Rain jacket- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rain jacket

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rain jacket

Looking for a nice jacket for rain rides. Anyone have good experience with a jacket that is waterproof and has good breathability?

Like these so far

Endura mt500 2 -expensive @ $175
    Endura singletrack jacket - $97 not sure about breathability
    Altura Mayhem waterproof - $98 mixed reviews
    Dakine Caliber - $180 pricey and no one has them
    Royal Racing Matrix- $100 seems like it isn't very breathable.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check Bikepacking.com they have good review of some rain jackets for biking

mtbr member
    I bought the Royal Matrix and it is waterproof but not very breathable. I generally never wear it climbing, only on the 2nd part of the ride (fun part). I got it because it was cheap and the hood fits over my helmet. The hood is great when you get caught in a deluge. Of those listed I would get the MT500 based on the reviews or just go with a cheap jacket. It doesn't need to be cycling specific, lots of good rain jackets from all the outdoor clothing manufacturers. Read some backpacking reviews.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

eri
    mtbr member
    I just ordered a Castelli gabba 2 based on this thread and then hugely positive reviews across the internets:

http://forums.mtbr.com/washington/ra...r-1027334.html

They renamed the long sleeve version to 'perfetto' this year so old model is on sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I just picked up a Performance Bike Impasse II, hood fits over helmet, has pit zips and drop down tail in the back if more protection needed. seems to breathe fairly well for a raincoat. As for rainproof qualities, I wore it in a light drizzle type rain and stayed dry. Have not tested in heavy rain yet. It's very lightweight and best of all it's on sale for $99 and often they have 20% off one item so it's reasonably priced for the features.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I have been eyeballing a KUIU rain jacket for the past few seasons. It would not be used 100% for riding but I think this would make a great rain jacket when you are on the bike in harsh wet conditions. It has some great breathability specs all in a 9oz jacket. They have a few versions but this is what I am thinking...anyone use their gear while riding?

• 8.9 oz
    • 106 g/m2
    • 3-Layer construction
    • Toray Dermizax NX waterproof breathable membrane - 20,000mm/40,000g/m2/24hr
    • ULTRA lightweight and breathable
    • 2-way stretch

Rain jacket-kuiuijacket.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    I just ordered a Castelli gabba 2 based on this thread and then hugely positive reviews across the internets:

http://forums.mtbr.com/washington/ra...r-1027334.html

They renamed the long sleeve version to 'perfetto' this year so old model is on sale.
    Best riding clothing investment I've made yet.

Seriously nice piece of kit. It fits pretty small, though.
    Death from Below.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Best riding clothing investment I've made yet.

Seriously nice piece of kit. It fits pretty small, though.
    Love to hear that. Normally I stick with thrift stores but in this case I'm willing to spend more since I'm expecting the impossible.

In case anyone else is interested, I'd like to emphasize the goofy sizing:

I'm 6', 73" wingspan, weight varies from 175 to 195 (depending on sport). Wider shoulders, what tailors call 'square shoulders.'

Usually I'm between an 'L' and an 'XL'. I ordered the 'XXL' gabba 2 and couldn't stand straight - even in biking position it was too tight across the shoulders and onto the deltoids, inhibited elbow movement.

Sent it back for the '3XL' it arrived last night and fit is unusual when standing but perfect on the bike. Room for shoulders and even for a thin wool liner. Sleeve length is perfect.

So... '3XL': In my head that's someone that put years of passion into the BBQ industry, but in the case of castelli it means 6' and 178.

mtbr member
    3xl, 178
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    3xl, 178
    No doubt..huh? that would put me at a 6X or so...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have been doing a lot of research and still cannot decide. I really want to want the Endura but $200 is a lot and I am wondering if other brands such as Marmot or Outdoor Research would be better options as their fabrics have Gor Tex. I am thinking they have a broader customer base which leads me to belive they may have better tech in their products....I am probably over thinking this but I really like to get the best for the $$.

mtbr member
    Polartec Neoshell is (supposedly) the latest and most breathable WP fabric to date. It'll cost you though.

I have yet to try a WP jacket that is breathable enough to exercise in, without getting soaked from the inside out, but I'm in the SE, so humidity is always a big factor, even in winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Polartec Neoshell is (supposedly) the latest and most breathable WP fabric to date. It'll cost you though.

I have yet to try a WP jacket that is breathable enough to exercise in, without getting soaked from the inside out, but I'm in the SE, so humidity is always a big factor, even in winter.
    I just found the NeoShell but was wondering if the softshell would be too bulky....and it is expensive...yikes. eVent looks like a good one too but is also pretty pricey.

I think I may be too hung up on the breath-ability. When it rains here in NorCal it is usually cold or cool but may be moving to OR so not sure what that will bring in the warmer months.

mtbr member
    I bought a EMS Helix Neoshell jacket 3 years ago for riding. I rode in it once and decided that it was too nice to destroy mountain biking. It is my hiking and daily rain jacket now and Neoshell is the real deal. It would be an outstanding mtb rain jacket. I paid $200 back then.

EMS Men's Helix Jacket Free Shipping at $49
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I have a Patagonia Torrentshell with their "H2No" fabric, it was fairly cheap ($100ish), it's very light weight, fits well, the hood fits over my helmet, and it's got pit zips. I really like it.

I wear the Patagucc as my every-day rain jacket and didn't want to wreck it mountain biking, so I decided to try the Gore Power Trail mtb-specific jacket last year. It's got the Gore Tex Active fabric that is supposed to be highly breathable. No pit zips and really expensive. I should have known better than to buy a rain shell without pit zips (I am a sweaty beast). Suffice it to say, now I'm going to spend more money to send it to a specialty shop to add pit zips. Also, the hood doesn't fit over the helmet and the cut is kinda roadie-oriented -- in a sz large, which otherwise fit well, I couldn't raise my arms over my head. I don't wear XL in anything, except this jacket. anyway, that's a very long way of saying I wish I would've just bought another Patagonia to use for bike rides. actually, I could've bought 3 more for the price of the Gore...

I also have jackets/pants with Event and Neoshell fabrics. I use them for bc skiing. They breathe as well as anything I've tried, but I still need the pit zips. No way I will spend $300 on another mtb-specific jacket for use in inclement weather that will get stained with mud, crashed in, or snagged on branches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I picked up the Columbia Titanium EvaPOURation Premium rain shell for $90usd. $130MSRP.

Rain jacket-m_1656421_super-sonicgrey-ash__0.jpg

It's stated as being fully breathable, but from what I've experienced there is an exception when wearing a backpack. The hood is large enough for a helmet. Fits over my Giro Feature without snagging or binding. However, in the first week, part of the hood draw string on the left side came detached, but the hood will still close.

The back is stated as being 29" long, and it does cover part of my but when in attack mode, yet, when in attack mode, the sleeves push back over the wrist. When standing the sleeves drop past my knuckles. Columbia does not cover bike riding in the jackets design, so the jacket is not designed for reaching, is not designed with bike riding in mind.

"this jacket also zips into its own pocket." I still have yet to figure out what Columbia means by this, or how it works?

I'm not excited about this jacket. It does the job of keeping me dry, but I'd say that the design of the hood draws and reach is flawed... 6/10
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

jct
    mtbr member
    i got an endura MTR emergency shell early this year and like it alot. super minimalist. no vents, pockets or velcro anywhere. very packable.

you can probably scoop one up on discount as they've rolled out a newer model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    40% off Gore-Tex Pro jacket right meow.
    "Sweet!"
    "Thanks bro!"

You're welcome.

PS Acre Supply has PolarTec Neoshell cycling jackets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I pulled the trigger on this....
    Marker Freel Polartec® NeoShell® Ski Jacket (For Men) - Save 64%

With a coupon it was $119 for a $425 jacket. Has the NeoShell and looks very nice. I didn't want to shell out $300+ for something I may destroy so I hope it works. Never heard of the brand before but seems like it is nice quality and has the NeoShell so figured it will suit fine....although as pdxmark said...the sleeves may be a bit short for riding but I'll manage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I pulled the trigger on this....
    Marker Freel Polartec® NeoShell® Ski Jacket (For Men) - Save 64%

With a coupon it was $119 for a $425 jacket. Has the NeoShell and looks very nice. I didn't want to shell out $300+ for something I may destroy so I hope it works. Never heard of the brand before but seems like it is nice quality and has the NeoShell so figured it will suit fine....although as pdxmark said...the sleeves may be a bit short for riding but I'll manage.
    How has the Marker jacket been doing so far? How's the fit for riding?

What coupon did you use? TIA.

Sent from my OnePlus 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have only done 1 short ride in it and it was pretty awesome. The fit is how I like, a bit baggier. I got an Xl and normally wear XL but could have got a L for a more tapered fit. The quality of the jacket seems great. I wore my new pair of Royal Racing Storm shorts with the jacket and sprayed myself down with the hose. The Marker jacket shed off all the water no matter how hard the spray. The shorts only did so for a few seconds.

I signed up for their news letter and they sent a coupon....it was a one time use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I have only done 1 short ride in it and it was pretty awesome. The fit is how I like, a bit baggier. I got an Xl and normally wear XL but could have got a L for a more tapered fit. The quality of the jacket seems great. I wore my new pair of Royal Racing Storm shorts with the jacket and sprayed myself down with the hose. The Marker jacket shed off all the water no matter how hard the spray. The shorts only did so for a few seconds.

I signed up for their news letter and they sent a coupon....it was a one time use.
    Thanks for the follow up. Were the arms long enough without pulling?

Does the jacket have pit zips?

My main concern with these high tech fabrics is the maintenance to keep them performing. Since our usage will inevitably result in mud streaks up the backside, etc. I am worried about how these fabrics will hold up to multiple washings over time.

It looks like a nice jacket that could do double duty on the slopes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus View Post
    Thanks for the follow up. Were the arms long enough without pulling?

Does the jacket have pit zips?

My main concern with these high tech fabrics is the maintenance to keep them performing. Since our usage will inevitably result in mud streaks up the backside, etc. I am worried about how these fabrics will hold up to multiple washings over time.

It looks like a nice jacket that could do double duty on the slopes.

The arms are good length..no issue. It does have pit zips and the pockets are vents as well.
    I had researched and researched a lot on what I wanted. Ultimately I found/figured they all source fabrics from the same companies and think that the snow board jackets are very similar to mtb specific aside from drop tail. I was set on the expensive Endura MT500 until I read about the PolarTec fabric. I watched a video that compared Nanoshell vs Event vs Goretex and it sold me on the Nano shell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oclIqrEAuGg

I figured if Nanoshell was out breathing Event and Goretex then whatever Endura had wouldn't compare since those companies make a lot of product. I am not knocking any others just this is my conclusion and what I felt comfortable with.
    I doubt it would be any less durable than an MTB specific jacket in the mud. I am buying the NIKWax wash as it is recommended by Polartec but in their care instructions mild detergent and low temp tumble dry should work. Nikwax also has a wash for to help the DWR coating as well.

It boils down to what you are comfortable with. I am happy with the Marker.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2nd EMS Helix 50% off. I already have 1 that is my daily rain jacket and I love it. The hood cover my helmet, pit zips, pocket vents, sleeve pocket, inner pockets and a high collar.

EMS® Men?s Polartec® NeoShell Helix Jacket - Eastern Mountain Sports Free Shipping on orders over $49!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rain jacket-ems-helix.jpg  

Formerly Travis Bickle

western NC
    ^^I was about to order the EMS Thunderhead since it's on sale right now. But the reviews claim the fit isn't athletic cut anymore. I don't ride in the rain if I can help it, and I want something that packs down really small, and not spend $150 or more. I know, I know, I want it all.