the info. and input. I like yalls suggestions.
    M.C.tigre
    P.S.
    Does anyone have the # for Pryme?
  • 01-06-2007
    perttime
    Can you find helmets locally? It seems that most helmets do not fit my head, anyway, so I always want to try before buying. Maybe some heads are more normal...
  • 01-06-2007
    67degrees
    Don't buy without trying a helmet on first!!!!
    Don't buy without trying a helmet on first!!!!

There are a lot of different sizes and shapes of heads out there and helmets are no different. For me, the Giro Xen is the best fitting open face helmet I've ever had. I find it very comfortable and light. I can't believe someone would complain that it is heavy. Must have pretty weak neck neck muscles or something. Anyhow, I like the fit, find it very well ventilated and have never had any issues with durability. I do wear a Headsweat which wicks and channels sweat out the back of the headband. I've been using the Xen's for a couple of years and have two. One for day rides and one set up with a light for night rides. The helmet may fit you great or it may fit horribly. You have to try it on. I tried several different helmets till I found the right fit with the Xen. Fox has a similar helmet that just came out that looks very nice too. I can't remember the name but it was mentioned earlier in the post by some other people.
  • 01-06-2007
    tscheezy
    It's heavier and hotter than my usual helmet up to that point (Giro E2). Not a lot heavier (I weighed them, but don't remember), but a lot hotter. The sweat downspout across the brow sort of accentuated this sensation. :)
  • 01-06-2007
    Psycho Mike
    Well, I've got a fairly warm 3/4 or skater style Giro Semi MX...nice fit for me, but can be warm when it gets hot out. The Xen is a good helmet too and a lot cooler than the Semi I run.

I've tried out a Pryme AL as well...for a full face, it is quite cool. Locally, they are cheaper than the Deviant and seem to fit just as well.
  • 01-06-2007
    Lowball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MCtigre
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks for the info. and input. I like yalls suggestions.
    M.C.tigre
    P.S.
    Does anyone have the # for Pryme?

Looks like they are located in WA - Pryme World Headquarters

May have to call 411 on that one or call your LBS.

+1 for the Deviant
  • 01-07-2007
    NappyT
    I like my 03 Giro E2 but I think my next helmet would be the Giro Xen.
  • 01-09-2007
    scoO_p
    its called the fox flux.. the helmet from fox that resembles the giro xen
  • 01-09-2007
    cameronm_99
    I use the Giro Xen. The fit of the Xen is excelent and it provides a little more protection than your standard XC helmet. The retention system is awsome too, it litterally locks the helmet onto my head.

Cameron