Recomendations for "light" upper boddy armor?- Mtbr.com
    fried stuff with cheese

Recomendations for "light" upper boddy armor?

I'm currently using the SixSixOne Assault suit (I think that's what it is). It's the one that has chest, back, and shoulder protection but it doesn't come down to protect your elbows/forearms like the Pressure Suit.
    It works as it should but I'm not digging how bulky it it. The shoulder pads are like football pads and the chest pad always slides up and push the shoulder pads up, making them seem even bigger.
    I've noticed on the newer ones the shoulder cups aren't as big as they are on mine. Just looking for a less bulky option...?
    Egg

maker of trail
    I'm looking at the 661 core saver... might be interesting for you too?

Jul 2007
    661 Core saver is exactly what you're looking for.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Rockgardn Trailstar

mtbr member
    I use the 661 Core Saver. It's light and protects well. It's got good chest and back protection, and some shoulder protection. The material it's made from wicks well and is comfortable directly against the skin.

However if you shoulder check a lot of trees you may want the new assault suit. Surprisingly I noticed in the last issue of MBA they gave the new comp suit a 5 star rating. Looks like the new assault is just a short sleeve version of the comp.

Jun 2006
    My vote goes to the Trailstar. I prefer a hard shell for better impact protection. the Coresaver looks good, but I haven't seen one in person to see how well they protect.

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/rockgardn_trailstar

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Rockgardn Trailstar
    yup

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    661 Core saver is exactly what you're looking for.
    yeap, i love mine. just enough protection.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I got this before my first trip up to Highland after seeing the pictures of all the stuff there.

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=216
    Since I've been riding there I have used almost every part of the protection it provides. shoulders into trees. Elbows into trees and the ground. Hit my chest on my handle bar and stem each, and lastly fell off the back of the bike on a botched jump and landed on my back. I'm not getting any younger so I'll use all the protection I can get. Since its mesh holding it all together its not to hot or bulky.

You gotta love Highland on your Highline Huh? Are you heading up this weekend?

Glad to Be Alive
    keep wearing what you have...after a while you get used to the bulk-e-ness

in the long run you will be safer wearing what you have
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I use the 661 Core Saver. It's light and protects well. It's got good chest and back protection, and some shoulder protection. The material it's made from wicks well and is comfortable directly against the skin.

However if you shoulder check a lot of trees you may want the new assault suit. Surprisingly I noticed in the last issue of MBA they gave the new comp suit a 5 star rating. Looks like the new assault is just a short sleeve version of the comp.
    After smashing up my shoulders, I got the assault suit, but the core saver does look like a good bet. For some reasons my shoulders are worse than anything, shins next, then back. bizzare.

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    I got this before my first trip up to Highland after seeing the pictures of all the stuff there.

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=216
    Since I've been riding there I have used almost every part of the protection it provides. shoulders into trees. Elbows into trees and the ground. Hit my chest on my handle bar and stem each, and lastly fell off the back of the bike on a botched jump and landed on my back. I'm not getting any younger so I'll use all the protection I can get. Since its mesh holding it all together its not to hot or bulky.

You gotta love Highland on your Highline Huh? Are you heading up this weekend?
    That looks interesting. The shoulder cups don't look as big as the ones on mine. Yes, going to Highland on the new bike made all the difference in the world. I didn't go nuts and have a very long way to go but I did hit the biggest drop I've ever hit and it felt really smooth. I was so stoked after. I also took a few DH/FR newbies (more so than me anyway) there and I have to say that the new skills area was a huge confidence boost for them. They (Highland) did a great job with that. Can't make it there this weekend. My weekends are pretty much filled up with family stuff from now until September. Going to try to play hooky and take head up there a couple more times on a Friday maybe.
    Egg

fried stuff with cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    keep wearing what you have...after a while you get used to the bulk-e-ness

in the long run you will be safer wearing what you have
    I've been wearing what I have for three seasons now and it's no less bulky feeling that when I first put it on. I think it's a combo of it being to large for me and the shoulder cups being bigger than the newer styles that are out now. I think if it were a medium vs. a large it would fit better.
    Egg

Members who have read this thread: 0