Reccommended Shoes for Mallet C- Mtbr.com

May 2004

New question here. Reccommended Shoes for Mallet C

The subject line is pretty self-explanatory. I just bought some Mallet C's (my first clipless pedals), and I need some advice on what shoe to buy. Thanks.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smithk
    The subject line is pretty self-explanatory. I just bought some Mallet C's (my first clipless pedals), and I need some advice on what shoe to buy. Thanks.
    Any SPD compatible shoes should be fine. There are couple of things to keep in mind

The most import thing about bike shoes is that they're snug. You want just nuff room to wiggle your toes. Loose shoe will not tranfser energy as well and engery transfer is the reason for having clipless pedals.

The other thing you should keep in mind is walkability or the stiffness of the sole. The stiffer the sole the better the energy transfer. But If you riding in an area where you have to do a lot of hike a bike, then you might want to get a pair with somewhat more flexiable sole so it easier to hike.

The last thing is strap vs laces. Now this is personally preferance. Some people like straps are better because you don't have the risk of the lace coming undo and getting caught in the drivetrain. Other like the snugger fit you can with laces.

May 2004
    Thanks for the tips on what to look for in a shoe. I've read that some people have had to dremmel their cleats to get their shoes to work with the Mallets. Any suggestions on a specific shoe that doesn't have this problem? Thanks.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smithk
    Thanks for the tips on what to look for in a shoe. I've read that some people have had to dremmel their cleats to get their shoes to work with the Mallets. Any suggestions on a specific shoe that doesn't have this problem? Thanks.
    I haven't heard of anyone dremmelling (is that a word?) their cleats, but I've have heard of people trimming their treads with eggbeaters because the tread interferred with clipping in and out. Tread interface is an issue with eggbeaters and Crank Bros actually supplies you with shims to raise the cleat to get around that issue. If you need more then a pair shims, Crank Bros will provide them for free (or at least that what I've been told).

I have an old pair of Answers that I use with my road bike (which has the standard eggbeaters). They don't require the shims.

j.a

May 2004
    I just bought my first clipless pedals, they happen to also be the Mallet C.
    I went with shoes from 661 ( http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/shoemain.html ), the Neuvo.
    The soles are not extremely stiff making them easy to hike in, i did have to use shims because of the soles. What I like about them was that they look like hiking shoes and not the more traditional mountain bike or road shoes and the fact that you can use them with or without clips\cleats. Hope this helps.