Rearview Camera for Cyclists- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Rearview Camera for Cyclists

I've posted a survey in other forums (thanks again to the participants); at the suggestion of some users here is an open discussion.

I'm a student-engineer working on a capstone design project. The idea is to mount a wide angle camera on your seatpost and either pair it to your phone or a dedicated screen situated on the center of your bars.

The objective being: give you a live shot of cars behind you and eliminate the need to stand up and shift back to see.

What would be most helpful is to hear your experience in sharing the road with cars. What are your biggest pains? You can tell us the idea stinks, it's great, what you would change, how much you would pay, or are you not concerned with cars at all? Free forum!

mtbr member
    I think you're not getting the response you hoped for because you posted this in the clothing forum on a mountain bike site. We're not generally concerned about what's behind us because most of the time, it's not cars. People reading this forum are asking questions about... pants or something, not gadgets intended for a different sport.

mtbr member
    You get a rear light with an internal camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I think you're not getting the response you hoped for because you posted this in the clothing forum on a mountain bike site. We're not generally concerned about what's behind us because most of the time, it's not cars. People reading this forum are asking questions about... pants or something, not gadgets intended for a different sport.
    Hey Joules, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I don't have a desired response - positive and negative feedback are equally helpful.

I'm hearing that you in particular are not concerned about what's behind you. Noted.

I understood this section to be about apparel and protection... the latter being my focus.

L1MEY
    It sounds like a good idea, especially if you can also record footage that could be used as evidence in hit and run or road rage incidents. If you can combine the camera with a flashing red light and reflector in a weather sealed unit that would be good.

I would try putting this in the commuter subforum as that's where it will get the most attention from people who ride on the road. The "protection" referred to in this subforum is more like helmets and body armour for mountain biking than road safety equipment.
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    It sounds like a good idea, especially if you can also record footage that could be used as evidence in hit and run or road rage incidents. If you can combine the
    I was going to say the same thing, use the internal sensors in the phone to somehow stop record in loop mode and save the data. This way if the cyclist is incapacitated, the evidence isn't recorded over.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    It sounds like a good idea, especially if you can also record footage that could be used as evidence in hit and run or road rage incidents. If you can combine the camera with a flashing red light and reflector in a weather sealed unit that would be good.

I would try putting this in the commuter subforum as that's where it will get the most attention from people who ride on the road. The "protection" referred to in this subforum is more like helmets and body armour for mountain biking than road safety equipment.
    Thanks, Jen. Good feedback.

I posted a survey in the Commuter forum and collected some information from them (Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oIH...true#responses). I'm trying to get some different eyes on it by posting it in different places. I know it's a bit of a nuisance!

I noticed there was a sub dedicated to cameras, as well, so that will be my next (and probably last) stop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, use the internal sensors in the phone to somehow stop record in loop mode and save the data. This way if the cyclist is incapacitated, the evidence isn't recorded over.
    We've had several requests for the recording function. Thanks for the feedback on how you'd like that function to operate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Year round bike commuter in Boston. I use a side view mirror. Works well, no batteries needed. As said, the commuting forum is what you want. Better yet, go to " Bike Forums" many more commuters, general bikers and road bikers over there, cheers.

mtbr member
    ^^^ a mirror is better in every way. A big one is you don't have to shift focus from far to looking at a nearby screen. Also, the direction of view is intuitive. A flat mirror shows size and distance intuitively. It requires no power source to operate. Color rendering and contrast is accurate.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Other than real time video, what you are thinking about mostly exists, though in separate units.

I work with a guy that has both the Fly6 combo rear camera and the garmin radar thingy.

I have the Fly6 and Fly12 cameras on my commuter. Both have sensors such that tipping the bike beyond 60 degrees will preserve the last several minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have a Cycliq Fly6 on my road bike.
    10 minute recording loop unless you have a massive card. I got one capable of recording 8 hours. But as was also stated above, if the bike is tipped beyond 60* or so, the camera automatically stops all looping and saves the last hour I think I heard.

Garmin has a HUD, the "Varia Vision" that will pair with the Varia rearview radar. If you have a Fly6, a Varia, and the Varia Vision, you are basically as "protected" as you can get.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is excellent, so you can see your text messages on your phone and run into a light pole.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.